Stopped by LEO Today... - Page 5

Stopped by LEO Today...

This is a discussion on Stopped by LEO Today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why I arrest and have ZERO tollerance for any ammount of illegal drugs on a person is simple. 89% of property crimes are committed by ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stopped by LEO Today...

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Why I arrest and have ZERO tollerance for any ammount of illegal drugs on a person is simple. 89% of property crimes are committed by drug users in an attempt to garner the funds for their chosen habits. Property crimes often are the root of more serious offenses and I believe that the last number I heard is that over 3/4s of all violent offenses initiated as a property crime (not counting domestics). Another thing to consider is that well over 2/3s of all homicides are drug related.

It isnt a victimless crime, just around, I bet you'll find several folks that you know (maybe even yourself) that have had their stuff stolen and it dang sure aint because they want groceries.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible.
    Here's what I believe:

I've undergone a fair amount of vetting, and training, and am licensed to do what I do.

The same is true for you.

We SHOULD be able to trust each other to not be violently sociopathic.

The vast majority of sociopaths will not go through all the rigamarole involved in getting either a CCW license or LE certification. Even if they tried, most would be screened out during the process.

Some miniscule percentage will always slip through, but that no more justifies me to take every (legal) CCW-er's firearm than it does you to keep your hand on your weapon upon every LEO's approach.

We're both sheepdogs, even if you only protect a flock of one. Yes, I see the fangs. But I also see the woolly fur, and I have faith that our encounter will be a peaceful one.

....but don't think for a second that I haven't already decided where I'm going to move and how I'm going to kill you if you initiate a potentially lethal hostile action....and please don't take offense, because I do that with everybody, even other cops.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Why I arrest and have ZERO tollerance for any ammount of illegal drugs on a person is simple. 89% of property crimes are committed by drug users in an attempt to garner the funds for their chosen habits. Property crimes often are the root of more serious offenses and I believe that the last number I heard is that over 3/4s of all violent offenses initiated as a property crime (not counting domestics). Another thing to consider is that well over 2/3s of all homicides are drug related.

It isnt a victimless crime, just around, I bet you'll find several folks that you know (maybe even yourself) that have had their stuff stolen and it dang sure aint because they want groceries.
    The drug use ITSELF is victimless. The drug sale, even, in and of itself, is victimless.

It's the PERIPHERAL crimes that have identifiable victims.

Organized Crime had its heyday in this country during Prohibition. Rival gangs were gunning each other down in the streets during THOSE days, too.

But nowadays? Coors vs. Budweiser massacre? Not so much.

So, is it the mood-altering substance that's causing the violence and thievery? Or is it the simple fact that the substance is illegal, and, hey, since you're already breaking ONE law......?

History would seem to suggest it's the latter.

I take a zero-tolerance approach to any drug offenses I find before me, too. But I do it primarily because it's not up to me to pick and choose which laws I'll enforce. I agreed to do the whole job when I accepted the job.

Doesn't mean I have to march in ideological lockstep in my own mind, on my own time.

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I find these stories of cops being unconcerned and allowing a ccw'r to keep his gun during a traffic stop to be totally incomprehensible. I find it unbelievable that a ccw'r would take the chance of not informing an officer that he is carrying.
    No two stops are the same. If your instincts dictate that it would be prudent to have control of the ccw's gun then by all means. Otherwise it should be viewed as unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Damn, both of them out at once?

That's what you get for never changing the fluid in them!

Gratz on getting off without a ticket LOL thats quite something for being pulled over with no taillights LOL

~Teg

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    that no more justifies me to take every (legal) CCW-er's firearm than it does you to keep your hand on your weapon upon every LEO's approach.

We're both sheepdogs, even if you only protect a flock of one. Yes, I see the fangs. But I also see the woolly fur, and I have faith that our encounter will be a peaceful one.

