Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt

This is a discussion on Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the shirt issue is really a personal decision. Of course you can wear whatever you please. I just don't like shirts that tend ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Saw someone at walmart with a Got Glock? T-shirt

I think the shirt issue is really a personal decision. Of course you can wear whatever you please. I just don't like shirts that tend to reinforce incorrect negative impressions of gun owners ("...I'm reloading") NRA, Got Glock?, Got Gun?, Celebrate Diversity, 2nd Amendment Shirts. I think these are all ok so long as the person has thought through the implications of wearing it (BG might notice, people put on notice that this is a gun guy) It seems a bit illogical to go to all the trouble to effectively conceal while wearing a shirt that might as well be saying "Gun Here"(with arrow pointing to holster location).
    I got a fun shirt at Northern Tool. It says " Cover your ears, I'll be doing something loud soon."
    Inches make champions. —Vince Lombardi

Ruger SP101 357mag
    Browning Hi-Power MIII 9mm
    Glock 22

2. Remove Ads

Alright, let's dissect this...

Quote Originally Posted by northjdr View Post
    I just don't like shirts that tend to reinforce incorrect negative impressions of gun owners
    It's only hysterical tree-hugging liberals that would assume the worst of such gun shirts. I for one would relish the opportunity to show them that a well-educated and articulate person can be an avid gun enthusiast and supporter of our 2nd amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by northjdr View Post
    I think these are all ok so long as the person has thought through the implications of wearing it (BG might notice, people put on notice that this is a gun guy)
    Well, that's kind of the point (besides showing support for gun rights, etc.). If a bad guy looks at me and decides against mugging me because of my Glock t-shirt, then the shirt has more than paid for itself :) It isn't as though I'm a world leader who has a contract out on my head. In that were the case, advertising that I'm carrying would be silly because it wouldn't deter the bad guy.

It seems a bit illogical to go to all the trouble to effectively conceal while wearing a shirt that might as well be saying "Gun Here"(with arrow pointing to holster location).
    Very very few states actually allow for open civilian carry. The reason we conceal is to comply with state law.

Again, if you're in the mob or something and know that someone is out to whack you, then yeah...don't advertise, as the bad guy is still going to come after you (only now he'll be more informed). If you *don't* have a contract out on you, then the bad guy will likely be deterred because you're just another nameless person in the crowd with a wallet to be stolen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    Unfortunately, there are plenty of liberals out there who are very anti-gun and act as jurors, district attorneys, and prosecutors. They have been known to show political bias, unfortunately.

I don't think we have to worry about that with your car accident scenario ;-)

This would be my only concern, not the fear of a bad guy or the general public seeing the shirt.
    I'm very comfortable with the thought that where I live I wouldn't have to worry about that with DA or jurors if I was involved in a shooting. I'm positive my lawyer would be able to combat that ignorant line of thinking.
    ...and the car bit was humor
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I would not want to be the guy standing in the shopping center parking lot, in my "Got Glock?" t-shirt, 5.11 boots and pants with my SOG knife in my front pocket, NRA & FOP bumper stickers, explaining to the police officer how the BG got the drop on me, knocked me out, took my concealed Glock.

VIP Member
    Short of wearing a kill 'em all type shirt I don't see how what you wore would have an effect one way or another at your criminal trial (if there was one).

However a civil proceeding is another matter entirely. I wear manufacturer shirts in part because working behind the counter at a gun shop it was a perk of the job. Others I actually paid money for because I liked the shirt and it was cheaper than one I could get without a firearms manufacturer logo on it.

I don't wear kill ' em all shirts, or anything along those lines. Not my thing. I had a guy get a bit upset with me because I didn't want to buy the celebrate diversity t-shirt with all the guns on the back. He open carries most all the time, so he didn't see my side of it since I concealed carry most all the time.

At any rate, wear what you want, it's a mostly free country. If you are ok with dealing with any potential consequences that is up to you.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Don't mean nothing; no dif than a NRA Ball cap or a civ wearing a USMC t-shirt. Or me wearing a US Army T-shirt that one of our sons gave me.

True, and I've gone out wearing my NRA t-shirts plenty.

But to wear a shirt that pretty much asks, "Hey, d'you got a gun on you?" it's almost implying, "Well, I got mine, and it's a GLOCK." And that could cause some criminal type to challenge you -- or to mug you with his buddies because they think it'll net them your carry gun.

So if you don't have one on you (as this guy didn't appear to), you might find yourself a pretty helpless victim because you weren't smart enough to be armed while advertising how tough you are because you have a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by c3ks View Post
    I would not want to be the guy standing in the shopping center parking lot, in my "Got Glock?" t-shirt, 5.11 boots and pants with my SOG knife in my front pocket, NRA & FOP bumper stickers, explaining to the police officer how the BG got the drop on me, knocked me out, took my concealed Glock.
    Ah, so you want to dress for the occasion...
    Last edited by austinguy23; May 29th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.

well to throw a few cents in to the discussion, I agree with those that say that it is bad tactics to wear a shirt that so blatantly advertise that you are into guns, and perhaps might be carrying one..especially a Glock T-shirt...why that's likely to attract the attention of all sorts of gang bangers! :D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c3ks View Post
    whats the point of this? would you feel better about getting robbed if you were wearing boots/jeans, and a button up shirt? I wouldn't
    do the clothes make a difference in the crime? answer of course is no

