Alcohol and CCW

This is a discussion on Alcohol and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are out with your friends and someone suggests going to a restaurant (or bar.) In Arizona, you cannot carry in an establishment that serves ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and CCW

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

Alcohol and CCW

You are out with your friends and someone suggests going to a restaurant (or bar.) In Arizona, you cannot carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Do you decline, do you secure your CCW in your vehicle and socialize, do you have a beer or two?

At what point, should you decide to drink, do you rearm? Are all CCW holders teetotalers?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Are all CCW holders teetotalers?
    No they are not, just as many drivers also aren't. The clever ones however separate the drinking and the gun or car.

I never drink and drive, never even one drink. I have the self-discipline to do that and it's served me well.
    The same with carrying a gun.

YMMV, and in this thread it will...

Assistant Administrator
    I'm not sure what search criteria would bring up the material but - this has been debated at great length here.

OK - here ya go - You may find a read of these will give you a broad feel for opinion.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=23766

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=11262
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not an issue for me, as I don't drink alcohol. However, I DO like to go out to eat. I also live in AZ and am aware of the "rules" against having a firearm in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises.
    I don't advocate breaking the law, but I also don't advocate being a sheep. Your decision alone...
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

For me, I dont touch alcohol if im anywhere near firearms. Not even "just 1 or 2 beers" If something does happen, im sure my BAC will come into play during legal precedings.

JD
    Administrator

Alchohol and CCW

Don't mix well, at max I'll have one, and never leave the table for about an hour after the drink is done.

Here in PA, you can carry at an establishment that serves, but it is frowned upon, if in another state where forbidden...well it depends on the circumstances, who I'm with, what is being celebrated, am I in my vehicle so I can secure my firearm, etc. etc.

If it's just some of the guys who want to get sauced, they can drop me off at home first and then go make fools of themselves.

Here in Fl the 51% rule applys. You can carry in restaurants that serve booze, but you cannot carry in bars that serve food.
    Life is too short to be serious!

P95Carry,

Thanks for the links. I assumed the topic was previously discussed and did try a few search engine efforts (none that came up with the relevant threads.) I hope it is not inappropriate to rehash old issues. Just seeing all the new members since I joined (and the totals) is evidence that this is an excellent forum with great people. If it is inappropriate then I will research topics more thoroughly before asking a 'dumb' question.

Ohio is a no-carry state in any place that serves alcohol. I leave my sidearm in the car or at home at work, and if I am going out to make a fool out of myself on the weekends, everything is unloaded and secured before I leave.

If I was in a car and that situation came up, and I couldn't get home to secure I would leave it in the vehicle locked somehow, and be the DD for the night. DD for me means no alcohol at all for what thats worth.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Not Really...

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTTBAR View Post
    Here in Fl the 51% rule applys. You can carry in restaurants that serve booze, but you cannot carry in bars that serve food.
    It is not a 51% rule here in FL. Actually, it's kind of an odd law. If you go into an Olive Garden, for example, you cannot sit in the bar section while armed and eat a burger (not having alcohol), you can while armed, however, sit in the food section and have a beer with a meal (if you choose to do so)...simply stated, do not go armed into any bar...has nothing to do with ANY %.

Stay armed...stay sober...stay safe!

If I see this subject coming up AGAIN...I'm goining directly to the frig for a cold one...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post

Thanks for the links. I assumed the topic was previously discussed and did try a few search engine efforts (none that came up with the relevant threads.) I hope it is not inappropriate to rehash old issues. Just seeing all the new members since I joined (and the totals) is evidence that this is an excellent forum with great people. If it is inappropriate then I will research topics more thoroughly before asking a 'dumb' question.
    This forum and the mods here are very tolerant of repeat threads, particularly after a passage of time.
    But, IMO this one gets heated pretty quickly. People disagree heartily about CC and booze.

Assistant Administrator
    SD - no not inappropriate and it is natural as a question from newer folks. Can't fault you for that.

As 0.02 says - it is a contentious subject and so in some ways one of those old cherries we know so well As I said tho - the opinions from before do pretty much cover the subject - (considerably! )
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I answered in another thread, but I will say... I like the flavor of a good beer with certain foods like steak or gourmet burger... I like the flavor of a good wine with a good expensive Italian meal.

If I am armed, I will only have either one beer or one glass of wine with a certain food because of how the flavors blend together, not because of the alcohol. I don't have a beer with every steak or wine with every veal marsala... well ok, maybe every veal marsala.. but the point is... it's only maybe 4 or 5 times a year, never more than one drink and my attorney who has successfully defended self defense shootings says he has no problem handling one drink on those special occasions.

I don't ever drive if I have had more than one beer or more than one glass of wine in an entire evening and I don't go armed if ever more than one drink in the course of an evening.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't feel anymore comfortable with this mix than I do with drinking and driving.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Let me clarify a bit as I do not want to throw alcohol on a burning fire.

I never intended my primary point to be a whether to carry while under the influence (whatever that may mean morally or legally) question but rather whether to abandon friends because they were going to a place where alcohol was served or temporarily abandoning the weapon for a social situation.
    Last edited by SelfDefense; May 29th, 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links