Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt - Page 2

Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt

This is a discussion on Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a "Glock Shooting Sports" cap that I sometimes wear. I also have a "Kahr Arms" and an "NRA" cap that I also wear. ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I have a "Glock Shooting Sports" cap that I sometimes wear. I also have a "Kahr Arms" and an "NRA" cap that I also wear. I have caps that say "Indian Motorcycles, Pink Floyd, Jim Beam Whiskey, Oakley, The Who, etc."

I don't worry about it.

I have seen these very same T-shirts, along with other brands of guns (Sig, etc). When I look at who is wearing them, many (not all) are the kind that "thinks its cool" shows a "tough" image, etc. One individual I know in person that wears a similar shirt (for Sig) can't identify a Sig from a Glock, doesn't know the difference between semi automatic and an automatic weapon.

Most wear them only because they think they are "cool". Ignorance at its best.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    To me it is just product advertisement. I don't usually wear just a t-shirt in public, usually wear a button down shirt on top of one. I would rather wear an item advertising a product I like than one I don't. I wear different hats, like a Glock, Kimber, Blackwater or even some from the NRA. It is rare ANYBODY pays attention & the ones that do are usually shooters.

I don't see any harm in wearing one. If there is a threat around that were to see me wearing one, I would have already spotted him! My head's on a swivel when in public.

If a BG sees it, it may give him pause & make him pick another target. I don't want to look like a target/victim. I want the BG to NOT chose me!

As to him not being armed..................he probably wasn't, but he could have been......right? Deep concealment, pocket carry, ankle rig....etc....

You weren't a 100% certain he was unarmed, so it made you think.....it would probably do the same to some BGs............other BGs are just to stupid to notice.

Another point about carrying is that MOST gun owners & most concealed permit holders don't carry ALL THE TIME! When I first started carrying in the early 1990s, I only carried where I thought 'I might need it'.......That attitude changed as I found better more comfortable holsters & realized that I wasn't immortal......& that BGs are everywhere!

Some gun owners never come to that realization. They turn back to their le mentality & move along with the herd.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Seriously people, how many people have been mugged, that you know of, because of advertising they were wearing on a t-shirt?

Me - zero.

I just don't think it's a big issue or inviting trouble. It's easy for us hanging around this board and carrying, to be a little myopic on the issue. It's like being ID'd. Most people don't even notice. Those that do, most don't care.

I'd rather he wear a glock tshirt than some of the other crap people have...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    I was at walmart yesterday with my wife. We both conceal carry. I had my XD45 compact and she had her Bersa .380.

We saw this young man with his young wife and small child. He had a T-shirt on that said "Got Glock?". So naturally my wife and I look the guy over as we pass him. His T-shirt was tight and tucked in. So we were guessing he didn't have a gun in a tuckable holster.

We then started talking about this. If the guy wasn't carrying then it might be foolish to have a gun T-shirt on and no gun.

If he had a gun, it would be foolish to advertise it. People will naturally see the shirt and look him over to see if they can find the gun.

Both my wife and I felt that T-shirts like this should be left to wear at the range or at places where you will have your gun out and people would know anyway.

What do you folks think?
    This is the same reason I also don't put NRA or firearm related stickers on my car. You never know who will follow you home to make a note to come back at a later date when you are out to search your house for guns.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I have never noticed anybody's advertising on clothing. I guess I'm one of those people who are too wrapped up in themselves. I really couldn't care less about what you have on your tshirt or cap. I doubt a BG would either. Most probably can't read anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank View Post
    I have never noticed anybody's advertising on clothing. I guess I'm one of those people who are too wrapped up in themselves. I really couldn't care less about what you have on your tshirt or cap. I doubt a BG would either. Most probably can't read anyway.
    Pro BG's make a living out of noticing things like that

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    How do you know?

VIP Member
    I think too many people suffer from paralysis of analysis on this subject.

I have that exact tshirt along with one from Gabe Suarez's store with INFIDEL on the front and back. I'm not PC and I don't care.
    If some anti's pants get in a wad because they see the horrible Glock name or a name designating me as a non-islamist.....oh well.
    I have no concern over being a target because I wear my "Got Glock?" tshirt. We all carry because we're targets of scumbags anyway. I do not for a second think that my black tshirt with some small white lettering is a big neon sign saying "shoot me first".
    I use the same situational awareness as I always do whether I'm in my glock, infidel, HK, bass pro shops, or whatever shirt.

As for a shirt increasing the odds of me being "made" while carrying....If I get made then I'm not concealing well, glock shirt or not, we have to make sure we're concealed...period.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    I'm under the persuasion of... It's just a shirt.

