lethal force?

This is a discussion on lethal force? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gddyup Very well covered here. Disparity of force IS a viable reason to use lethal self-defense if warranted. Two 90 year old ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lethal force?

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Very well covered here. Disparity of force IS a viable reason to use lethal self-defense if warranted.

Two 90 year old men coming towards you on walkers saying they are going to "kick your ass" is not a reasonable disparity of force situation to involve lethal self-defense....

Two 21 year biker dudes walking at you rattling a 3 foot chain a-piece saying they are gonna "kick your ass" would more suitably justify drawing a weapon and being prepared to employ lethal self-defense!
    Id draw my weapon even if 2 guys were following me about to rob me because you have no idea what they might pull out before they reach you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by EZDYNAMICS View Post
    Id draw my weapon even if 2 guys were following me about to rob me because you have no idea what they might pull out before they reach you.
    How would you know they were about to rob you?
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

LOL how would i know hmm lets see ive been robbed 4 times, I know what the signs are and i know how to tell! One time when i was 22 I was walking on the railroad tracks and looked behind me to see at least 15 younger 14-17 yr old black males, now i was drinking something id mixed up in a pop bottle and they new i was drinking but not intoxicated at all, anyways 2 of them from the group that started following me caught up to me and wear on the otherside of the track and asked if they could have some and i said no, i could tell at that moment my life was on the line being in a secluded area, I ran like crazy down a wooded area and they ALL followed me soon i got near some projects and dropped my bottle on purpose and amazingly i got away and went to a walgreens near by to tell a cop what happened. I have many more true storys, so can you understand how i know, i mainly tell by their eyes, their eyes give it away everytime.

I'm pretty sure the law would not look kindly on drawing a firearm on a couple of guys "walking behind you". There's nothing wrong with being in Condition Yellow at that point and being aware of your surroundings, but to draw a weapon before you KNOW their intentions is reckless IMO, and certainly illegal..
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I have pruned this thread and if you cant continue it in a friendly manner it will be locked .. No Flames No name Calling

"IMO, the "reasonable man" standard pertains, here. If you believe the attack is in earnest, and that the person is actually attempting to disarm you, the conclusion you should reach is that he believes himself capable of surmounting your defenses, taking your gun, and (presumably) using it. You're very likely to get killed, if he gets your weapon. By all means, I would defend against that, to the degree necessary, no matter the cost to the BG."

"By the way, in no place where I've lived is it a legal requirement that a BG has a separate lethal weapon in order for me to be attacked, or for me to be at risk of grievous harm, or for a crime to be committed. The standard is this: if I'm at risk, whether due to an edged weapon, a firearm, a stick, a bat, a club, a pen, a steel-toed boot, multiple steel-toed boots, 250 lbs of muscle beyond my ability to withstand ... any of that ... then, I'm at risk of grievous harm. I then have the right to defend myself. No matter the threat, if the threat is real. Disparity of force is, at the core, the whole rationale behind what makes a lethal weapon, well, lethal. It's so far beyond the ability of your hands, generally speaking, that it's what tips the scales. In exactly that sort of way, a half-dozen aggressors tips the scales. Game's on. Defend yourself."

Bingo. It is my personal opinion that Mas Ayoob should have written more about shooting at bowling pins and less about self defense. If you pay too much attention to Ayoob you may end up dead.

Yeah I've wondered at this before, being muscular, 6'6", 310 pounds or so, and 22.

I suppose just about anyone would have a good argument in most cases about how I could use my fists or whatever to fight off the BG instead of my gun.

Problem is, I have a friend half my size that couldn't lift 90 pounds if his life depended on it, that can whoop my ass. Do I trust my estimate of every BG's fighting/training techniques to draw/not draw?

No. If someone is posing a threat, I draw. I do not waste time trying to "beat him up" or any such nonsense. If I cannot retreat, I will attack.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    You may be the biggest, strongest guy in the world and yet you are no match for a skinny short guy who knows how to use a knife.

Your approach is correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links