I'm sorry, I don't think a glock shirt, NRA cap, or cargo pants (which 5.11 are along a bunch of others) amounts to a hill of beans to a meth head that wants to steal your $20 from your wallet so he can go get another fix.
    Nor does driving a beamer and wearing an expensive suit automatically mean you have wads of cash in your pockets.
    I wish every 2A supporter in the country would wear a firearms manufacturer or NRA shirt and/or hat one day as a show of support for our 2A rights, I think it would be eye-opening for a lot of folks to see exactly how many people and types of people in their communities are gun owners and we're not all running around shooting people.
    I wish we'd all stop trying to hide our pride in our 2A or memberships in the NRA, GOA and other groups. Do I wear clothes labeled with these everyday....no. Just every once in awhile, and I don't care what anybody thinks, I don't care if I make some anti mad when they see my shirt, and it does not make me more suceptible to getting my gun taken from me.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

As I stated earlier, if someone is convinced it doesn't make any difference and they are so aware that there's no way a BG could get the drop on them (spidey sense?) then by all means wear the shirt. Perhaps I should be thankful that the BG might be thinking about someones Glock shirt while ignoring me with my "Got Beer" shirt.
    Have any of you been converted to a liberal idea after seeing some innane liberal shirt/sticker?(e.g. Be Green, Celebrate Diversity, Clinton/Gore, or Wellstone(still seen on bumpers in MN)) If anything it actually pushes me in the other direction. Do you think your "Got Gun?" shirt is going to cause the liberal to say ?"Gee, I never thought about that before, but now that I see it on a T-shirt shirt it makes sense for the first time. Eureka! I can see how a person might want to compare weapons to milk, thanks for enlightening me."
    But as some have noted, it's a mostly free country and if you want to wear it really doesn't make much difference to me.
    Inches make champions. —Vince Lombardi

Ruger SP101 357mag
    Browning Hi-Power MIII 9mm
    Glock 22

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I will again depart from the "wisdom" of those that try to keep carrying a secret. Let me preface that I do not TELL anyone I am carrying.

However, I frequently wear pro-gun, 2nd ammendment and CCW shirts, hats, pins and on my car stickers.

Why? I have taken it as a personal mission to educate the public on the positive side of gun ownership. The more obvious I am on my stance, the more people ask me about it and the more I have the opportunity to express my views without coming off like a nut. (They asked me remember?) If I convert, or even neutalize one anti a year, then I am making a difference. Let's face it guys...we NEED the help.

I encourage each of you without giving away your secrets, and it is easy not to, make the effort. Reach out however you can and educate! If we want this to work we have to stop acting like it is a taboo. There are many intelligent people out there who really just need to hear the truth, and we are the only onew who will give it to them.

In summary, you can keep your CCW status private but do what you can to get the uninitiated to ask you about gun ownership.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    I will again depart from the "wisdom" of those that try to keep carrying a secret. Let me preface that I do not TELL anyone I am carrying.

However, I frequently wear pro-gun, 2nd ammendment and CCW shirts, hats, pins and on my car stickers.

Why? I have taken it as a personal mission to educate the public on the positive side of gun ownership. The more obvious I am on my stance, the more people ask me about it and the more I have the opportunity to express my views without coming off like a nut. (They asked me remember?) If I convert, or even neutalize one anti a year, then I am making a difference. Let's face it guys...we NEED the help.

I encourage each of you without giving away your secrets, and it is easy not to, make the effort. Reach out however you can and educate! If we want this to work we have to stop acting like it is a taboo. There are many intelligent people out there who really just need to hear the truth, and we are the only onew who will give it to them.

In summary, you can keep your CCW status private but do what you can to get the uninitiated to ask you about gun ownership.
    +1
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post

Make that +2.

Pros of wearing a gun shirt:

*educate people as stated above
    *may deter some of the "lesser" bad guys

Cons of wearing a gun shirt:

*too much advertising; may make you a target
    *may make anti's mad

Pros of total concealment:

*tactical advantage
    *sheeple won't be upset

Cons of total concealment:

*sheeple go on thinking that "no one I know even owns a gun"
    *lost opportunity to educate people

So whether to wear such a shirt or not depends on your mission. Sure if you are an activist, you may be more of a target, but if we don't have activists, we will continue to slowly lose our rights.

IMHO we need both activists and "grey men".

I alternate between the two.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

WOW, I guess I never gave it that much thought. I am not going to live in fear of my beliefs or my ideals so I have to side with the "I wear them too" group.

I believe in concealed carry and I never advertise specifically that I carry. I also do not like to wear rude or in your face slogans. You know the "Kill them all and let God sort it out" type stuff. Simple product advertisements for beer, tobacco, firearms and NASCAR are just the red neck way of life. Just Joking, but really I do not see it as the evil so many of you do.

I like many other I suspect show pride in my hobbies and my toys. I have a Harley Davidson sticker, an Arctic Cat sticker, an NRA sticker and my local shooting club sticker on my truck window. I also have several hats I like to wear that include a Glock hat, Ruger hat, Goex hat, several NRA hats, several different shooting club hats as well as hats for all my riding toys. I also have a lot of T-Shirts of the same as long as I can get them in 3X.

I walk proud and aware of the world around me and I do not in anyway feel like more of a target to crime of any kind because of it. I believe whole heartedly in situational awareness and self defense but not at the price of my personal freedoms. I still have a life to live and I am hoping to work it all in together.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Cons of wearing a gun shirt

*may make anti's mad

Pros of total concealment:

*sheeple won't be upset
    I'm to the point where I don't care if I make an anti mad, the madder they get the more amusement I get out of it. I also don't care if the sheeple get upset. Don't get me wrong.....I'm not going to go out of my way to piss people off, but attitudes about firearms aren't going to be changed by HIDING.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links