Anybody carry Two J frames?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry Two J frames? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NM laws are unique in their own special way. Over all it is gun friendly, open carry OK, vehicle is domain, don’t need to inform ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry Two J frames?

NM laws are unique in their own special way.

Over all it is gun friendly, open carry OK, vehicle is domain, don’t need to inform LE, you can carry concealed unloaded without any permit, and concealed loaded is a petty misdemeanor, no wally world carry.

I’m clueless (and curious as well) about the reasoning for the "no two guns" deal.
    Last edited by zero; May 28th, 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: oops

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Bark'n;380876]Jerry... you are most certainly entitled to your opinions... and I won't criticize you for having those opinions.
    Just be careful when you say such things as there "will never be a scenario like..." and things like that, when there already have been numerous scenario's like that.

I just feel you are rather short sided in your thoughts of why no civilian needs a back up gun...

Most ccw holders carry one gun... hell most LEO's carry one gun and I have no problem if you only want one gun. Or No guns!

Hi Bark'n,

Can you provide even one well documentated case where such a scenario actually happened? I also read the Rifleman, and do not recall having seen an instance where one needed two guns unless it was inside a business being robbed. I would like to know when it has occurred.

Regarding the percentages, I feel sure that the overall liklihood of one getting attacked and needing to use deadly force is less than 1 in 100,0000. If one considers the number of people in the US, and the number who get attacked it is a very small percentage.

Again, carry what you will, but I remain unconvinced. There is a very low probability that I will ever need a gun, and less that I will need 2. I just consider the more than one paranoia. I also seriously doubt that one has a very good chance against two or more who are well armed, or close enough to use a knife. Sure, we do the best we can, but there is a limit.

I have never personally known but one person who was attacked anywhere, and needed a weapon, and that person used a stun gun. She attended one of our CCW classes.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    NM laws are unique in their own special way.

Over all it is gun friendly, open carry OK, vehicle is domain, donít need to inform LE, you can carry concealed unloaded without any permit, and concealed loaded is a petty misdemeanor, no wally world carry.

Iím clueless (and curious as well) about the reasoning for the "no two guns" deal.
    Hi Zero,
    I think you are probably aware that the "wally world" situation will be corrected when the new law takes effect in July.
    Now to correct the problem of eating in a place that serves alcohol. That may be another year or two. Hope it does get changed.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    25% of muggings involve multiple attackers. That's 1 in 4, not 1 in 100,000. I, for one, would not be confident in my ability to neutralize two attackers with a 5 or 6 shot snubbie. To me, this is an excellent argument for a hi-cap autoloader, but if you're going to carry a snubbie, carry two and practice the New York reload.
    Hi Blackeagle,
    Assuming your figures are correct, that does not make the chance of getting mugged greater than I estimated. I am talking about the odds of getting attacked at all. You are considering the make up of an attack. I do not doubt that many are committed by more than one attacker. I think that is correct, but that does make the case for carrying two guns in my mind.

If I think 5 shots is not going to be enough I carry something with more capacity, such as a baby Glock. I have never had my Glock malfunction. I can use a 15 rnd mag, and had rather do that than carry two guns.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Hi Blackeagle,
    Assuming your figures are correct, that does not make the chance of getting mugged greater than I estimated. I am talking about the odds of getting attacked at all.
    I don't see how the odds of being mugged are relevant to this discussion. The odds of needing a gun are relevant to the decision of whether or not to carry a firearm. If the odds of getting mugged are too small to worry about, why carry a firearm at all? Conversely, if someone is concerned enough that they feel the need to carry a gun, what's the sense in carrying a weapon that's going to be inadequate in a significant number of cases?

By the way, I think you're dramatically underestimating the odds of getting mugged. If the average person has 1 in 100,000 chance of getting mugged there would only be about 3,000 muggings in the entire country.

If I think 5 shots is not going to be enough I carry something with more capacity, such as a baby Glock. I have never had my Glock malfunction. I can use a 15 rnd mag, and had rather do that than carry two guns.
    I agree that a high-cap autoloader is the way to go, but samtechlan obviously likes revolvers. If someone's going to carry a revo, two of them are the way to go.

The question is not whether one should carry or not, but whether one needs 2 guns. To that I am convinced that it would add essentially nothing to the outcome of a CHL holder defending himself.