....but don't think for a second that I haven't already decided where I'm going to move and how I'm going to kill you if you initiate a potentially lethal hostile action....and please don't take offense, because I do that with everybody, even other cops.
    Co-sign.

For these words alone...I respect everyone and TRUST NO ONE.

As for telling? Don't ask, I won't tell. Ask and I'll answer "Yes, I have a couple of firearms on me."
    John 15:13 - Greater love have no man, than he who is willing to lay down his life for a friend. (Let's just pray we BOTH come out alive)

If the guns kill then pencils misspell words!

Quote Originally Posted by Passa Fist View Post
    Co-sign.

For these words alone...I respect everyone and TRUST NO ONE.

As for telling? Don't ask, I won't tell. Ask and I'll answer "Yes, I have a couple of firearms on me."
    That's fine as long as you're in a state that doesn't require disclosure. In Michigan, if we're stopped, the first thing we have to do, as soon as possible, is inform the officer that we have a permit, and that we're armed. And while there is no requirement to inform, if we're not packing (why would anyone not?) I've been advised it's best to inform the officer anyway, that I have a permit. They will find out, when they run my DL, and surprises are not a good idea.

Remember, the only lead you have on you should be loaded rounds, not in your foot..That should help keep the flashing lights out of your rear view mirror..8)
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    The drug use ITSELF is victimless. The drug sale, even, in and of itself, is victimless.

It's the PERIPHERAL crimes that have identifiable victims.

Organized Crime had its heyday in this country during Prohibition. Rival gangs were gunning each other down in the streets during THOSE days, too.
    But nowadays? Coors vs. Budweiser massacre? Not so much.

So, is it the mood-altering substance that's causing the violence and thievery? Or is it the simple fact that the substance is illegal, and, hey, since you're already breaking ONE law......?

History would seem to suggest it's the latter.

I take a zero-tolerance approach to any drug offenses I find before me, too. But I do it primarily because it's not up to me to pick and choose which laws I'll enforce. I agreed to do the whole job when I accepted the job.

Doesn't mean I have to march in ideological lockstep in my own mind, on my own time.
    excellent post.

most drug abuse starts in the younger generation, stupid teenagers.

know why they say they started taking drugs?

because they were told not to....

look up Prohibition. figure it out for yourself. I, personally, am tired of wasting my tax dollars on a so called "drug war" when the MAYOR OF WASHINGTON DC (you know, where the law makers work?.....) HAS BEEN CAUGHT SMOKIN' CRACK COCAINE ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS!!!!!

AND THEN GOT RE-ELECTED!!!

Marion Shepilov Barry, Jr. (born March 6, 1936) served as the second elected mayor of the District of Columbia from 1979 to 1991, and again as the fourth mayor from 1995 to 1999. He was the target of a high-profile 1990 arrest on drug charges, which precluded him from seeking reelection that year. After he was convicted of the charges, Barry served 6 months in prison, but was elected to the D.C. council in 1992 and ultimately to the mayoralty in 1994, serving a second term from 1995 to 1999. Today, Barry serves on the Council of the District of Columbia, representing Ward Eight, which comprises Anacostia and Congress Heights.
    THAT, friends, is Prohibition, and the reason it was reversed....

research prohibition. theres a better way to fix the drug problem. throwing money at it ISNT working.

Drugs are illegal. Change the law through the legislative process and this becomes a non issue. Until then, those who are here to uphold the law do what they are tasked to do, just like us in our day to day jobs. There are things I don't like as well, but until things get changed, this is what we have. I do not envy those folks one bit.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Thread Hijacking

This thread wasn't about cocaine or crack. If you want to BS about the dangers of drugs, start a different thread...damn.

My story just the opposite

My local officer stopped by to look at my truck and in the converstion he told me about his visit to Gunsite and how I should consider taking a class or 2 there. Much later a year or 2 I was able to sponser him an another officer at our gun club.
    RVN 68-69 101st Abn. Div. D Co. 101st Avn. Bn.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links