Carry in Georgia

Carry in Georgia

This is a discussion on Carry in Georgia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning to go to Georgia with my PA carry license. Seems that Georgia is very restrictive. Anybody on this board lives in Georgia ...

Carry in Georgia

I am planning to go to Georgia with my PA carry license. Seems that Georgia is very restrictive. Anybody on this board lives in Georgia and carries there?

Georgia on your mind

Georgia is not a bad place to have a concealed weapon. They honor Pennsylvania licenses. Come on down!
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

from what I have read, seems like most public transportation and any place that serves alcohol are off limits. Also most Gov't buildings, schools etc... Seems if you are from a place that doesn't restrict many of these, then it may seem too restrictive.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ber950 View Post
    +10000

Georgia is restrictive. Check out the above website so you can have a good idea of what to do and not do. Georgia is one of the more restrictive states with some confusing gun laws.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

So most of you keep the gun in the car...

Or carry anyway.....

I really don't like to keep my gun my car. If they had some type of lockers at least. What about having your gun unloaded in a locked box that you put in a bag.... Is it acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    +10000

Georgia is restrictive. Check out the above website so you can have a good idea of what to do and not do. Georgia is one of the more restrictive states with some confusing gun laws.

VIP Member
    Ga is better than NC

I carry where it is not off limits.

Places that are for sure off limits:
    Public gatherings that include the five below but according to the law "are not limited to"
    1. Churches
    2. Bars or any restuarant that serves alcohol
    3. Political Rally
    4. Sporting Event
    5. Government or Public buildings

Other places off limits include:
    Marta and all forms of public transportation including the airport and the parking lot unless you are a passenger then you may have it in the luggage if it has been declared. However, if you are going to the airport to pick someone up then it is a no-no.
    All state parks

You will be ok if you carry in stores, malls, resturants that don't serve, etc. You may ignore No Carry signs in private owned buisnesses. If caught they can ask you to leave and as long as you comply you are ok. If not then, tresspassing charge.

You do not have to notify law enforcement if stopped and just a piece of advice...don't. A few of our LEO's are not up to speed on Georgia's carry laws and as confusing as they are...........
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The best place to find out about GA's gun laws is GeorgiaPacking.Org

Here are the pages you might want to start with:

GA's Gun Laws "In Plain English"

Reciprocity

Places Off Limits

Places NOT Off-Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Douthit View Post
    Georgia is not a bad place to have a concealed weapon.
    No, it's not a bad place, I wouldn't say it's a "good" place either.

Can the gun be kept i n the car...

Say you go to a park, can you keep it in the car?

I have also read that locals law are illegal because State law should govern guns....

I carry where it is not off limits.

Places that are for sure off limits:
    Public gatherings that include the five below but according to the law "are not limited to"
    1. Churches
    2. Bars or any restuarant that serves alcohol
    3. Political Rally
    4. Sporting Event
    5. Government or Public buildings

Other places off limits include:
    Marta and all forms of public transportation including the airport and the parking lot unless you are a passenger then you may have it in the luggage if it has been declared. However, if you are going to the airport to pick someone up then it is a no-no.
    All state parks

You will be ok if you carry in stores, malls, resturants that don't serve, etc. You may ignore No Carry signs in private owned buisnesses. If caught they can ask you to leave and as long as you comply you are ok. If not then, tresspassing charge.

You do not have to notify law enforcement if stopped and just a piece of advice...don't. A few of our LEO's are not up to speed on Georgia's carry laws and as confusing as they are...........

Quote Originally Posted by jeanfor View Post
    Say you go to a park, can you keep it in the car?

I have also read that locals law are illegal because State law should govern guns....
    Any STATE or FEDERAL park is off limit for sure. National parks like those found in the North Georgia mountains or a state park or historic sight.

Georgia has premption, which means that state law trumps local ordinances. However, some LOCAL parks do have NO CARRY signs posted. If you carry in those you do so at your own risk. Although what you are doing is legal in the eyes of state law, who is to say some overzealous local DA won't try to prosecute you.
    The parking lots of places off limits are considered off limits as well and caselaw supports that. A grassroots organization GCO (www.georgiacarry.org) is slowly trying to get some of these laws changed. They have actually got litigation against one of the metro area counties that ban firearms in their parks.

Discretion and being discreet goes a long way in Georgia. Don't print and bring the smallest thing you can carry. If you have to disarm before having to go into a place that is off limits, do so in your vehicle so that no one sees you.

Now, on the flip side, I am going to be in PA next week to go to Gettysburg. Anything up there that I need to know about?

No PA is pretty liberal regarding gun laws. Schools and Courts are off limit as well as federal building, state parks (but not state forest). You can basically carry anywhere else....

Any STATE or FEDERAL park is off limit for sure. National parks like those found in the North Georgia mountains or a state park or historic sight.

Georgia has premption, which means that state law trumps local ordinances. However, some LOCAL parks do have NO CARRY signs posted. If you carry in those you do so at your own risk. Although what you are doing is legal in the eyes of state law, who is to say some overzealous local DA won't try to prosecute you.
    The parking lots of places off limits are considered off limits as well and caselaw supports that. A grassroots organization GCO (www.georgiacarry.org) is slowly trying to get some of these laws changed. They have actually got litigation against one of the metro area counties that ban firearms in their parks.

Discretion and being discreet goes a long way in Georgia. Don't print and bring the smallest thing you can carry. If you have to disarm before having to go into a place that is off limits, do so in your vehicle so that no one sees you.

Now, on the flip side, I am going to be in PA next week to go to Gettysburg. Anything up there that I need to know about?

Links