Stopped by LEO Today... - Page 4

Stopped by LEO Today...

This is a discussion on Stopped by LEO Today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n In Missouri, I don't have to inform LEO I'm armed unless asked... However, if you are driving your registered vehicle, it ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In Missouri, I don't have to inform LEO I'm armed unless asked...

However, if you are driving your registered vehicle, it will come back that the owner is registered ccw when they run your plates for warrants and registration.
    Your CCW is tied to your DL, not vehicle in Missouri. If they run your license, it will flag it in the DOR database. At that point in time, you will probably be asked about your firearm. As far as eating pavement with a boot on my head, can you spell $$ $$ lawsuit? Now, if he wanted to play off the clock and try that, I would be more than happy to have some fun with him..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Guess thats why you dont wear a badge for a living. Kinda puts you into the same catagory that think its "incomprehensible" for us to arrest people for simple possessing drugs, or "incomprehensible"
    I know you didn't ask for it, but my opinion on arresting people for possession of small quantities of drugs isn't "incomprehensible", but simply a waste of time and tax payers money.

If drugs make its way into Prisons, that shows us drugs will never be gotten rid of in any society.
    And, (im not a squishy liberal) but it has been proven that Drug Addiction (even legal Tabacco and Alcohol) is a Disease.
    Why arrest people for a medical problem. What Americans do in the privacy of their home, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Should NOT be the governments business. Even if it means that person is destroying themselves.

Now, drug dealers and traffickers. Hell, go get 'em.
    I just dont see why we should have to take a great LEO off the beat for a few hours to arrest some guy for a little pot or a pill of Heroin and then spent a day or maybe two in court.

Just my 2¢, and I know that opinion isn't probably liked around here.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

In Kentucky we dont have to inform the officer. I choose not to. I dont want a conflict if one tries to disarm me. I first would claim it would be unsafe for me or him to remove the firearm from my person or vehicle. Also the State of Kentucky has licensed me to carry that weapon. Until I do something to warrant, like being under arrest, taking that firearm from me the officer does not have the authority to override the states license to me.

I was in TN a few years ago and when stopped I handed my CCW with my license. He looked at it and handed it back. Went to his car and wrote my ticket. I wasnt sure of the law in TN except that we have reciprocity. I was on the way back from a USPSA match and had several guns in the truck.

Now I had an incident a couple weeks ago where I had to use my weapon to stop an attack on a fellow working for me. Luckily the attacker stopped and retreated and I didnt have to pull the trigger. It was close as I was on the trigger and at the point I wasnt going to have a choice since I put myself between he and my worker. After a situation like that I called the police especially since he threatened to call them on me. The officer asked to see our permits and that was it. Come to find out the attacker was a convicted felon on probation. His weapon was a chainsaw bar. I thought he was going for a gun when he kept saying he had something to take of all of us as he reached behind his seat.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
    I would think, for officer safety, it would be better to leave it where it is. After all, if I go to the trouble of informing the officer that I have a pistol, he is at least aware that there actually IS a gun in the car, and doesn't have to speculate on whether or not there is.
    That's right. He's already watching you with a cop's eyes and intuition, right? So now that he knows that you have a license (a good guy), and have a gun with you, all he really has to do is watch to see if you make a move for the gun (which obviously, a good guy is not going to do).

But let's say he asked the motorist if he had a gun on him, and the motorist said no. Since that is not proof of anything, he still has to regard the person cautiously.

So no matter what, any decent cop is going to be keeping an eye on the motorist he's stopped because anyone could have a gun. When a good guy has informed the cop that he's carrying, the cop doesn't need to separate the gg and his gun because he's watching the whole time, just like he should always do, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    If drugs make its way into Prisons, that shows us drugs will never be gotten rid of in any society.
    Very true. There is no place in the country where the government has more power to make sure people do or don't do certain things than in a prison, and even there it can't prevent people from getting what they really want.

And, (im not a squishy liberal) but it has been proven that Drug Addiction (even legal Tabacco and Alcohol) is a Disease.
    Why arrest people for a medical problem.
    This, I don't go in for.
    It seems a bit circular, to say that a person who's addicted to crack suffers from a disease that makes him do it, but he didn't suffer from the disease until the first time he decided -- while not under the influence of the drug -- to do the drug!

Strange, it's a disease you get to choose if you're gonna suffer from!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

This, I don't go in for.
    It seems a bit circular, to say that a person who's addicted to crack suffers from a disease that makes him do it, but he didn't suffer from the disease until the first time he decided -- while not under the influence of the drug -- to do the drug!

Strange, it's a disease you get to choose if you're gonna suffer from!
    Your confusing drug ABUSE and Drug ADDICTION.

Contrary to popular belief there isn't 1 single drug that "hooks" you after the first time, or hell 2nd or even 5th time you try it.

Constant drug abuse (even caffeine) alters the chemicals in your brain (different drugs, different chemicals) that makes your body and mind dependent to that drug. And that is where the Disease is found.

Drug ABUSERS can choose when or if they do that drug.
    Drug ADDICTS cant.

Many people think drug addicts are just weak and can drop their habit "if they really wanted to"

But with Drug addiction, if they do stop their body goes through withdrawal.
    Some drugs such as Alcohol can be life threatening if the addict suddenly stops.

Senior Moderator
    Contrary to popular belief there isn't 1 single drug that "hooks" you after the first time, or hell 2nd or even 5th time you try it.
    Ever try Meth ?

