College carrying question - Page 2

College carrying question

This is a discussion on College carrying question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; federal law does not prohibit it. state law might. most colleges wont allow it anyways (so you would get expelled, not arrested). so check your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College carrying question

federal law does not prohibit it. state law might. most colleges wont allow it anyways (so you would get expelled, not arrested). so check your own state laws and read your colleges student handbook. if you cant find it give the college a call and im sure someone can help you out.

Just remember the same law, Federal or State, that tells you that you cannot have a gun also tells the criminal he cannot have one... In addition the same law that keeps the criminal from being searched without proper cause keeps you from being searched without proper cause.

I always suggest one make up their own mind and keep quiet.

I only know Colorado law. In Colorado is totally legal to carry on campus and encouraged by the Larimer County Sheriff (listed in another thread). That is the county that Colorado State University resides. CSU still doesn't allow storage in the Dorm, you would need to live off-campus. If the College doesn't address it specifically it is legal and approved. University of Denver doesn't allow "illegal guns" and will report any illegal wepons to DPD. They don't address CCW or legal firearms.

CU forbids firearms on campus. They can't leagally do that since they are a state school, but no one has challenged it yet and the then AG Ken Salizar wrote an opinion that they had the right to made a decision at the board level. The Larimer County Sheriff stated on a local radio (KHOW - Caplis and Silverman Show) that inhis opinion the AG opinion would be found in contempt of the CRS. The sheriff also told the talk show host that anyone who came to his sheriff's office was wlcome to conceal carry or open carry and the staff was not to hasle them

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    The Airzona law applies only to public universities and community colleges. My school is neither, but is a private university. Guns are banned on campus by school rules... however as I've stated before.. QUITE A FEW of the students have firearms and keep them hidden in dorm rooms - I've ever heard rumors of a pair of roommates who assembled AR-15's in their dorm and had parts laying everywhere... Students have been busted with them and seeing firearms cases being smuggled into and out of dorms is not uncommon.

Officially the school is against students having them... But.. Getting caught with one doesn't usually go beyond a "You're an idiot for getting caught with one, now get rid of it or we'll have to slap your wrist" citation. I wouldn't be shocked if quite a few students carried and I'm sure some of the staff does. The nature of the school reinforces personal responsibility and duty to yourself as well as others. Punishing CHL holders would prove quite counter productive.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links