Broome County, NY

This is a discussion on Broome County, NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems as though I'll be moving there for a few years with my fiance, so she can finish college there. She attends BCC. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broome County, NY

Broome County, NY

It seems as though I'll be moving there for a few years with my fiance, so she can finish college there. She attends BCC. I'm in the process of getting my FL CCW. Should I just keep my FL licence and permit so I can at least carry in other states? It seems that even if I did get a NY pistol permit, it wouldn't be valid to carry and no other state would accept it.

I guess then there is the legality of actually having my pistols in my house in NY, so it seems to even legally have my pistols there, I'd have to get a NY identification card & pistol permit. What is your opinions? We won't be living there for more than 2 years that's for sure. I hate NY as it is, and I hate Broome County even more so. I opted to move to a nearby neighboring county that is known to issue permits but the fiance declines. I guess me moving 1,200 miles from my family and everything I have just so she can attend a community college isn't enough credibility to move ~30 miles away so I can be more comfortable living in an all-around economically depressed, dirty ass town.

2. Remove Ads

You will have to get a ny permit if you wish to legally have your firearms in your posession in ny. The process is long approx 3-6 mos
    ny does not issue non resident permits, and it honors no others.

handgunusa.com/ or packing.org would give you the specfics

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    RyanH - I was born and raised in Broome County , but now live
    in PA.

I still commute to work in NY as I am just across the border.

Is there any way you can live in PA and she can still attend BCC ?

Sometimes ones legal residence is a matter of the proper paperwork.

Anyway , feel free to ask me if you need any firsthand info on
    my former "hood"
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    It seems as though I'll be moving there for a few years with my fiance, so she can finish college there. She attends BCC. I'm in the process of getting my FL CCW. Should I just keep my FL licence and permit so I can at least carry in other states? It seems that even if I did get a NY pistol permit, it wouldn't be valid to carry and no other state would accept it.

I guess then there is the legality of actually having my pistols in my house in NY, so it seems to even legally have my pistols there, I'd have to get a NY identification card & pistol permit. What is your opinions? We won't be living there for more than 2 years that's for sure. I hate NY as it is, and I hate Broome County even more so. I opted to move to a nearby neighboring county that is known to issue permits but the fiance declines. I guess me moving 1,200 miles from my family and everything I have just so she can attend a community college isn't enough credibility to move ~30 miles away so I can be more comfortable living in an all-around economically depressed, dirty ass town.

If you are going to be here for two years then get a NY drivers license right away, and apply for a pistol permit as soon as they let you. Keep the florida permit...since they don't differentiate between resident and non-resident so that one should be as easy as an address change on your florida permit...that way you can have your pistols here. I'm guessing that from your post that Broome is one of the counties that uses "administrative restrictions" on their permits? Your NY pistol permit will, in fact, be good for carry legally everywhere in the state except NYC. So, while it might not be a good idea to carry outside of your restrictions in your home county you are still legally allowed to if for some reason you "need" to do so.

You can also do the ever popular move of joining a 24 hour range and always being on your way to the range.

I thought if one is transporting a pistol to the range, it has to be in unloaded, locked condition unless a proper CCW permit is obtained? All of the pistol permits in Broome County are restricted to "Hunting and Target only", aka you can NOT conceal carry with them.

As for keeping the FL permit and getting a NY licence.. as far as I know, as soon as I changed my residence to NY, my FL permit would become void. Am I wrong on that?

I thought if one is transporting a pistol to the range, it has to be in unloaded, locked condition unless a proper CCW permit is obtained? All of the pistol permits in Broome County are restricted to "Hunting and Target only", aka you can NOT conceal carry with them.
    All permits in NY state are concealed carry permits. You can still carry concealed in NY state with a restricted permit as long as you are traveling to, traveling from or participating in one of the listed activities on it. It doesn't need to be unloaded and locked.

Can anyone shed light on this? I've searched all over packing.org and cannot find anything related to carrying to/from the range. Also, does anybody know of an actual 24 hour range? lol

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/me...MMONQUERY=LAWS

look at PL 400.00 of the law, It's about pistol permits.

Part 2.(f) says:
    (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof;
    Although not addressed in the state law, we all know some counties restrict their permits, which limits to where you can carry. That does not change how you can carry. Per the law you must carry concealed, open carry is not allowed.

