Defensive Carry banner

Horrible day at the range

5K views 42 replies 35 participants last post by  Illuminaughty 
#1 ·
In the middle of my job hunting today, I snuck in time to pop off a few rounds at the local range. I met a very nice gentleman (from here on called GG) who quickly offered his weapon for me to try, and we talked for the rest of the session. On my other side I hear "what kind of gun is that?" Enter "BG". I replied, and handed it to him to have a look-see. During his inspection, BG managed to put the muzzle in line with my forehead, allowing a nice view of the chamber and firing pin I had not before been able to appreciate. It was of course not loaded, but slide closed and in single action, he never bothered to make sure he wouldnt be spending his life in prison. His friend quickly told him "dont point it at his head"--good advice:gah:
Later BG came to pay me another visit, and seeing my pile of gold dots said "hollow points, wow." I said "yea". He said "I just use practice bullets (examining my ammo), you see... hollow points are for armor piercing." I just nodded my head. As the GG on my other side was taking a rest waiting for the cease fire to retrieve his target before leaving, the guy asked me if "you guys were leaving". I said no. He said "can I shoot at your target". I said no. He asked the good guy "can I shoot at that?" He said "I'm saving my target".
Cease fire came, and I decided to pop off my last 5 rounds at a multi target paper. 5 bullseyes in 5 targets (sweet). I hung around to pick up my stuff, clean the brass and whatnot waiting until I could get my paper and watched BG shoot the most amazing 50 rounds, covering the entire paper (say 18x24?) evenly dispersed like a picture perfect pepperoni pizza, with no hint of a group of any sort. Cease fire comes and as I'm pulling my perfect target from the boards he smacks me on the shoulder and points to the two he got in the center, "check it out man!" I said "nice", and pointed at one in the 9 ring and asked "what about that one?" He said he messed up. AHHHHH. I am usually quite pleased and even impressed with the quality of people I meet at ranges, but say 5% really scare the begeezus outta me. I'm just thankful I didn't hand my loaded 40 to that guy and let him put one between my eyes and say "I messed up on that one". I need to start carrying business cards that are something in the order of

Defensivecarry.com
Because you're a moron

Normally I'm glad to talk guns and ammo and advice and whatever, but this is the first time I just nodded my head to get away from the conversation. Now I understand why some of you guys have gotten to the point where you say "because I can" if someone questions your motives for carrying. Anyone else have any bad experiences fo the sort?
Stay safe fellas. Avoid morons.

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a range here in the Minneapolis area with some pretty interesting clientel.

Bills Gun Shop is in one of the worst areas in the twin cities. Everytime I've gone to their new top of the line range I see gangsters, shooting .500 SW, shiney 1911's, and glocks galore. It is not uncommon to witness people aiming their kill machines adjacent to the firing line.

#42 ·
It behooves you to simply not go there -- at all.

The alternative is to go there and observe the antics with righteous indignation, but be exposed to an inordinate amount of personal risk. It's just not worth it.

#3 ·
I work part time at an indoor range and have many stories to tell about poor safety while handling firearms. Never miss a chance to speak up for yourself when somebody does something wrong. Politeness usually works wonders. Never miss an opportunity to leave when the vibe is not right. Learn to walk backwards and know what is behind you as you leave. Always keep a loaded concealed hand gun on you whenever you are around people with guns.

#4 ·
Fortunately I live in an area that gives me access to wide open spaces... I have my own target stands with targets and NO scrotum types like you ran in to. :gah:

I used to drive no more that 2 miles to go shooting, now with developement I drive 12-15 but your story makes it all worth it even at todays gas prices! :rofl:

#5 ·
Learn to walk backwards and know what is behind you as you leave
Haha - like that one!!

I am lucky most of time but like most have met these - hmmm - :censored: types! They are dangerous to all and themselves but - at risk of being unpopular I will call them out on safety matters any and every time I can.

If I were acting RSO - they'd be gone, real fast.

#6 ·
WOW!

I'm glad your all right.

#7 ·
range dudes

Yes, you were nice and your niceness came around and almost bit you in the nether regions! DH and I were at the range a while back. Mr. Know It All walked up as we were finishing. Not only did he pull his gun out prematurely (he was next in line for the next open lane) he swept us a few times and proceeded to point and laugh at people's targets. DH indicated it was TIME TO GO and before we could pick up our range bags, this guy pushes his >350 pounds around us and puts his stuff in our lane (we hadn't pulled our targets in yet). Now he's facing us and DH puts on his "back off!" face. Dude finally gets a clue and steps back. This just goes to prove that these people are everywhere and are reproducing:gah:
tk

#9 ·
There is more than one place to shoot here in Nashville and the surrounding areas, there is only one place I truly feel at ease shooting at though.
I've had a couple of encounters with punks and gang kids, nothing overtly threatening just worrying. Being swept, having my range bag eyed up, feeling very 'watched' as I leave with a few grands worth of handguns alone.
If ranges won't keep them out then I vote with my feet, pay my money and make my choice.

#10 ·
When ever I'm at the range I always keep a loaded gun on my side. I own 2 Glocks so they will both fit in my carry holster. Most of the time the people at the range are pretty cool, but every once in a while you get some real dirtbags. Stay safe stay armed ALWAYS:smoke23:

#11 ·
During his inspection, BG managed to put the muzzle in line with my forehead, allowing a nice view of the chamber and firing pin I had not before been able to appreciate.
:mad: Unloaded or not, that guy would have at least gotten a knee to the nads for that one. Maybe he'd think twice before pointing a gun at anyone again. :aargh4::scruntiny:

#14 ·
Ever wonder who put all the holes in the ceiling at the gun range? I've been to several ranges and they are all the same unless it is a new range. I actualy saw a guy shoot the ceiling. He raised a model 29 Smith and Weson above his head aiming it straight up and as he brought it down it went off hitting the ceiling. He cocks it again and procedes to raise it above his head. This time he shoots the floresent light above his head. this brings the owner of the range back who ask him to leave. I always wondered if the range ceiling leaked when it rained

#15 ·
I've run into my fair share of morons at ranges. I wish there was a test to take to be able to use the range.

