Stopped by LEO Today...

This is a discussion on Stopped by LEO Today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good encounter it seems But hey - carry = carry <nudge>...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by LEO Today...

Assistant Administrator
    Good encounter it seems

But hey - carry = carry <nudge>
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I got pulled over in Oklahoma... the trooper couldn't have cared less that I was carrying. It was like I'd just told him I was transporting concealed cupcakes....
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    LOL Yeah I've used "blinker fluid" and "muffler bearings" before on people. Good times.

In Arizona we don't have a duty to inform, but they're cops. Yeah there can be some bad apples out there (they're normal people, too), but I'd rather tell them upfront then surprise him when I reach for my wallet. Most of the officers up here in northern AZ realize that there are only so few of them and SO MUCH area to cover... thus giving rise to the belief in the intelligence of carrying...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Sounds like a good time was had by all.
    I hope you won't feel so bad about forgeting the HK when I tell you one of my former Chiefs walked out of a public restroom and left their entire gun belt hanging on the stall door!

Stopped by LEO Today...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In Missouri, I don't have to inform LEO I'm armed unless asked...

However, if you are driving your registered vehicle, it will come back that the owner is registered ccw when they run your plates for warrants and registration.
    Whether it is mandatory or not, anyone who does not IMMEDIATELY inform a police officer that he is carrying is looking to get his head knelt on against concrete.

Cops finding an unexpected gun MUST think only one thing: DANGER.

It is stupid not to tell them immediately about your gun. If I ever am stopped, I would hand the officer my ccw permit right on top of my driver's license.

Senior Moderator
    Whether it is mandatory or not, anyone who does not IMMEDIATELY inform a police officer that he is carrying is looking to get his head knelt on against concrete.
    \\

I guess that depends entirely on where you are from. Where it is not required Id like to think that the cops are a bit smarter than that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I had an engine overheat two weeks ago on I-75 just a few miles from home. I pulled over and was on the phone about to dial the mechanic when a trooper pulls up. I hung up and as soon as he approached I told him I was carrying a concealed handgun (as the law here makes me do). He aksed where it was and I said "at 4 o'clock on my waist" while pointing there (with my hand WELL away from it). He said "ok, thanks for telling me" and proceeded to forget about it while we discussed what to do about the truck.

You're lucky you didn't get a ticket. I was pulled over Friday for speeding and had my M&P 340 in my pocket. First thing I did was inform the officer that I was carrying (it's generally a good idea to get that out of the way here in Michigan). He asked me where it was, I told him, he felt for it, and asked me if I could get to my paperwork without going into that pocket. I said yes, and the stop continued as usual. As he was about to go back to his car to run my info, I noticed he was carrying a Sig so I asked him "Is that a Sig you're carrying?" just hoping to find some common ground but it didn't work. About 5 minutes later I drove off with a 5 mph over the speed limit ticket (I was driving 12 over) and a warning for following too closely. I wish I could've run into the cops that stopped you.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    \\

I guess that depends entirely on where you are from. Where it is not required Id like to think that the cops are a bit smarter than that.
    It has nothing to do with being smart. When a cop starts second-guessing about what to do after seeing an unexpected gun, those second thoughts will probably be his last thoughts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Six I just can't believe you left the house with an empty holster must less told us about it!
    Why, He ain't the first one here to do it.

Good story, shows there are some real fine LEO's out there that are people, too.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In Missouri, I don't have to inform LEO I'm armed unless asked...

However, if you are driving your registered vehicle, it will come back that the owner is registered ccw when they run your plates for warrants and registration.
    In FL we don't have to notify, either.

In the numerous times I've been pulled over -- never anything more serious than a moderate speeding ticket -- in the 9+ years I've lived here, I have never informed an officer about my carry gun, and have never been asked, either.

It leads me to suspect one of two things: either the cops are not notified by the check they run on my license plate, or they find out but then don't care.

I estimate that I've been pulled over 6 or 7 times (not always given a ticket, either) and never once has a cop inquired about any gun I might be carrying. Is it because they see an NRA sticker in the rear window? Is it because they found out I have a FL CWL and trust that I'm a good guy? Is it because regardless of whether I tell them I have a weapon or not, they plan to proceed as though I might -- as they should. (After all, a bad guy with a weapon should not be expected to announce the fact and come clean.)

In OK, your CCW License is not linked to your Drivers License, however, we are required to inform the officer, for everyones safety.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I have never been stopped in Las Vegas carrying or not. Even though the state doesnt require you to notify it would be stupid not to. Heck NV is even an open carry state, but that doesnt make it a good idea.

I believe it has alot to do with where you live. A rural town cop will probably treat an armed citizen different than one from a large metropolitan area. I guess that is natural.

Senior Moderator
    It has nothing to do with being smart. When a cop starts second-guessing about what to do after seeing an unexpected gun, those second thoughts will probably be his last thoughts.
    Perhaps.
    Being in Arkansas dang near every car I stop has an "unexpected" gun it. Not a big deal around here. I do understand that it is quite different up north.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    From the other side of the car's "B" pillar.....

I have absolutely no problem with legal CCW. Some LEO's might, but as long as it's legal, there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

I've been pulled over, too, and I'd recommend the following course of action:

1. Pull as far over as you can safely do so, as soon as you can safely do so.

2. If possible, while pulling over, roll down your driver window.

3. If it's nighttime, turn on your dome light.

4. Put both your hands on the steering wheel, and keep them there until directed otherwise.

5. Don't crane your neck around to watch the officer approaching.

6. If your state requires you to notify the officer that you're carrying, do so as soon as he finishes his initial statement. If not, I'd suggest not doing so unless it might be discovered. If you're ordered to step out of the car, that's your cue.

7. Be polite. So few people are anymore.

I've been pulled over 5 times in the last thirteen years due to a medium-sized lead foot (Metallica tends to aggravate that condition), and have gotten NO tickets and only two written warnings. Only ONE of those officers knew that I was a LEO, and that was only because he asked me what I did for a living. On each occasion, I was armed.

P.S. for what it's worth, I would rather pay a speeding ticket, up to and including a $200 speeding ticket, than bear the shame of having the other officer know that I'm a LEO.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links