Does Anyone HAVE a Maryland CCW?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone HAVE a Maryland CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Foremost- Yes, I know its a pain to get. Yes I know not many have it. Yes, I know MD sucks for guns. I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foremost- Yes, I know its a pain to get. Yes I know not many have it. Yes, I know MD sucks for guns.

I just want to know if anyone out there has a MD CCW.

My main question is about your permit can be regulated as to where you can carry. Is this written on the card itself? For instance if you want to carry because of your business will they regulate you to only your working hours and going to and from work? While that would be a pain in the ass to regulate will they do this.

My other question is about where you can carry. Besides the usual FED buildings/ state buildings all I have found so far are schools. Besides any store who says no guns is there anything else I am missing. See below as to what I know.

MD Criminal Law 4-102.

(b) A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property

MD Criminal Code 4-208. Possession of firearm at public demonstration.

(2) A person may not have a firearm in the person's possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:
    (i) the person has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place; and
    (ii) the person has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the person disposes of the firearm.

MD Criminal Code 4-207. Permit holder carrying, wearing, or transporting handgun under the influence.

Thanks.

Let me tell you about an event about me and a MD CHL...

I once worked at the University of Maryland.
    Due to some events that happened there, a crazed Arab husband (no I didn't sleep with his wife) for some reason picked me out and was totally delusional thinking I (and my mother) was someone and did something that I didn't.

Now keep in mind this was about 7 months after 9-11 happened.

He and two car loads of other Arab men (they were from Jordan) followed me after work/school, came to my house and followed me a few times when I was with friends and made personal threats to me.

I filed charges with the States attorney (a family friend) and notified the FBI.
    The County Police did an investigation and the Annapolis FBI office also made an "Inquiry" about the group of men.

My mother at the time also taught at the U of MD and he and a few of his cronies basically stalked her as well.

The police did arrest him for making "terrorist threats over the phone", the FBI arrested him for "making threats using the US Postal service".

At that time I applied to the MD State police for a Maryland license to carry a concealed firearm. I had the Assistant States attorney and the FBI agent as references and NO criminal record.
    Yet I wasn't able to get a license to carry.

Now, if I didn't have "reason enough" to get a MD CHL, who does?
    You can obtain one. But I think they only give them out to Judges, politicians or some of the actors that live in Maryland.

That's when I decided to move out of that state. It made me sick to know my tax money was going to pay for that states government and state police.

Now, Im not trying to get banned on here for "discussion of illegal activities". But let me say, that I made sure I was armed during that whole event.
    What's a shame, is if I had gotten caught I would have been charged with a felony. For simply trying to defend myself.

Screw Maryland. Now with O'mailey as governor your gun rights are going to be worse than California and New Jersey.
    If any of you live in MD, GET OUT NOW!
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

MD has always been notorious for its anti-gun stance.

I HAD a carry permit once when I was working as a Special Police Officer. When I looked into getting one for my wife, the questions I was asked were:

1) Does she regularly carry more than $10K worth of cash, jewelry or other property during her work?
    2) Has she filed three or more police reports indicating someone has attacked her?

When I truthfully answered no to both those questions I was told not to try to get her a permit. It would be a waste of time.

Last I checked the law, carrying illegally in MD was a two year misdemeanor offense. Being a misdemeanor, if it was discovered, the police officer(s) had discretion as to whether or not he arrested you for it. That said, I believe the current MD court policy is mandatory 30 days for anyone convicted. I will check further and post what details I can confirm.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post

Last I checked the law, carrying illegally in MD was a two year misdemeanor offense. Being a misdemeanor, if it was discovered, the police officer(s) had discretion as to whether or not he arrested you for it. That said, I believe the current MD court policy is mandatory 30 days for anyone convicted. I will check further and post what details I can confirm.

Wow, when did they change carrying handgun in MD from a felony to a misdemeanor?

Well, I actively worked the street from 1986 through 2000 and have stayed a police trainer since then (and still a cop just not working the street much). As far as I know it was never a felony. The courts and prosecutors liked to treat it as such, but every time I ever looked at the law and potential penalties it was listed as a misdemeanor. In fact, way back in the '80s, it was a one-year crime... not two, and no mandatory minimums.

If I get a chance on Tuesday (when I go back in to the office) I'll double check the code and see what it says.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post
    Well, I actively worked the street from 1986 through 2000 and have stayed a police trainer since then (and still a cop just not working the street much). As far as I know it was never a felony. The courts and prosecutors liked to treat it as such, but every time I ever looked at the law and potential penalties it was listed as a misdemeanor. In fact, way back in the '80s, it was a one-year crime... not two, and no mandatory minimums.

If I get a chance on Tuesday (when I go back in to the office) I'll double check the code and see what it says.

Thanks for looking into that when you get a chance.

I know that the MD Annotated Code I looked at, was listed as "Carrying a concealed handgun on your person" and it said it was a Felony with a five year maximum.

So, maybe they have different laws for carrying one, carrying one in your vehicle and maybe carrying a rifle or shotgun?