Glad you came out OK.

Hollow points being armor piercing huh? I have heard that one too. I always ask the idiots, "how can they be armor piercing when they have less mass that full metal jacket ammo? The morons almost never understand the question. Morons are usually not physics majors.

#22 ·
I wish there was a test to take to be able to use the range.
There was a test that you had to pass to use the range that I shoot at...

Here's my story:
I'm joining the local range and taking the safety seminar that is required before you use the facilities. Waiting for the instructor I hear this "commando" type next to me talking to his buddy. Talking about someone he knows who was in the service...couldn't remember which branch he served in or which country he was in but the story was great! :rolleyes: Anyway his friend is a sniper and was using one of those night vision scopes that sees through 2 feet of concrete...he shot at a BG behind the wall and missed him but they "lost" the bad guy...upon inspecting the building it turns out that he did indeed miss the bad guy, BUT due to the super powerful fifty cal. his face was torn completely off as the bullet wizzed by his head. :scruntiny:
So this story makes me pay a bit closer attention to him when we are on the range since he was a rather "big mouth" "I know it all" type. It was a good thing I was paying attention because this guy was downright scary! In one quick movement he picks up his pistol, finger on the trigger, SLAMS in a magazine, finger still on trigger, racks slide finger sti...*inturrupted by instructor and taught how to do it correctly* continues to be dangerous and forces the instructor to hover over him for the remainder of the exercise....not the craziest story, but this guy passed the safety course so needless to say it is time for me to leave if he ever shows up on a day that I'm there.
Good news is that most people at my range are VERY good safety wise....but then it only takes one.

#16 ·
I think I'll be sticking to the NRA range from now on. Comes out to the same cost and seems much more professional (I've seen FBI, LE, congressmen, but also the occasional computer geek with an AR). That being said, there are still holes in the tables, walls, etc. I have never taken a friend to shoot, but it seems that 20 seconds of conversation to cover the four rules would solve any safety departures, and save them and myself from any embarassment or awkwardness. Mr. BG in the story wasn't trying to be an A-hole, but just seemed kinda oblivious and childish.... like a 6'4 giant italian construction worker with the brain of a puppy, just not knowing any better. Living in NVa I'm used to people being stupid, and sometimes its like I have to keep my head above theirs to keep the world running smoothly, but when it involves my life I realize the true potential of the demon we call incompetence. Hope you Virginians frequent the ranges to watch my back!

#17 ·
I think I would have calmly told him that if he's going to be unsafe, he should leave the range and make firearms and other dangerous objects inaccessible to himself until he takes a qualified safety class.

I also would have educated him on JHP vs FMJ and other types of bullets.

I'm glad you made it out OK.. We learn from our mistakes. :embarassed:

#18 ·
All of this calm polite negotiating makes a lot of sense if earplugs and muzzle reports weren't present. I'm kinda bent on the idea that things happen for a reason. For all I know, his buddy (who happened to be much more professional, polite and intellegent) gave him a crash course in pistolcraft on the drive home that prevents him from having a big accident somewhere down the road. Then again maybe it is just a lesson for me to not let others touch my damn HK!

#19 ·
I only go during the week now, I'm usually the only one there. Weekends are just too scary.

Last time I went on a busy day I saw this mom and dad standing back behind their teenage kid while he was shooting and I guess he was proud of his shot because he turned around to smile and them and swept everyone to his right and then was pointing his gun at mom and dad with a big grin on his face.

#20 ·
Up here in Northern Az. we don't have any "controled ranges". We have been trying to get one for years, but it seems to be a pipe dream. I just go out to one of the many pits and shoot. there's a pretty popular one about 10 miles out of town, that attracts it's fair share of morons, who will shoot at anything on the range, shoot over your head from the lip of the pit,etc, etc. I know of a lot of other places to shoot at and go there.

I have NO tolerance for poor behavior with firearms, Ignorance is not an excuse!!!!:hand1::buttkick::buttkick::mad:

#24 ·
Oh gosh, do I have the stories to tell.

I work at a gun shop/range and if I have a dollar for every gun that was pointed in my direction I would be making twice what I'm paid an hour.

Some of the people that come in TRULY amaze me as well as scare the crap out of me.

#26 ·
I don't like public ranges and patiently wait for when I getto visit family on the weekend. It's a 40 minute drive, but well worth the peace and quiet (until we start shooting, that is :knockedout: ) and skilled company.

No muzzles pointed at me, no "here, let me show you how it's done, honey," no spraying random shots all over the place, no "that's an ugly/useless/antique/plastic/too big/too small/too loud/too wimpy gun," and I don't have to worry about any gear disappearing.

I would like to find a decent range in Nashville, though, for when I take a newbie or guest out.

#28 ·
Say, you didn't happen to be out in Rustic near Charles City, were you? There's all kinds of geniuses that go to the WMA range, just put on a "don't fricking talk to me" attitude and people will leave you alone. I like going out there with my buddies and shooting 12 gages that get better patterns than the guys shooting their wonderguns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.