Anybody carry Two J frames?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry Two J frames? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S & W 642 and a 637 and generally carry just the 642 in a Mika pocket holster but I'm considering also ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry Two J frames?

Anybody carry Two J frames?

I have a S & W 642 and a 637 and generally carry just the 642 in a Mika pocket holster but I'm considering also carrying the 637 as backup. I would think that two pocket holsters might be a bit much; IWB, OWB, ankle? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

One in the pocket and one on the ankle seems to be an ideal setup. I would not bother with a J frame IWB, maybe a good OWB. Pocket carry is still the best for J frames.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Heres a clip from an article by Massad Ayoob...

"When in doubt, the second .38 takes the worry out. You can get 10 rounds out of two 5-shot .38s almost as fast as from one 10-shot auto. And with the two little revolvers, you can always have one gun in reach of either hand. This can be a tactical lifesaver."

Article link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_65910638

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    No, that is overkill. I do not know anyone who ever needed one, much less two.
    If I ever got into a deadly force encounter it would be over in a few seconds, and not a long gun battle. CHL holders are not off-duty cops, and I do not believe there would ever be a situation where one would need a second gun.

Jerry

More than one assailent, one guy takes 3 or 4 rounds to take out and your next shot is a miss on the 2nd guy. Taken out while reloading the chambers.

Mechanical problem, cartridge exploded and jammed the cylinder stuck...there's a long list of reasons why it's a good idea to carry a BUG in addition to a primary, regardless of the style of firearm.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    More than one assailent, one guy takes 3 or 4 rounds to take out and your next shot is a miss on the 2nd guy. Taken out while reloading the chambers.

Mechanical problem, cartridge exploded and jammed the cylinder stuck...there's a long list of reasons why it's a good idea to carry a BUG in addition to a primary, regardless of the style of firearm.
    If there are two or more and they have guns or knives at close range, they take several shots, and you need to reload, you are probably dead. However I do not think such a scenario will ever occur. If anyone has a RELIABLE report of such it would be interesting. In addition it would be one in 100,000 or maybe millions. I am not willing to go to much trouble for those odds.

As I have said, I do not know of anyone that I personally know who ever had an encounter and needed to use deadly force. One exception was a nurse who was stalked and grabbed when she got off work at 4 AM. The stalker grabbed her from behind and put a knife to her throat and said he was going to rape and kill her.
    She had a stun gun in her hand, reached around and put it on him. He collapsed and she continued to shock him until security arrived. Even there two guns would not have been of use.

But if it makes one feel safer, then have at it if the law allows the carry of two concealed guns. NM does not allow it. It does not bother me, even though I think it is a dumb law.

Regards,
    Jerry

Guess you've never had a well maintained vehicle break down during your commute then. Alternators going out kills the electrical system.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Yeah, NM doesn't allow two...I'm here too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Guess you've never had a well maintained vehicle break down during your commute then. Alternators going out kills the electrical system.
    No, but I still do not believe the scenario, and while one might be attacked on the road, and I do carry, the only reason I often have two guns is one for me and one for the wife.
    If someone stops to help, do you get behind a car door, draw your gun and order them away if the come close??

An attack on the road, or a rest stop, is a real possibility, and very difficult to defend against. Someone in need of help, and those who stop are reasonable looking/clean cut, one is very vulnerable, but I remain convinced that two guns on my person are not safer.

But the question was who carrys two. I have given my answer and the reasons why. I'm satisfied to leave it at that. If you or anyone else desires to carry more than one gun, then have at it.

Regards,
    Jerry

It is a personal preferance. I am a Police Officer and when working I always have two handguns. When off-duty I usually only have one with spare ammo ready for a quick reload. However, if I know that I'll be travelling in a bad area, I'll strap on a second handgun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    If there are two or more and they have guns or knives at close range, they take several shots, and you need to reload, you are probably dead. However I do not think such a scenario will ever occur. If anyone has a RELIABLE report of such it would be interesting. In addition it would be one in 100,000 or maybe millions. I am not willing to go to much trouble for those odds.
    25% of muggings involve multiple attackers. That's 1 in 4, not 1 in 100,000. I, for one, would not be confident in my ability to neutralize two attackers with a 5 or 6 shot snubbie. To me, this is an excellent argument for a hi-cap autoloader, but if you're going to carry a snubbie, carry two and practice the New York reload.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    For most private citizens, I think the chances of ever needing two handguns are rather remote, [as is the chance of needing one, in reality] but I see the logic behind the concept. I have toyed with the idea of picking up a couple of J-frames for just that purpose, but just never have.......

I usually have one semi-auto concealed one my person, but for anyone that desires to carry multiple handguns, I say "go for it." To each his own.

I find the New Mexico no two gun law interesting, and rather odd. I was unaware of it until now. Anyone know the reasoning behind it, if any?

Jerry... you are most certainly entitled to your opinions... and I won't criticize you for having those opinions.

Just be careful when you say such things as there "will never be a scenario like..." and things like that, when there already have been numerous scenario's like that.

I just feel you are rather short sided in your thoughts of why no civilian needs a back up gun...

Lots of documented cases in which citizens... not LEO's having needed and used a Back Up Gun to stay alive.

Most ccw holders carry one gun... hell most LEO's carry one gun and I have no problem if you only want one gun. Or No guns!

Just don't state things as fact when it's untrue.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Dear Jerry... you want proof of such cases... Join the NRA and read "the armed citizen" column in any one of their 3 monthly magazines. There are usually at least one issue a year where those circumstances occur. No... you're not going to find one in every issue, but it does happen.

Buy the book, "The Ayoob Files" and read it. http://www.ayoob.com/

I won't do the research for you if you are too lazy to do it yourself, but I will point you in the right direction for you to look it up yourself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    25% of muggings involve multiple attackers. That's 1 in 4, not 1 in 100,000. I, for one, would not be confident in my ability to neutralize two attackers with a 5 or 6 shot snubbie. To me, this is an excellent argument for a hi-cap autoloader, but if you're going to carry a snubbie, carry two and practice the New York reload.
    That's exactly the reason why I'm considering carrying the two airweights. I prefer revolvers to autos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links