Stopped by LEO Today... - Page 3

Stopped by LEO Today...

This is a discussion on Stopped by LEO Today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been pulled over a few times since I started carrying. Most of the time by DPS/Hi-Patrol. Every time that I have been pulled over ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by LEO Today...

I've been pulled over a few times since I started carrying. Most of the time by DPS/Hi-Patrol. Every time that I have been pulled over the first thing that I do is inform the Officer that I am carrying. Every time they have asked me where the gun is, and I tell them it is at 4 o'clock on my waist they immediatly go on with the rest of their business for the stop. They seem to just drop the subject right then. I don't mention it again and they have never mentioned it again. They give me my warning and I am on my way.
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Smile

I had a small accident,guy hit me in the rear. When LEO arrived I gave him my DL and CHL. He asked were it was I told him,his reply was"you leave your's there and I'll leave mine were it is." That was the end of it.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garyacman View Post
    his reply was"you leave your's there and I'll leave mine were it is." That was the end of it.
    Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine......

I have never been pulled over while carrying. I know in a traffic stop most people are a little nervous and the officer is on a heightened state of alertness. I would think it would be better that you disclose that you are packing so nobody gets surprised and that heightened state doesn't escalate.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Northern Az cop humor

A few years back I got stopped by a cop as I was flying down Oak Creek Canyon, Late for work. I hadn't gotten my CCW yet so the pistol was on the seat, the cop took possesion of the pistol for the duration of the stop. after I had signed the ticket, he handed me my pistil wrapped in two blown up rubber gloves, it looked like a grotesque cow udder! I started laughing and asked him why? His answer was "If you wanted to shoot me, you gotta get it out of the wrapper first, have a nice day" laughing the whole time. A while later I had agreed to go shooting with a couple of friends, guess who came along? He had forgotten his ammo, so I gave him some, .........wrapped in a rubber glove. I haven't seen him around for a while, heard he got transfered to Phoenix. Hope he hasn't lost his sense of humor down there!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible. I find it unbelievable that a ccw'r would take the chance of not informing an officer that he is carrying.

We do not have any law in our state requiring us to notify an officer that we are carrying. Their is no gun registration in my state. It is the law that all ccw application forms be destroyed in 30 days. So the officer would not be advised of your ccw permit if he does a radio check on me.

This reportedly lackadaisical attitude on the part of cops is - as I said, TOTALLY incomprehensible to me. If true, it about the dumbest thing I can imagine a cop doing.

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible.
    Someone with a CCW permit is guaranteed to have absolutely no criminal record. According to studies we commit crimes at a rate 100 times less than the general population. For a cop, interacting with an armed CCW permit holder is one of the safest things he could be doing. Smart cops realize this, and are happy to treat CCW holders with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Someone with a CCW permit is guaranteed to have absolutely no criminal record. According to studies we commit crimes at a rate 100 times less than the general population. For a cop, interacting with an armed CCW permit holder is one of the safest things he could be doing. Smart cops realize this, and are happy to treat CCW holders with respect.
    Not to mention that the Police WORK FOR US.
    Shouldn't we have the same right to protect ourselves as they?
    It really boggles my mind how many people want the Police to have special and more rights than the public.

Hell, out west I have opened carried (with no CHL), stood and talked about guns while OC'ing with 3 cops at a hot dog stand.
    They were 100% fine with it. And thats the way it should be nationwide.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The post by samb is food for thought.

I have always been of the opinion that anyone who would announce to the cop that he is carrying a gun is obviously not a threat to the cop. The real threat to the cop would not mention the gun, in the hope of preserving the element of surprise, and also probably because he's not technically allowed to carry, perhaps.

But at the same time, I see validity in the notion that once a gun is known to be on the scene, it makes sense for the cop to put it under control so that if the motorist's impatience or irritation grows (at having been stopped, being likely to get a ticket) the gun is out of play. But this kind of caters to the idea that "a gun turns a normal person into a raging psychotic killer," and we know that is simply bogus. Most of the time, anyway. What about the .0001% guy, though?

If I were a cop, I think I would very politely "request" that the gun be turned over to me for the duration of the stop, and explicitly explain that it will be happily handed back over when we are through.

The notion of "the cops work for us" is a specious one when it is used to imply that cops should never inconvenience or put under control any member of the public.

Yes, the cops do work for us; but any person who is placed under arrest could make that claim and say, "So you shouldn't be arresting me; I pay your salary!" Come on -- when someone is suspected of criminal wrongdoing, the cops are working for THE REST of "us," and isolating from "us" the person suspected of the crime. Once you become the person from whom the rest of society is being protected by the police, you can't still use the "you work for me, a member of the public" argument with any validity.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Yes, the cops do work for us; but any person who is placed under arrest could make that claim and say, "So you shouldn't be arresting me; I pay your salary!" Come on -- when someone is suspected of criminal wrongdoing, the cops are working for THE REST of "us," and isolating from "us" the person suspected of the crime. Once you become the person from whom the rest of society is being protected by the police, you can't still use the "you work for me, a member of the public" argument with any validity.
    I never made the inclination that since police work for the public, that we all get "Out of jail free" cards.