Or they just may have made more laws since the last time I had to look. It wouldn't be uncommon for a govt entity to make additional laws creating redundant charges. Back the last time I looked it was only ONE law: carrying a concealed deadly weapon.

Will look...
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

Forgive the long post, but pulled straight from the online MD Annotated Code:

Still shows a misdemeanor but minimum punishment of 30 days MANDATED by law, maximum of three years; and right in the early sections of the text (not copied here) it says that additional laws are necessary to address the violence caused by firearms.

§ 4-203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

(iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;

(iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;

(v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or

(vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff's deputy;

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or

(8) the carrying or transporting of a signal pistol or other visual distress signal approved by the United States Coast Guard in a vessel on the waterways of the State or, if the signal pistol or other visual distress signal is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, in a vehicle.

(c) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.

(2) If the person has not previously been convicted under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:

(i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both; or

(ii) if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 90 days.

(3) (i) If the person has previously been convicted once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:

1. except as provided in item 2 of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 1 year and not exceeding 10 years; or

2. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years.

(ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.

(4) (i) If the person has previously been convicted more than once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title, or of any combination of these crimes:

1. except as provided in item (2) of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years; or

2. A. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years; or

B. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iv) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years.

(ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz View Post
    I just want to know if anyone out there has a MD CCW.
    You'll notice the positive response numbers are just staggering! (And the sarcasm has cost you nothing. )

I've been told many times applying is like making a contribution to the State's coffers for "normal" people.

Granted that is not for the lack of trying, especially over the last few years. We have a well organized group trying for "shall carry", but sadly the proposals never seem to get out of committee, not that a vote would be assured success if it did.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

A bit off topic, but I visited Boston about a year and a half ago, at that time I lived in IL, so a knife was the only legal way to carry a weapon. We decided to visit the USS Constitution which is considered a military installation. At this time I was still in the military, I noticed a sign saying that knives were not allowed, so I figured that you just hand it over and get it back on the way out. The park ranger lost it when he saw the 4 inch benchmade folder I had. To make a long story short he ran may name, of course I had no record, and because I was military he said "i won't arrest you" but "I am keeping your knife." When I asked what the deal was with knifes he said you can't carry anything over 2 inches, when I asked why, he said because many people in Boston are getting stabbed and robbed.......ok....

Now I know this has been said a million times, but do you really think that law is going to keep knives out of the hands of those types of people? Of course it is going to keep them out of the hands of citizens that want to protect them selfs in a state that has a useless cc policy. My wife loves Boston, I broke her heart when I said I would never live in MA. At least in IL and WI I had something to protect my self with!!! If I ever have to go there again I'll carry a cane.

Scott

Smile Maryland CCW, Bigfoot

Maryland CCW is like Bigfoot. I have heard of a Maryland CCW and Bigfoot. But I've never actually seen either one!
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    ... My wife loves Boston, I broke her heart when I said I would never live in MA. At least in IL and WI I had something to protect my self with!!! If I ever have to go there again I'll carry a cane.

Scott
    I'm from a town about 30 miles northwest of Boston. My wife loves walking around fanuel hall, the aquarium, the museums, and chinatown... but I feel absolutely naked, and I'm the one that grew up in the state! I intend to make a point of budgeting $100/year for our new england trips to get my MA non-res LTC... asinine that it may be, I just don't feel right without at LEAST my Kel-Tec. The last time we were in Boston, I was carrying my knife and umbrella - and it was raining, so I really only had the knife.

I get where you're coming from. Great town, but the politically inbred leadership and the brainwashed constituents aren't helping the state any. I'm surprised you liked IL better; from what I've heard it's about the same amount of hoops to jump through.

Well my reason for my CCW is for my business. My storefront opens here shortly. I want to be able to carry concealed as I will be working all day and late nights.

Now say MD does come back and say No. Which to me would be a crock considering what I will be doing.

MD recognizes Utah's permit doesn't it. I will be applying for my Utah permit here shortly after I take a class from an instructor. So that will put me in the clear on that one. If indeed MD recognizes Utah's permit.

^^Handgunlaw says it does but upon further search I am finding nothing else. Can anyone support this?

Maryland does not recognize anyones permit except their own.
    I worked fifteen years as a civilian for a police department in Maryland, and in the course of my work became unpopular with more than a few citizens. I had one case where my life was threatened on a recorded phone line. I had an officer come in for the report, then went to the commissioners office to file the charges. I then submitted my application to M.S.P. licensing division for a permit. Both the Trooper assigned to investigate my application and her Sergeant were incredulous when my application was denied. I was told unofficially that basically until I was actually attacked, forget about it.

"MD has always been notorious for its anti-gun stance."

Was stationed at NOS, Indian Head, MD several times in the 60s and 70s. My wife took a handgun qualification and self defense course taught by a Maryland state trooper. He told his class of females: "If you shoot and wound some one who is climbing through your window, drag him into the houre and shoot him in the head. We only want to hear one story when we get there."

MD police at that time did not have any problem with a law abiding citizen who packed. Things went rapidly down hill when Marvin Mandel was elected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links