Alcohol and CCW

This is a discussion on Alcohol and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense I never intended my primary point to be a whether to carry while under the influence (whatever that may mean morally ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and CCW

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I never intended my primary point to be a whether to carry while under the influence (whatever that may mean morally or legally) question but rather whether to abandon friends because they were going to a place where alcohol was served or temporarily abandoning the weapon for a social situation.
    Bye friends, see you tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

A few years back we had some BGs who liked to hold up ABC lounges.The more people in the bar the better they would line every one up and rob them all. thats one reason I stay out of bars

I don't drink and drive and I don't drink and carry. Period.

And, in fact, I do not drink when out in public, period. The rare occasions I do drink, it is at home and just a beer or a very weak mixed drink.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You are out with your friends and someone suggests going to a restaurant (or bar.) In Arizona, you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Do you decline, do you secure your CCW in your vehicle and socialize, do you have a beer or two?

At what point, should you decide to drink, do you rearm? Are all CCW holders teetotalers?
    CCW = responsibility = no mind altering substances at all

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I don't drink at all. In Kansas, you can go into a restaurant WITH a bar, so long as the primary business of the establishment is food. So if the guys want to go to Applebees, we're good to go... still, I won't sit AT the bar while carrying.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    No they are not, just as many drivers also aren't. The clever ones however separate the drinking and the gun or car.

I never drink and drive, never even one drink. I have the self-discipline to do that and it's served me well.
    The same with carrying a gun...
    +1 for me as well. I live in Texas and our laws are different, but I'd recommend you simply obey the local laws. If you want to drink, don't carry even if it's "only one". If you want to socialize but don't plan to drink AND it isn't against the law, carry your weapon and make sure it remains out of sight.

You have to decide what works for you, but would it be worth it to have that one drink or be carrying in a bar, have something go wrong - remember Murphys Law - and have your gun taken by the police... as well as your permit?
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I know this is my first post, but are you guys reading the question? He's not asking anything about drinking and carrying.

Now, in reference to the OP, I encounter this situation often as well. If I'm driving, I just secure my pistol and head on in for the fun. As a young person, staying away from bars or places that serve alcohol is probably not an option if you wish to have a social life. Even if you don't drink, many of your friends more than likely will. You can choose to abandon your friends, but unless you can find other CCW's or non-drinkers (very difficult), you'll probably need to adjust and accept some degree of risk (being unarmed).

You are out with your friends and someone suggests going to a restaurant (or bar.) In Arizona, you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Do you decline, do you secure your CCW in your vehicle and socialize, do you have a beer or two?

At what point, should you decide to drink, do you rearm? Are all CCW holders teetotalers?
    If you think there is a chance you are going to drink, don't go armed that night. I believe there are hardly any instances wherein one should have a gun left in his/her car.

As far as I'm concerned, taverns, whether they be local haunts or some of the more fancy upholstered sewers, do not mix with guns.

But then - a usual, I'm prejudiced in that I hate taverns of any kind. I don't like being around drunks. People change after they've had a drink or two. Matter of fact, It's not really a change, it's their real selves coming out.

One allowance I'll make for leaving a gun in car if it is absolutely necessary - get one of those metal gun boxes that bolts to the car's floor and has a combination lock on it.

There is NO other method for keeping a gun in a car that I excuse. People who get their guns stolen from their auto should lose their ccw permit permanently.

Remember that rat-face Sean Penn and his episode with a gun. Because he is a "celebrity" is one of the privileged few to have a ccw permit in Kalifornia. He left his gun in his car when going into a restaurant. It was stolen while he ate.

If you can afford a gun, you can afford a proper method of storage if it absolutely MUST for some reason be left in a car.

In the advent of the PT380 and some of the NAA revolvers and pistols, there is NO excuse in my mind to go unarmed at work - unless carrying where you work will get you thrown into jail.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Not an issue for me, as I don't drink alcohol. However, I DO like to go out to eat. I also live in AZ and am aware of the "rules" against having a firearm in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.
    I don't advocate breaking the law, but I also don't advocate being a sheep. Your decision alone...
    Yup, concealed means concealed...so I "unofficially" heard at Gunsite...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Remember that rat-face Sean Penn and his episode with a gun. Because he is a "celebrity" is one of the privileged few to have a ccw permit in Kalifornia. He left his gun in his car when going into a restaurant. It was stolen while he ate.
    They didn't steal just his guns, they stole the entire car. No security container bolted into a car will withstand the sort of attack that can be brought when you have the entire car to work on. If you have one I would certainly like to know about it, as the portable bolt to your car types will fail when properly attacked.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    They didn't steal just his guns, they stole the entire car.

The article I read on the matter forgot to mention that little fact.

Again, it points to why guns shouldn't be left in cars.

One of the worst moments of anyone's life would be the cop's paying them a visit and telling them that a couple of 16 year-old workers in a fast food place were killed with your 'missing' gun.

I simply cannot accept reasons for leaving a gun in a car.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar

One of the worst moments of anyone's life would be the cop's paying them a visit and telling them that a couple of 16 year-old workers in a fast food place were killed with your 'missing' gun.

I simply cannot accept blaming anyone but the THIEF for a theft, or anyone but the MURDERER for the murder...

VIP Member

It was a 1986 Buick Grand National (I owned a 1987). Easy to steal (mine was as well). At least one of the stolen guns has been recovered in Oakland.

As for no reason to store in a vehicle well, I have a lot of reasons. If I am discovered carrying a gun where I work I am terminated. Depending on the client site I'm working at I could end up in federal prison. The former is not something I want, and the latter is something I'd rather not contemplate. You can say get a new job, but it isn't that simple. I thoroughly enjoy what I do and I am very well compensated.

Given that I sometimes drive anywhere from a few hundred to over a thousand miles to reach my office or client site I would prefer to bring my gun with me for the trip. There are sometimes circumstances beyond my control that dictate that I must leave my gun in the vehicle. It is something that happens whether or not I want it to or not. It's nice for you to be in a position where you cannot accept it. Someday I'll be there as well I hope (retirement).

To address the OP.

In Virginia there is no statutory limit for Drunk In Public (DIP). Were you to be seen drinking in an establishment while carrying (in VA you would need to open carry to be legal), I would guess that a LEO would simply arrest you for DIP and then add on a carrying while intoxicated charge. So I will open carry in places where adult beverages are served, but I will not imbibe. If I choose to imbibe then I will disarm. Just how it is to be a responsible armed citizen.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I simply cannot accept blaming anyone but the THIEF for a theft, or anyone but the MURDERER for the murder...
    Exactly, while leaving a gun out of view and locked in a car isn't ideal, I wouldn't exactly call it negligent either.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlock View Post
    I know this is my first post, but are you guys reading the question? He's not asking anything about drinking and carrying.

Now, in reference to the OP, I encounter this situation often as well. If I'm driving, I just secure my pistol and head on in for the fun. As a young person, staying away from bars or places that serve alcohol is probably not an option if you wish to have a social life. Even if you don't drink, many of your friends more than likely will. You can choose to abandon your friends, but unless you can find other CCW's or non-drinkers (very difficult), you'll probably need to adjust and accept some degree of risk (being unarmed).
    Thanks for understanding the intent of my question. I obviously worded it poorly (and chose a bad title) for it to be misconstrued so badly. Further, I did not intend to mean abandon friends permanently and get new ones but to politely decline in a particular instance (perhaps frequently) rather than going unarmed.

It has raised an interesting issue regarding the storage of the CCW in the car. But another issue is if it is concealed and your friends are unaware you carry then how do you secure the weapon without revealing you carry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links