I wear a Coca-Cola shirt. Does that mean the Pepsi guys are going to come and beat me up? Am I carrying a coke at that moment? Maybe it's in deep concealment? What if the Pepsi guy gets close, will I have time to get to my coke and drink it before he splashes me with his Pepsi? I may be carrying my Coke but not all the time, what then?

Okay. I took that a little far, but a shirt is a shirt is a shirt. I wear my husband's Marine Corps shirts and I wear a baseball cap that says, "MARINE WIFE" on it. Most of the time I get asked, "Is your husband a Marine?"

HMMMM... I wonder how they deduced that. But notice that they asked, because just wearing a hat or a shirt does not automatically make it true.

Most of the time I wear clothes that suit my environment, such as a gun type shirt while working at the shop or something and then something else elsewhere. However, I'm not going to change if I have to stop at the gas station or walmart on my way home and I don't necessarily think I'm advertising either. Most people don't care and those who do have some kind of connection to what you are wearing. Gun people look at a gun shirt and think, "Hmmm... she likes guns. She'd probably be neat to talk to." They may start up a conversation, they may not. The people who start up conversations with me because of my Marine Wife ball cap or Marine Corps shirts usually follow up with, "My brother was in the Marine Corps." When I wear my brother's Navy shirts and people ask me about those they follow up with, "I was in the Navy from x to z." They have a connection and so they try to establish that connection with someone who at least appears to share something in common.

Some would see a Glock shirt and it would never even resonate with them that it has anything to do with guns. Some people wear shirts just because they are there. I have a shirt that says, "Switzerland" on it. I've never been to Switzerland, I don't have any family from there, it's just a comfy shirt.

I have another shirt that says, "THE BEATLES" on it. I couldn't name one Beatles song if my life depended on it, but again, it's a comfy shirt.

I think it would be safe to say that 99% of bad guys are NOT going to attack you because of a shirt you are wearing. A shirt means absolutely nothing. It DOESN'T Guarantee that you are carrying or even OWN the particular gun in question. It doesn't guarantee that you have money on you and are worth robbing. It doesn't guarantee that you even have guns in your home.

The risks of attacking someone because of a shirt are just too high.

The bad guys who are stupid enough to attack someone on the spur of the moment do it because they see the person open their wallet and see a good stack of cash in there. They see a flashy ring or watch that they think could get a good street price. They check out the shoes and the purse to see if they are name brand and weather you have expensive tastes and therefore a full wallet or at least some credit cards.

They may check out your shirt to see if it's expensive but not for what is written on it. If they even recognize the name of the gun printed on it they won't care. It's a shirt, it doesn't promise anything. It cost five bucks on ebay.

It's not worth the trouble.

How do you know?
    Interviews of BG's have been done that question the elements they consider as indicative of a ripe target. Dress is one of them. Whether one travels cognizant of surroundings plays a big role, as demeanor is a big element signalling one's relative softness as a target. Obvious weaponry is another. I don't have any links handy, but this isn't secret knowledge.

To dismiss clothing that advertises weaponry based on clothing that advertises soda pop ignores the risk. Significant? Nah. But it's one that's easily controlled with no downside. Nobody's saying the shirt will elicit a Pavlov's response in a BG. What is being said is simple: it reduces one's element of surprise, if attacked. Myopic? Nah. Rather, it's seeing the larger field for what it is, and being cognizant of minor steps that are easily taken to mitigate the advantage an attacker might otherwise have.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wear my Mossberg T-shirt even when I'm not carrying my shotgun. I don't think anyone who isn't into guns would give it much of a thought either way. Even if it said "CCW Permit Holder", most would pay you no attention.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

How do you know?

Because I worked in a profiling department for 6 years.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing the shirt. First off guy, wife and kid. Probably a upstanding citizen, So if he didn't look like a banger or other scary type he has used his shirt as a message to other people, i.e. I care about my rights and look not only dirt bags have guns.
    You only thought he didn't have a gun on his belt. He still could have had a bellyband or ankle holster. So he may still have had the tool to use.

Personally I like to make people think. Hell I wish I could were on a shirt some of the things I have in my mind. But they would definitely be very UN PC. But then again I'm not a very PC person.
    I'm not rasist I hate all races equaly

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The bad guys who are stupid enough to attack someone on the spur of the moment do it because they see the person open their wallet and see a good stack of cash in there.
    There are any number of reasons BG's attack. Don't mistake "possible" for "always" or even "typical." It's often because you're not paying attention. Or because your overall bearing suggests breeding. Or, they previously saw you exit your nice car. Or, you're obviously parking far from the building (and out of earshot). It could be you vaguely resemble his neighbor who dissed him last week. It could be nothing more than you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that your look of surprise suggests fear.

It's a bit like 5.11 gear in miniature.

It's not worth the trouble.
    That's the whole point. It truly isn't, for something so easily sidestepped.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links