I have arrested many that claimed it was so good that they were hooked the first time and had to have more.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I were a cop, I think I would very politely "request" that the gun be turned over to me for the duration of the stop, and explicitly explain that it will be happily handed back over when we are through.
    In the holster (where it belongs), there is zero chance that the gun will discharge. Taken out of the holster and the chances grow considerably. Why make a situation even more dangerous by having the firearm removed from the safest place it could be?

Thanks!
    Greg

Senior Moderator
    In the holster (where it belongs), there is zero chance that the gun will discharge. Taken out of the holster and the chances grow considerably. Why make a situation even more dangerous by having the firearm removed from the safest place it could be?
    Exactly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It's not just a safety precaution for the LEO either. If the officer on the driver's side asks for the gun, and a partner coming up from behind on the passenger side is not fully aware that the first officer has requested the gun, he may see the action as a threat to the first officer, and take action to protect the first officer. Leave them in the holster, IMHO.

I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket for 2 tail light out. Lucky dog.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post

Constant drug abuse (even caffeine) alters the chemicals in your brain (different drugs, different chemicals) that makes your body and mind dependent to that drug. And that is where the Disease is found.

Drug ABUSERS can choose when or if they do that drug.
    Drug ADDICTS cant.

That, to me, is all the more reason to not sympathize with drug addicts and give them a pass for the stuff they do to others in order to get their fix. They had to WORK at getting addicted. They had to make the stupid choice to do the drugs, repeatedly, in order to get hooked. They weren't born addicted. The drugs didn't work some magical powers on them. They sought out the drugs, tried them because some part of them decided to disregard all that everyone knows about the dangers, the health effects, the addictiveness . . .

So it's just like I said, but only slightly different now. You still don't end up addicted unless you make the decision to do the addictive drugs. So don't tell me it's a "disease" without underscoring the point that someone has to go out of his way to get this "disease."

How much sympathy would you have for me if I went and got herpes because I went, knowing the risk, and had sex with lots of people and refused to use a condom. Sure, I'd have a disease. But one I chose to expose myself to.

(I feel like I need to go shower now . . .)

That, to me, is all the more reason to not sympathize with drug addicts and give them a pass for the stuff they do to others in order to get their fix. They had to WORK at getting addicted. They had to make the stupid choice to do the drugs, repeatedly, in order to get hooked. They weren't born addicted. The drugs didn't work some magical powers on them. They sought out the drugs, tried them because some part of them decided to disregard all that everyone knows about the dangers, the health effects, the addictiveness . . .

So it's just like I said, but only slightly different now. You still don't end up addicted unless you make the decision to do the addictive drugs. So don't tell me it's a "disease" without underscoring the point that someone has to go out of his way to get this "disease."

How much sympathy would you have for me if I went and got herpes because I went, knowing the risk, and had sex with lots of people and refused to use a condom. Sure, I'd have a disease. But one I chose to expose myself to.

(I feel like I need to go shower now . . .)

Hey its not me that's declaring drug addiction is a disease. The medical profession the world over has declared it a disease.

As far as Herpes, I got news for you. You can STILL get Herpes and HIV/AIDS even if you wear a condom. Although the chances are indeed lower.

Yes, they did choose to do the drug a few times to get addicted, I agree.

We all know doing drugs is a stupid idea. Im just looking at it in a Social/Medical point of view. Not the level of intelligence of the act.

And as I said, why take a good LEO off the street for 2-3 days because someone has a little bit of drugs in their pocket or home?

Its just not worth it.

In Baltimore a few years ago, they made a certain section of the city that was abandon and nobody lived there legal to buy drugs.
    It was called "Hamsterdam" since it was the city's smaller version of Amsterdam. This is a totally true story.

The police ignored the drug users and dealers in that few blocks of run down area.

Know what happened? Violent crime dropped 15%, theft dropped 10% and actually more addicts got help with stopping and more addicts participated in the "Needle Exchange" program which prevents the spread of HIV 10 fold.

What else happened? REAL Police were able to go after rapist, killers and do REAL police work.
    Rather than taking a few punks off the corner, taking them to jail, all the paperwork and spending a few days in court.

Is this a fairy tale come true? No. Its still a horrible solution.

But it was effective.

Again, dont blame me for this info. Im just reporting to you an event in recent history. I wasnt Police chief or anything.

(I feel Im getting ganged up on here) lol

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Nope around here they really dont pull me over ( basicly no reason ) but for 4 jurisdictions around they seem to show up when i run a load of brisket , and make bbq sauce lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdvc View Post
    In Kentucky we dont have to inform the officer. I choose not to. I dont want a conflict if one tries to disarm me. I first would claim it would be unsafe for me or him to remove the firearm from my person or vehicle. Also the State of Kentucky has licensed me to carry that weapon. Until I do something to warrant, like being under arrest, taking that firearm from me the officer does not have the authority to override the states license to me.

I was in TN a few years ago and when stopped I handed my CCW with my license. He looked at it and handed it back. Went to his car and wrote my ticket. I wasnt sure of the law in TN except that we have reciprocity. I was on the way back from a USPSA match and had several guns in the truck.

Now I had an incident a couple weeks ago where I had to use my weapon to stop an attack on a fellow working for me. Luckily the attacker stopped and retreated and I didnt have to pull the trigger. It was close as I was on the trigger and at the point I wasnt going to have a choice since I put myself between he and my worker. After a situation like that I called the police especially since he threatened to call them on me. The officer asked to see our permits and that was it. Come to find out the attacker was a convicted felon on probation. His weapon was a chainsaw bar. I thought he was going for a gun when he kept saying he had something to take of all of us as he reached behind his seat.
    No duty to inform, but your CCDW is tied to your DL. If they run it, they WILL know. I'd rather they knew first. I would want to if I were them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links