vacation in Boston

This is a discussion on vacation in Boston within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Traveling by auto from Kansas to Boston. My ccw permit is legal in all states getting there. Best that I can understand is that handgun ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: vacation in Boston

  1. #1
    New Member Array beene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    5

    vacation in Boston

    Traveling by auto from Kansas to Boston. My ccw permit is legal in all states getting there. Best that I can understand is that handgun isn't legal there even in locked container unless attending shooting event, gun show, etc. Is this correct? I try to be a law abiding citizen but don't want to travel this distance without gun protection. Really don't want to take a rifle or shotgun. Also don't want to apply to Mass. for a temporary permit.
    The federal law which allows transporting doesn't apply for extended stay.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,482
    I can but suggest http://www.handgunlaw.us - http://www.nra.org ... and also check out the Mass state laws - not sure of the site but Google could be your friend.

    My ccw permit is legal in all states getting there
    Even in NY state????

    Oh and BTW - welcome You live in ''Bumper Territory''!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  4. #3
    New Member Array beene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    5

    handgun in boston

    Thanks for directing me the laws of NY and Mass.

    After researching laws governing transporting handguns in NY an Mass. realize only bad guys are allowed to have them. Guess I will take a stick and hope that sticks have not been banned yet.
    Beene

  5. #4
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,482
    One sorta solution ..... and this would require you travel thru PA on a more Southerly route (initially) ........ maybe you'll be avoiding IL (I expect) and crossing MO to South and then KY and VA perhaps, would be to stop by here and leave the hardware until your return trip. I am sorta South central.

    Hardly the ideal solution but it would at least help cover things in part. Better still might be finding a member here who is NE PA and leave gun there. Hate the thought of the uncovered journey for that distance.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array raysheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    793
    just out of curiosity but why not get the MA permit...it's expensive, but in Boston...well...it could be worth every penny.

  7. #6
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

    Hardly the ideal solution but it would at least help cover things in part. Better still might be finding a member here who is NE PA and leave gun there. Hate the thought of the uncovered journey for that distance.
    i'm located in scranton, NEPA. if i can be of any help, let me know.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array gddyup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Derry, NH
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    just out of curiosity but why not get the MA permit...it's expensive, but in Boston...well...it could be worth every penny.
    You also have to own a handgun that is allowable under the MA law. There is a list somewhere that specifies which handguns you are allowed to carry in MA. The magazine also has to be limited to 10 rounds since more than that is illegal.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

    <----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array raysheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    You also have to own a handgun that is allowable under the MA law. There is a list somewhere that specifies which handguns you are allowed to carry in MA. The magazine also has to be limited to 10 rounds since more than that is illegal.
    Pre-94 >10 round mags are legal there if I recall correctly. Also I was under the impression that the gun list was only for dealers and that's why people can bring any gun they want into the state from out of state when they move there....creates a rather high price for some firearms. (or so I though, I could very well be wrong on that part so don't quote me)

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    643
    From Kansas, just take I-70 instead of I-80... then jump up to Pittsburg. That way you only have a brief part of your journey without your gun.

    As for Boston... my sister lives there, and I still haven't visited thanks to their idiotic laws.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

    - Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

  11. #10
    Member Array Irontoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    54
    For some reason I thought Kansas was not a CCW state? Am I wrong?
    Toad

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Shizzlemah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    723
    You also have to own a handgun that is allowable under the MA law. There is a list somewhere that specifies which handguns you are allowed to carry in MA. The magazine also has to be limited to 10 rounds since more than that is illegal.
    Mags made after 1994 must be 10 rounds. Old (perban) mags are allowed with a MA class A CCW for the preban mags. Post 2004 hicaps are forbidden.

    Without the MA non res CCW, you can have it unloaded in a box in the trunk while travelling. You are illegal when you get to a destination other than a shooting match.

    MA has been granting non-res Class A CCWs pretty reliably. MA does not grant non-res Class B (as a Class B is basically a "peaceable journey" ticket)

  13. #12
    New Member Array beene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    5

    Kansas

    Kansas is a CCW state as of the first of 2007. However, their terrible govenor is as anti as one can be and she is trying to block any laws that deal with ccw. She needs to be tossed out her next election.

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    From Kansas, just take I-70 instead of I-80... then jump up to Pittsburg. That way you only have a brief part of your journey without your gun.

    As for Boston... my sister lives there, and I still haven't visited thanks to their idiotic laws.
    Taking I-70 there will still be 151 miles of Illinois to traverse unarmed and 18 miles of West Virginia to traverse unarmed. Then there is always New York or New Jersey to traverse also unarmed and if in New Jersey, without any hollow point ammunition. Made the trip to the DC metro and back this week. Also had to disarm for Maryland (3 miles). Also depending on what permit(s) you have there may be other states you need to disarm in. For me it was 1074 miles each way and I was only disarmed for 172 miles of it each way.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Commiechusetts
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    You also have to own a handgun that is allowable under the MA law. There is a list somewhere that specifies which handguns you are allowed to carry in MA. The magazine also has to be limited to 10 rounds since more than that is illegal.
    Sorry, but nothing but bad info here.

    NO handguns are banned in MA. Pre-9/13/94 hi-cap mags are fine, otherwise no hi-caps unless the carrier is LE.

    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Pre-94 >10 round mags are legal there if I recall correctly. Also I was under the impression that the gun list was only for dealers and that's why people can bring any gun they want into the state from out of state when they move there....creates a rather high price for some firearms. (or so I though, I could very well be wrong on that part so don't quote me)
    You are 100% correct!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Mags made after 1994 must be 10 rounds. Old (perban) mags are allowed with a MA class A CCW for the preban mags. Post 2004 hicaps are forbidden.

    Without the MA non res CCW, you can have it unloaded in a box in the trunk while travelling. You are illegal when you get to a destination other than a shooting match.

    MA has been granting non-res Class A CCWs pretty reliably. MA does not grant non-res Class B (as a Class B is basically a "peaceable journey" ticket)
    You are "mostly correct". Major error is the FOPA ONLY covers you legally if you are "legal at starting point" AND "legal at destination". Since the destination is MA and OP does NOT have a MA NR LTC, he would NOT be legal per FOPA at any point in his trip to MA. He would be "illegal" unless he held a CCW that was recognized in the state he is traveling at the time in question (e.g. if stopped by PD).
    NRA Instructor

  16. #15
    Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Commiechusetts
    Posts
    1,624
    OP probably does not have time to get a MA NR LTC. It would probably take 3+ months (CHSB has warned of a serious backlog thru the Summer and Fall).

    The OP would have to take a MA approved handgun course with a MA State Police Certified Instructor prior to applying for said permit. Unless he can find one near where he lives, he wouldn't be able to accomplish this pre-trip.

    MA NR LTC costs $100/year (unless US Military . . . their NR LTC is good for 2 years).
    NRA Instructor

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Boston PD initiative
    By NKMG19 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: May 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
  2. Flying through Boston
    By SIGguy229 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
  3. Situation in Boston
    By CT Kid in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM