I'd rather die than shoot anyone! - Page 3

I'd rather die than shoot anyone!

This is a discussion on I'd rather die than shoot anyone! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy Why do those people carry if they are not going to use their weapon? My friend that is a question ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'd rather die than shoot anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Why do those people carry if they are not going to use their weapon?
    My friend that is a question for the ages, but I do know two or three of them. I used to work with a guy at the pd that had the same stance. I can even go on further, I know a Sheriff Deputy that REFUSES to carry a gun!
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

"Most people would rather die than think. In fact, they do." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am willing to bet that if someone with that metallity was kidnaped, raped and tortured for any length of time would be wishing they had a gun and would be willing to shoot
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    I am willing to bet that if someone with that metallity was kidnaped, raped and tortured for any length of time would be wishing they had a gun and would be willing to shoot
    You would think so.
    But that's not always the case.
    Some people go through horrendous things, and in the end they feel as though they made it happen and deserved it somehow.
    The human mind is a strange thing, and at times baffles logical thinking.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    So yes folks - these people exist ... and pretty obviously are NOT candidates for concealed carry!.

It's amazing ....... truly. <still shaking head in disbelief>
    They're called tree-hugging, tie-dye t-shirt wearing, hippie liberals. Their views are based on emotion, not logic or reason. Don't waste your time with them.

Perfect example of the Darwin theorum.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I like Tye Dye Shirts
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Administrator
    Well, as long as they never have to deal with any life threatening situation they will survive.

If they are involved in a life threatening situation and they get shot, stabbed, or slammed over the head....then it's (I guess) 50/50 as to if they live or not.

I wish them much luck since that is all they have in their favor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When someone says they'd rather die than kill someone it makes me shudder. I usually ask them the following questions -

Q: Would you kill someone who was trying to knife and/or rape your child?

Q: If you found someone spreading gasoline on an apartment building and trying to light a rag to start the fire, would you kill him?

Q: If someone robs you at knife point and is angry you only had $25, then says he's going to "carve your heart out" would you kill him to stop him?

Some will answer that they'd only "stop" the person so the question in follow-up is what that entails and if the person won't stop short of being incapacitated.

If they answer no, then the follow-up questions are very harsh and pressed hard to make them answer.

Q: So you'd rather see your own child suffer agony and die rather than protect them. What does that say about you as a parent? As a person?

Q: You would let someone commit mass-murder of dozens, including children, rather than risk taking the life of a killer?

Q: You would rather let a psychopathic killer run free to kill others after he kills you? Why do you hate yourself so much that you'd let that happen?

I've found some self-described "liberals" are amoral enough to allow others to die over their beliefs.

I've found others who shrug off the questions with answers (joking) "Oh, I could always make another kid" or (dismissal) "oh, that is so unlikely it's absurd." Those are the ones I tell "You won't answer because you won't actually face reality or take any responsibility of an adult citizen." (Usually get's 'em going).
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Sheep and wolves

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    If they decide not to defend themselves... send flowers!
    Be safe.
    Or maybe a fruit basket......I've owned guns for quite some time, CCW'ed for about half that. Getting married and having children keeps my CCW updated as much as my own desire NOT to become a victim.

I agree with the Darwinism thoughs...these are the people that would have been eaten the animals in years gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    "I'd rather die than shoot anyone!" The most comforting words any perpetrator of violent crime can hear!
    Thumper is right on point with that statement.

I personally feel that those would rather die than hurt or kill someone has having a "serious character flaw." To some people "character" means absolutely nothing to them.

I feel they have very poor self esteem and no regard for their family and how their family will suffer if they just laid down and died, and left the rest of them hanging out in the breeze.

If the entire family holds the same beliefs, then it is probably a happy family living life with head in the sand.

However, if the guys wife or kids do not hold the same views, it is probably a very sad situation with poor family dynamics.

Not a healthy home life.

JMO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I guess my response to that kind of thinking (i.e. the "I'd rather die" mentality) is that dying is the easy part.

It's much easier to die for a cause then it is to live for one and it's certainly much easier to die than to live with some trauma.

But the fact that some people don't seem to realize is that sometimes, YOU DON'T DIE! And you are forced to live with something that will haunt you and torment you for weeks, months, years, possibly until you DO die.

These people who say they'd rather die than kill anyone. Have they ever considered what it would be like to live after an intruder has come in and killed every single one of their family members but themselves? Have they considered what it would be like to live with that trauma for the rest of their life? That their family is dead but they are alive because they chose the life of a criminal over the lives of their family?

What of the individual who says, "I'd rather die than hurt anyone" and is kidnapped and slowly tortured and raped but allowed and left to live with the memories of what happened for the rest of their life, possibly to never trust again, to never fully understand an intimate moment without fear or memories plaguing them every step of the way?

Death is final and rather easy to accept when the choice is between it and something worse.

Often people will stand strong in the face of death but when faced with living with the torture or death of someone they love they will buckle. It's been used time and time again as a great incentive to get stubborn people to talk in forceful interviews.

The people who make those kinds of statements, I believe, don't truly grasp the fact that there is such a thing as a fate worse than death and saying, "I'd rather die than hurt someone," is blindly and ignorantly ignoring that fact.

Those of us who do carry to defend ourselves don't desire to hurt anyone and we certainly don't WANT to kill anyone, but we'd much rather not die and we'd most defiantly not want to let some wack-job destroy our quality of life to the point that we wished we were dead. We aren't necessarily defending ourselves from death, but also from that fate worse than death.

Lima... were you like a philosopher in another life?

Once again, great words of wisdom from Limatunes!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I agree with the Darwinism thoughs...these are the people that would have been eaten the animals in years gone by.
    They're eaten by the animals, today, as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    They're eaten by the animals, today, as well.
    good point indeed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links