CCW Insurance? Or Self Defense Insurace

This is a discussion on CCW Insurance? Or Self Defense Insurace within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there such a thing? I'd figure that there is some kind of insurance for nearly every situation in this county. Anyone have any ideas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CCW Insurance? Or Self Defense Insurace

Is there such a thing? I'd figure that there is some kind of insurance for nearly every situation in this county.

Anyone have any ideas or helpful info?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You have no need for insurance. In Texas you (will) have a Castle Doctrine (effective 9/1/2007)
    http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divi...007-03-27.0601

"The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in the above circumstances. "

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodo...l/SB00378I.htm
    "SECTION 4. Section 83.001, Civil Practice and Remedies
    Code, is amended to read as follows:
    Sec. 83.001. AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE. It is an affirmative
    defense to a civil action for damages for personal injury or death
    that the defendant, at the time the cause of action arose, was
    justified in using force or deadly force under Subchapter C "
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Protect ... that doesn't mean you won't end up before a grand jury or even worse in front of a real jury.

The "self-defense" defense is just that, a defense you can use when you're on trial.; you still need a lawyer to present that defense.

And yes there is self defense insurance; I've heard of the NRA endorsing some insurance with like 50,000 in legal fees covered.

Don't think that even a clear cut case of self defense won't end up costing you a lot. It depends heavily on the political leaning of the district attorney. In a civil case, it can depend on the judge. You could be aquitted in criminal court and still have to defend yourself in civil court... killing someone can be expensive.
    Last edited by Yddnac; May 30th, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Pre-paid Legal insurance should do the trick for that.

IANAL, but the SDA Laws in Oklahoma are pretty clear. The Self Defense is asserted at the time of the shooting, not at trial.
    http://www.osbi.state.ok.us/PublicSe...wbook_2006.pdf

F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

G. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.

But I understand that things can and do go wrong with investigations and someone might be arrested for unlawful use of force.
    captjack66 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Question Captjack66

I am surprised to read so many of the folks on this site have admitted they never thought about Self Defence/Liability Ins. Being involved in a shooting incident, justified,right, wrong,or any way does not mean you are not going to be questioned by the Police.And before questioning if you say a word you are NUTS. Why do you think all the big corp. have attorneys on retainer?? All the Castle Doctrines,Stand your Ground laws will not keep you out of Jail if you say the wrong thing, even if you are right. Be prepared check out several but the one I have is: USCCA (Be Safe out there.)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yddnac View Post
    Protect ... that doesn't mean you won't end up before a grand jury or even worse in front of a real jury.

The "self-defense" defense is just that, a defense you can use when you're on trial.; you still need a lawyer to present that defense.

And yes there is self defense insurance; I've heard of the NRA endorsing some insurance with like 50,000 in legal fees covered.

Don't think that even a clear cut case of self defense won't end up costing you a lot. It depends heavily on the political leaning of the district attorney. In a civil case, it can depend on the judge. You could be aquitted in criminal court and still have to defend yourself in civil court... killing someone can be expensive.
    I hear that all the time, and think it is mostly nonsense at least in this part of the country. I can give folks many examples where people around here have either shot, or shot and killed people for anything from burglary or theft of property up to being threatened with deadly force, and it cost them from absolutely nothing, to some very minimal attorney fees. The news articles usually have quotes from the LE agency similar to "it appears Mr/Mrs. X were within their rights to protect their property/themselves"

If it is clearly a justified shoot, you might not be out a dime. You may loose your gun for a few months till the grand jury determines there isn't a case to be prosecuted.

I am not saying that there aren't instances where you might be out lots of attorney fees, but in a clearly justified shoot the chances are extremely minimal where I live.

I think one would be much better served by spending any extra money they have in learning and preparing for those justified situations.
    Anubis and gatorbait51 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    Is there such a thing? I'd figure that there is some kind of insurance for nearly every situation in this county.

Anyone have any ideas or helpful info?
    US Concealed Carry offers something called 'self defense shield' (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/). I haven't researched it and I don't have it, so I can't offer advice on it. Some people on the forum don't like USCC at all. I like their magazine and I plan to research this type of insurance further.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I'm not wasting my money on any insurance.I'm sure the insurance co would love for me to.I've had my ccp for almost 14 yrs now and i'm glad i didn't throw money away.Maybe those in a more anti gun state may feel the need to.Everyone has to figure out what's best for them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The NRA offers a policy to help with legal expenses in the case that a member is involved in a self-defense shooting. They sent out some flyers on this about three weeks ago, and details are available on their web site.

The U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) has for the past four years offered their "Self-Defense Shield" policy for their members. I'm a USCCA member and have this policy, and it's not too bad.

A co-op known as the Armed Citizen Defense League offers coverage and support for their membership. These folks have actually fulfilled some claims, with good results, over the past few years.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I think this type of insurance will not pay if you are charged and found guilty, exactly when you would need it the most. Legitimate insurance, like auto or home-owners, will pay if you are at fault.

Any insurance is a bet. The company bets it won't need to pay you. By not buying such insurance, you can take the company's side of the bet, which is usually the winning side.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ex Member
    gatorbait51 likes this.

There are three schemes currently available. This page provides a comparison.
    Self Defense Insurance Comparison - Misfires And Light Strikes

I'm a member of Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. They provide quite a bit of legal educational material to members.

There's also a podcast which discusses the three types of schemes.
    Episode 184 ? Marty Hayes | Politics and Guns Podcast
    Skip to the 8 minute mark to get the substance of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by pscyclepath View Post
    The NRA offers a policy to help with legal expenses in the case that a member is involved in a self-defense shooting. They sent out some flyers on this about three weeks ago, and details are available on their web site.

The U.S. Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) has for the past four years offered their "Self-Defense Shield" policy for their members. I'm a USCCA member and have this policy, and it's not too bad.

A co-op known as the Armed Citizen Defense League offers coverage and support for their membership. These folks have actually fulfilled some claims, with good results, over the past few years.
    Can anyone provide any real cases of these insurances coming to the aid of some involved in a SD shooting? I hear a lot of talk about it, but haven't seen any actual examples of them benefiting anyone. Until I do, I will be reluctant to buy into any of these insurance plans.
    gatorbait51 and rockinit like this.

I just enrolled in USCCA's insurance, but I would strongly recommend you read all of the details. If the shooting was in SD and was being tried as a civil case you cannot use any lawyer you want, they have a list of lawyers they use in your area. If it is not a civil case you can use the money for any lawyer you please.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Insurance policies are based on statistical data (actuary tables). The likelihood of a civilian being involved in a defensive shooting is somewhere between getting mosquito bit & being struck by lightening. Policy prices are also related to the number of policies over which the insurer can spread their liability & the margin (profit) necessitated by their business plan. IMHO, "CCW Insurance" is like gun-mounted lights were 20-30 years ago. It may be a GREAT idea, but I'm gonna' wait until capitalism can refine the product a little.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links