I'll leave it at that.

Best,
    Jerry

The question is not whether one should carry or not, but whether one needs 2 guns. To that I am convinced that it would add essentially nothing to the outcome of a CHL holder defending himself.
    So, despite the fact that a substantial number of incidents involve multiple attackers, you think that having 10 rounds rather than 5, "would add essentially nothing to the outcome of a CHL holder defending himself"?

whw
    I carry two small frame revolvers most of the time. The airweight S&W 642 rides in the weak side front pocket and a Ruger SP101 rides strong side IWB. Two Bianchi speed strips ride in the strong side front pocket in case 10 shots isn't enough. It has been a great combination that many experienced instructors recommend. Do a search on "New York Reload".

I'm glad to have the reliability of the revolver and be able to fire with either hand in case one is injured in the fight. It works for me.

whw

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    So, despite the fact that a substantial number of incidents involve multiple attackers, you think that having 10 rounds rather than 5, "would add essentially nothing to the outcome of a CHL holder defending himself"?
    Not 5 vs 10 rounds, but two guns that hold 5 each vs one which holds 10 - 15. One gun would permit faster fire without the interruption that changing guns would require. If one does not have a reliable gun then he needs to get that fixed instead of carrying two.With an extra magazine, which I do not think would ever be required unless a malfunction occurred, one would have much more firepower than any revolver or number of revolvers.

I continue to think that any deadly encounter will be at close range, over in a few seconds, and reloading and changing guns will not be a factor. Until someone gives me some well documented information that is my position. To think of a long gun battle by a CHL in a parking lot is mostly nonsense. That is what LEOs do but not "civilians."

I am going to leave it there this time for sure.

Regards,
    Jerry

Not 5 vs 10 rounds, but two guns that hold 5 each vs one which holds 10 - 15.
    Like I said before, I agree that a hi-cap autoloader is a better choice, but samtechlan is a revolver guy and that's the context of this thread. If you're carrying a revolver, carrying two makes perfect sense.

I continue to think that any deadly encounter will be at close range, over in a few seconds, and reloading and changing guns will not be a factor.
    With enough practice and a well-placed backup gun, pulling out a second revolver is probably going to be even faster than reloading a semi-auto.

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I've decided to carry the
    2nd airweight IWB behind the right hip probably in a Don Hume holster to supplement the 642 in the front pocket. Just from walking around the house it seems a lot easier (probably due to weight distribution) to carry the two airweights rather that my S & W 686 with the 2.5" barrel and the ultra smooth trigger.

Need?most of us will probably never NEED even one gun(thank God)But we still carry....I say if you can comfortably carry more than one and you want to...go for it.Hopefully you won't need any of them.
    Here's a story:I bought a new smith and wesson 642...put about 400 rounds through it and thought I was good to go.I went to the range and low and behold,it wouldn't go bang every time......the timing was all frigged up......Now had I NEEDED the gun I would've been SOL.It was a new gun from a good company that had a proven track record,and still it had issues.A back up gun would've been some insurance.(oh yeah,I sent the gun to smith and they fixed it in 4days no charge,but I wasn't happy that a brand new gun had to fixed,I let the guy at smith know this and he said"oh,I understand.")
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I keep one in my waistband and one in the truck console. Steve48

pickup the August issue of Combat Handguns. Look on page 85.
    Cases number eight through fourteen are all about citizens who used their backup weapon.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    "When in doubt, the second .38 takes the worry out. You can get 10 rounds out of two 5-shot .38s almost as fast as from one 10-shot auto. And with the two little revolvers, you can always have one gun in reach of either hand. This can be a tactical lifesaver."

Article link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_65910638
    Mas is smoking gun-writer crack, again. Unless you start with a gun in each hand, you cannot physically empty one, access, draw, acquire and fire the second nearly as fast as 10 out of a single auto. Not even Jerry Miculek. Unless it was a Ruger DAO auto.

Be realistic. I'm a firm believer in hi-cap. I also understand you can't/won't be able to carry 15 on board all the time. Bottom line, if you empty your first gun, and are reaching for the second, those are seconds when someone is probably closing on you (to interfere with your draw/reload and to kill you.)

If you carry two low-cap guns, recognize the limitations, and spend as much time on fitness (running, jumping and some weights) as you do shooting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links