But we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty and we all have the right to defend ourselves as much as they do. That was the only point I was making.

Also, when you are in a traffic stop that is legally considered a "detainment", although its brief and temporary (as long as you dont have any warrants).

So I can see how some states your supposed to notify the officer that your carrying.
    But in reality, the people who would do harm to the officers aren't going to notify them anyhow.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    What about the .0001% guy, though?
    Ahh, but what's the tradeoff? Disarming someone opens up the chance of an ND. It also lengthens the traffic stop, increasing the chance that the officer is going to be struck by passing traffic. Both of these are probably much more likely than a legally armed CCW holder going nuts over a traffic ticket. A precaution like disarming a CCWer doesn't make sense if it means trading a small risk for a larger one.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    True, and as I said, I lean toward accepting the notion that a person with a CCW license, who has already told the cop he's carrying, is extremely unlikely to try to harm the cop.

Most of my point was about how some seem to argue that because the cops "work for us," no one should be stopped by them. Well, the cops work for "the public," and when a person commits a crime to which the cops have to respond, he is setting himself up as an element aligned against the "us" for whom the cops work, and thus is no longer one of the "us" and not entitled to be saying, "Hey, cop, you work for me, so leave me alone."

It's a bogus argument, unless a person is treated as though he's a bad guy by the cops when he in fact has done nothing illegal.

When you're the subject of a traffic stop, the officer has the legitimate power to do various things that he can't legitimately do if he just sees you walking down the street. Among those things are making you turn off your car; making you step out of the vehicle, etc.

I don't see what's so "incomprehensible" about a cop NOT taking a gun from a person with a concealed permit. In all the times I've been stopped since I got my permit, NONE of the officers involved, have ever taken my firearm. Only one even asked where it was located, after which he said, "Ok, let's just leave it where it is."

I should think, as long as a Citizen does what is required of him, there should be no reason to take his/her pistol. As someone else pointed out, it only opens the possibility of a negligent discharge. And that opens the possibility of someone getting injured.

I would think, for officer safety, it would be better to leave it where it is. After all, if I go to the trouble of informing the officer that I have a pistol, he is at least aware that there actually IS a gun in the car, and doesn't have to speculate on whether or not there is.

The above is just my opinion, and YMMV.

Senior Moderator
    I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible. I find it unbelievable that a ccw'r would take the chance of not informing an officer that he is carrying.
    Since it is not required in this state, I do not expect it. Now, let me give you a different perspective. If you choose to tell me that you are armed,(and some do) thats great. If you dont, thats up to you. When I run your DL the return will tell me if you have a concealed handgun license. No big deal there. Since I dont know you from squat, I would rather not have you expect to hand over your gun.I dont know your gun handling skills and I really dont want to find out.Keeping the gun where it is at is the safest thing for me to do.Its an "officer safety" issue. I fully understand that another officer from another location may want to take control of the weapon due to his perception and although I personally think that its a bit over the top, I'm OK with that as I understand that there are some people,cops included that have an unhealthy fear of guns, whether real or imagined. Simply put, an "officer safety"issue to him may or may not be one to me or vice versa.

We do not have any law in our state requiring us to notify an officer that we are carrying. Their is no gun registration in my state. It is the law that all ccw application forms be destroyed in 30 days. So the officer would not be advised of your ccw permit if he does a radio check on me.
    None of the above matters. Most officers that perform a "routine" stop know and understand that it could be anything but "routine".You will be observed and watched very closely the whole time. Having a permit doesn't automatically mean that you are a good guy any more than not having one means that you are not. I let YOU dictate the tone of the stop. It can be a good stop or a bad one and your attitude is the controlling factor.

This reportedly lackadaisical attitude on the part of cops is - as I said, TOTALLY incomprehensible to me. If true, it about the dumbest thing I can imagine a cop doing.
    Understand that just because a cop doesn't want to see your firearm or doesn't appear to care in the least does not mean that he is being lackadaisical. It just means that his perception is not the same as yours.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible. This reportedly lackadaisical attitude on the part of cops is - as I said, TOTALLY incomprehensible to me. If true, it about the dumbest thing I can imagine a cop doing.
    Guess thats why you dont wear a badge for a living. Kinda puts you into the same catagory that think its "incomprehensible" for us to arrest people for simple possessing drugs, or "incomprehensible" for us to pursue cars when people don't pull over, or (ok ya'll get the idea)

Glad you find what I do for a living as incomprehensible...(I'll end my comments there as the rest were not complimentary).

Ok back to my incomprehensible acts.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links