That's my take on it. I know lots of people who conceal on the way to the range, too. I'm not a lawyer or a gun law expert, though.

edit: also read this. His interpretation is the same as mine.... http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/nys-ccw.html

Can anyone shed light on this? I've searched all over packing.org and cannot find anything related to carrying to/from the range. Also, does anybody know of an actual 24 hour range? lol
    OK here's the "simple" version.
    All NYS pistol permits are concealed carry permits. They allow you to legally carry a pistol (that is listed on your permit) anywhere in the state outside of NYC. Some areas put "administrative restrictions" on the permits that say things like "hunting and target only". The catch is that these restrictions have zero legal bearing. The NY State police home page points this out as well. In other words, it is not a crime to carry outside of the restrictions of your permit. That's the good news. The bad news is that if you have a restricted permit, and you are "caught" carrying outside of your restrictions and the officer that catches you feels like reporting it to your issuing judge then you could possibly get your permit revoked. I've not heard of anyone getting their permit revoked for carrying outside of their restrictions, but I'm sure it has happened. There are at least a two or three 24 hour ranges in the southern part of the state I'll try to find the names for you. Some people like to go this route...I don't know if I would personally do it, but I'm not saying I wouldn't. But some people get a membership and always keep some ear muffs, targets, etc in the trunk...perfectly legal but playing the system a bit if you know what I mean. As to your FL permit...you should be able to just do a change of address with them and be fine. FL issues permits to people out of state all the time...heck it's one of the most popular permits to get.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Ryan H - Just my personal opinion , but I do not advise anyone
    to " play the rules" in Broome Co.

I may be biased , but IMHO ,the place is full of Nazis.

Read this - http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...705280323/1006

City ticketing 'quality-of-life' violations

By Brian Liberatore
    Press & Sun-Bulletin

BINGHAMTON -- "A push from the city police and code enforcement officers to cut down on quality-of-life violations is helping to clean up the city, said Mayor Matthew T. Ryan.

Police over the past three weeks have ticketed 35 people for open-container violations, five for littering and 34 for disorderly conduct. Over the past month, the Code Enforcement Office has issued 141 littering citations......"
    -------
    Rolling through a yellow light around there will get you a $100 ticket.
    Gas prices suck.
    They are raising every tax they can.

In 6 yrs I retire - whereupon I will RARELY set foot in NY.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I definitely agree with AKsrule... find a nice place in PA a few miles away and you won't have to deal with any of NY's crap. PA is one of my favorite places to go, because they are very friendly to 2A.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    The bad news is that if you have a restricted permit, and you are "caught" carrying outside of your restrictions and the officer that catches you feels like reporting it to your issuing judge then you could possibly get your permit revoked.
    If you have targets in the trunk and a keycard to get into the range you belong to, you could be on your way to the range after you finish your errands at pretty much any time

Thank you guys for the advice! I can't find any 24 hour ranges still, but this really does shed light on the situation! Can anyone provide me with some names/locations?

As far as Binghamton goes, I despise that city and the surrounding areas. I really do. BUT, the power of the female persists. As long as I get to keep my firearms and my fast cars I'm fine. :)

Research some of these. Lots of indoor ranges allow shooting 24 hrs.

Binghamton Rifle Club, 571 Conklin Rd., Binghamton, NY 13903.
    Phone: 607-722-1153
    Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (10 m , 50 ft), Indoor Rifle (10 m, 50 ft), Archery
    Range Access: Private
    Click here for a map to the business:
    http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&ad...amton+NY+13903

same name but doesn't have the same address and phone

BINGHAMTON RIFLE CLUB,INC.
    Address: BOX 823 BINGHAMTON, NY 13902
    Voice: 1-607-729-0327 Fax:
    Keywords: SHOOTING RANGE, INDOOR HANDGUN, CLUBHOUSE, INSTRUCTION, TOURNAMENT, MEMBERS,

BINGHAMTON GUN CLUB
    Address: 235 MAIN ST JOHNSON CITY, NY 13790 USA
    Voice: 1-607-797-3313 Fax:

Broome County Sportsmens Association Inc.
    321 Foley Rd.
    Kirkwood NY 13795
    607-775-3473

Description: Private - Outdoor Pistol (50 yds), Indoor Pistol (50 ft), Outdoor Rifle (100 m), Indoor Rifle (50 ft), Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Trap, Archery, Airgun
    Last edited by darkvibe; May 28th, 2007 at 02:33 PM.

www.wheretoshoot.org also has a list of a few NY ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links