Condition orange and unarmed tonight - Page 2

Condition orange and unarmed tonight

This is a discussion on Condition orange and unarmed tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; spyderdude, I would say that at 2115 hours there shold be two people in the parking lot. Where I work, if you take out the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Condition orange and unarmed tonight

PM
    spyderdude, I would say that at 2115 hours there shold be two people in the parking lot. Where I work, if you take out the trash oe the are dumping the leftover of hambergers from the traps after dark it is a two person job. One dumps the other watches for bg's and the manager is suppose to be watching from a distance to call PD if needed. We actually had a place about 50-60 miles away that was robbed when they took the trash out after dark and someone was waiting in the trash enclosure. So we are always head on a swivel when we do thing before first light and after dark.

Good to hear you are ok.

I carry a Kelt Tec P3AT in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster at work in spite of the company policy. I'm in agreement with the, "What they don't know won't hurt them" attitude. I'f SHTF an I have to defent myself, I might have the minor inconvenience of being fired, but I WILL be alive to find another job.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
    I carry a Kelt Tec P3AT in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster at work in spite of the company policy. I'm in agreement with the, "What they don't know won't hurt them" attitude. I'f SHTF an I have to defent myself, I might have the minor inconvenience of being fired, but I WILL be alive to find another job.
    +1 on that! Most jobsites that I work on have a no guns policy. I don't carry my primary but my P3AT is always in my front pocket.

I refuse to be a .
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

I'd have to agree with Eddie and Mike.

Hey, that's why they call it concealed carry. No one has to know.

I think in this case you should have enforced the "20 foot" rule. You should have confronted him verbally while he was still 20-30 away.

"I don't have any money. Don't come near me."

If he keeps coming after that, you damn well know you better take off running back to the store and tell your supervisor.

Too many people are afraid of embarrassing themselves "over nothing" by yelling wolf. Lots and lots of women would be alive today if they had taken a chance on embarrassiing themselves instead of patiently waiting for their killer to get closer.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    peacefuljeffrey beat me to my post lol ( and likely more articulate than i would have posted also ) . We all from time to time get faced with moral delemas in jobs and guns , for instance i just went " back " to work for a construction company on the weekends , My company has NO policy on ccw , or firearms possession . We work a lot of state jobsites and the state has a no guns policy onsite . Now since i sold the owner of the company's son his first rifle , and in fact taught him how to shoot a handgun ( he has grown up and has his own affiliated company now ) the company is well aware of me and my firearm views . To split hairs here i am " Unofficaly " aware that i may be in violation of a state policy ( not a law a policy ) by carrying on the job . My company has not made me aware of any issue here , and in fact the company owner on occation has asked me if i am armed , and said good whan i replied that i was . Where i work now is traffic control ( flagging ) and we do deal with a bit of " road rage " with our personel. It should be noted that in years of off and on construction experiance i have never needed a gun for anything more serious than a rattle snake , but some 20 years or so ago a Texas DPS patrolman buddy in the panhandle was killed by an idiot over as near as we can tell construction road rage .

If the boss says dont carry well then i guess i wont work for her , She howeaver understands tho she wont codify it in writing .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I agree with the others about carrying at work. I do security and it is against company policy, however as soon as I get my CCW I'll be carrying. Theres no sense in risking your life for a job. Jobs keep you alive, but if you're not alive to have a job, the point is moot anyway.

Ryan and all :

Before any one takes my post as supporting carry in spite of a company policy i do not support that . I grant you i am splitting hairs , but for me they are important hairs . Should my employer choose to have a company policy of no guns , i would not work for them , it really is that simple . I understand that the state has this policy on some of thier contracted sites , but MY employer has no such policy If the state has an issue , well half of the CDOT employees in our area will loose about half the ground they hunt on down here thro me and my friends , ect.. what goes around comes around . Its kinda like the .mil's disfunctional policy on sexual orientation down here , dont ask , dont tell , and if you see anything STFU lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    As a college student, it is very hard for me not to work this job, because it pays so well, at $11.00 an hour starting. My previous job which was Mcdonalds, I would carry on the job, because it was such a crappy job, that I really didn't care if I got fired if they were to discover that I had a gun on me. They never found out though. I can understand that a job can be replaced ,but where I live, the job market is horrible. You either have to have experience, or you have to know someone who will hook you up with a job. I doubt I would be able to find another job that pays just as well as Costco, so I'm just gonna have to deal with company policy. Maybe I should consider getting a lightweight snubnose 38, and the SmartCarry holster system.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Agreed PJ...I'd bet that bat is there as his own means of defense against those who prey on the homeless from their own to bored teen kids who are known to beat on, rob, maim, and even murder for fun homeless persons.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Redneck,

You might as an alternative intermediate solution look into this to carry openly while on the job at sites...

