Horrible day at the range - Page 3

Horrible day at the range

This is a discussion on Horrible day at the range within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading this makes me even more glad that most members of my range are either hunters that show up just before a hunting season opens ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horrible day at the range

VIP Member
    Reading this makes me even more glad that most members of my range are either hunters that show up just before a hunting season opens to zero rifles and pattern shotguns or Cowboy Action shooters that only show up on match day. In the two years I've been a member I have been at the range when someone else was shooting on the same range once and two times I can think of there was someone on the rifle range while I was on the pistol range. We just built a new trap/skeet range with houses, pads, and all the goodies and I've never seen anyone using it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

These kind of safety violations unfortunately can happen at ANY range. During a demonstration by an FBI Firearms Instructor at Quantico to a group of FBINA attendees of which I was a part, I recall having to sidestep to prevent having to look directly down the muzzle of the supposedly deactivated revolver he pointed at me. He chided me a bit for being so squeamish but I explained that I ALWAYS considered that view of a firearm as dangerous and that I NEVER wanted to get out of THAT mindset!
    Last edited by Captain38; May 30th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    That's a bit further out than I want, but I have been there once or twice and it was a nice place with a good reputation, not to mention the last place some guy tried to rob. I'd like to find something on the south side or east side.
    It is worth the drive, I'm out on the Belle Meade side of things and I still get up there at least once a week to use their automated target system, they claim it is the best one in a very large radius.

I work in an FFL licensed pawn shop, and there are time where I am "dancing" around behind the counter to keep idiots from pointing guns at me. People look at you funny when you tell them that the next time they point a gun at you, you will return in kind.

I actually enjoy those gun range commando's. There was one at the range one afternoon when a friend and I were there. He was shooting his Glock 9mm as fast as he could pull the trigger. If he hit the paper it was applaudable, yet he was "impressing" everyone else on the range.

I loaded up my .40 minding my own business, hung a target and ran it out to about the same distance as his (neighboring lane). As I pick up the gun to prepare to shoot, he lets off a string of 9mm that was about as well placed as a nudist colony in Times Square. That is when I notice that he has shot my target. I politely told him that I appreciated the help killing the target, but I could handle that myself. He didn't see the humor in my remark. His response was that he was practicing rapid fire and that I should mind my own business. I was ready to smack the snot out of the guy. Instead I unloaded 13 rounds of well placed rapid shots. Mine were slower than his, but they were all in the 9 ring. I just replaced paper and went about shooting.

A few magazines later, he packed up and left. Appearently his girlfriend was more interested in watching me shoot than watching her boyfriend shoot, and he was having none of that.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I'm lucky, because I belong to a sportsman's club, and can go there without having a bunch of cowboys around. The commercial ranges around here also rent guns to anyone with a driver's license, and there's always a gangster type or two being unsafe. Sooner or later, some yahoo is going to rent a gun, go into the range, and off himself. I don't want to be around when that happens, because of all of the paperwork involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    Sooner or later, some yahoo is going to rent a gun, go into the range, and off himself. I don't want to be around when that happens, because of all of the paperwork involved.

or decide he doesnt want to be alone on the CSI's victim report. people are selfish when they go out these days.

I'm reminded of my worst yet range experience.

While at a formal Marine Corps school, we were conducting a live fire shotgun range from behind cover at multiples involving tactical reloads. I was directly to the right of a shooter who ducked back behind cover - with his weapon on fire and finger inside the triggerguard, round in chamber - and pointed his shotgun at me while adding shells to his magazine tube. I hit the deck, and the range RSO kicked him off the range. He was dropped from the class, had to repeat 2 weeks of training. I guess he learned his lesson - I was happy to have survived.

Austin

I've seen this type of thread elsewhere various times. Everybody, including myself, has a bad range etiquette story. Has anybody ever heard of someone getting shot at a public (not military or police) range because a muzzle was pointed in the wrong direction? It seems that if it happened often enough the public ranges would be closing down due to insurance and liability concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestone View Post
    I've seen this type of thread elsewhere various times. Everybody, including myself, has a bad range etiquette story. Has anybody ever heard of someone getting shot at a public (not military or police) range because a muzzle was pointed in the wrong direction? It seems that if it happened often enough the public ranges would be closing down due to insurance and liability concerns.
    My CHP instructor got the "million-dollar wound" when an older gentleman didn't know how to tell if his .22 was loaded and shuffled around and swept the right side of the range.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

My first time at a new range proved to be very interesting. It was a DNR range and was basically a ravine in the woods with 2 benches and a 100yd, 50yd, and 25yd target. Great little place to shoot for free and only 15 minutes away. So a buddy of mine and I go out there and there were 3 guys there already. Total guns was 3 rifles, 1 shotgun, and 4 pistols not counting our toys. So we chat it up with the guys for a few minutes about what they are firing and at what yardage. One guy with a 17HMR rifle was sighting in at 100yds. We take out of Pistols, lay them down open and faced slightly to the left of downrange and both empty magazines next to them. We ask "Everyone Open and unloaded? Safe to go downrange?" Everyone says Yes and we walk down to the 25 yrd posts to hang our targets. Just as I am stapling the first target up I hear the guy with the 17HMR Open the bolt and close it rather quickly. I turn around to see the rifle pointed in our general direction and he is looking through the scope. As my buddy and I scurry into the woods I yell "HEY WTH UNLOAD YOUR GUN". His unbelievable response...."Don't worry the safety is on!"

I was in Aww. We sat behind the 3 guys for about 10 minutes and did not shoot anything. They got the hint and left.

One thing we have changed since this experience...When we are at a free, unsupervised range, only one of us goes downrange while the other is armed and holstered behind anyone else at the range to help supervise.

yes, i hav a had several rather frightening experiences at public ranges. the most notable though was when my dad and i were shooting black powder about 2 years ago when this guy and a couple others walk up to a vacant position 2 or 3 firing points to the left of us. the "leader" of the group was carrying an M1919A6 belt-fed .30 machine gun and the others were carrying several rifle cases and a cartload of ammo. now, bfor the break some people (inluding myself) were rather interested in his M1919 since it is rare and one gentleman asked if it were fully automatic and the guy replied that it wasnt and that this was his first time at the range with it. so, after the break, the man loads a full belt into the gun and gets all settled in a bench-rest position. then, he squeezes the trigger and i hear and see a sudden BANG, BANG, BANG and the guy, by the time the third round had fired was almost completely knocked off the shooting stool, i guess it wasnt semi auto after all. after a few more bursts where the man was again almost knocked off the stool, my dad and i decided to call it a day and packed up and left.

Had the man been knocked off the stool, chances are that he would've brought the gun with him and his finger would hav depressed the trigger, sending automatic fire everywhere. i'm just glad that that didnt happen!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    There is a range here in the Minneapolis area with some pretty interesting clientel.

Bills Gun Shop is in one of the worst areas in the twin cities. Everytime I've gone to their new top of the line range I see gangsters, shooting .500 SW, shiney 1911's, and glocks galore. It is not uncommon to witness people aiming their kill machines adjacent to the firing line.
    It behooves you to simply not go there -- at all.

The alternative is to go there and observe the antics with righteous indignation, but be exposed to an inordinate amount of personal risk. It's just not worth it.

For the sake of argument, what did this "BG" look like? Was he dressed abnormally? I often find people discriminate young gun owners because of looks, though this kind of training is what should be discriminated against.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links