Columbia River Knife & Tool has a long history of producing unusual production knives based on the custom models of leading knifemakers. But when Pat and Wes Crawford showed us their custom Crawford Plier Knife, we were so surprised that we quickly agreed to make a production version, the CRKT Crawford P.K.

It is a hefty fixed blade with a wide split handle coated with red PVC that resembles a pair of electrical pliers. We forge it from a single piece of 420J2 stainless steel that is 0.124” thick, resulting in the toughest work knife we can imagine. The modified drop point blade is broad and only 3.25” long, resulting in an exceptionally strong blade for rugged tasks.

The width of the plier-style handles, with finger choils, gives excellent control of the knife, and is ideal for those with large hands.

A leather sheath completes the package, designed to look right at home on tool belts.

This is not a delicate display knife. What you see is what you get: a man-sized knife ready to cut wood, rope, wire, carpet or sheetrock and hold an edge. It is remarkably low priced for a quality tool. So quit staring and get to work.

Crawford P.K.

2009: Razor-Sharp Cutting Edge
    Blade: Overall length: 3.25” (8.3 cm)
    Thickness: 0.124” (0.31 cm)
    Steel: 420J2, 54-55 HRC
    Knife: Overall length: 8.625” (21.9 cm)
    Weight: 7.9 oz. (224 g)
    MSRP: $39.99
    Buy now from A.G. Russell | | Country Knives

Sheath: (Included with knife)
    Material: Leather
    Overall length: 8.75” (22.2 cm)
    Weight: 2.7 oz. (77 g)

Source - http://www.crkt.com/crawfdpk.html
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq thanks for the thought , but i have a lot of " less than lethal weapon choices in the back of the pickup i drive on site . I also have " straight stick " training to use about anything . suffice it to say i wont reach for a knife given a choice , i want and can have more standoff when i show up to solve a problem . ( that is basicly what i do for the company is fix problems , be they traffic flow or a motorist that has an issue with a flagger or the wait .. i float on site and get involved where needed . Mostly i work with construction workers and equipment operaters educating them how to safely work where traffic lines are a fact of life .. but i do get called into the ends where folks are upset about the delay .

While I agree the bat could have been simply for self-defense....

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I don't know if it's fair to just assume that the presence of his bat meant that if he'd had the opportunity he would have robbed/beaten you with it. What about applying the same principle to him that WE want applied to US: that he may be carrying the bat defensively so that he has a fighting chance against whoever might mess with him?

Would it suit you if anyone could somehow know that you're carrying a concealed handgun, and then regard you as the guy who would surely have shot and killed them but for the fact that you were both in a very public place with lots of witnesses around? Of course you wouldn't like that; we don't like what the anti-gunners imply about our motives, and how they think we're just dangerous violent people.

Now, I wasn't there, and didn't observe the guy's demeanor, body language, etc. Maybe you're right and he was indeed a threat that just didn't have a good chance to materialize. But maybe he was just another person who wanted to be able to defend himself if the need arose.

edit: I forgot to ask about why you continue to work at a place that won't allow you to carry a defensive weapon for your own safety. I know that many of us work at such places. Some decide, based on the notion that no one would ever know unless the gun had to be used to save a life, to carry despite the rules.
    I am not as trusting as peacefulljeffrey is. Unfortunately a large percentage of homeless folks have substance abuse and/or mental illness problems. I have seen what appeared to be a harmless person come completely unglued when their request was refused. I try not to let them get too close to me for that reason. By the way, I am not heartless. I pay my taxes that pay for a lot of social programs, and I contribute to charities that help the homeless. I just don't want most of them within reach when I am out an about.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Bear in mind that a lot of these street people would have been in a state mental facility had they been around 40 years ago. Many are paranoid schizophrenics who have gone off their meds and are hearing voices in their head telling them what to do and who is scheming against them. 40 years ago, they would have all been locked up. All we had to deal with then were the winos and stumblebums whose only goal in life was to get another jug of MD 20/20. Those guys were fairly harmless.

No job is worth getting killed or crippled up over. You can always get another job. New lives are in pretty short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Looks like it came out OK for you.

I don't blame the homeless guy for carrying the bat, a lot are targeted for beatings and murder
    True enough...poor mans .45...the bat. Can't fault him, disturbed or not. The street is a dangerous jungle, especially when there are no doors or windows to lock.

That said, if he grips it and is coming at me...it's a full count strike out.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links