In Indiana it's NOT a concealed permit...

This is a discussion on In Indiana it's NOT a concealed permit... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If memory serves me correctly, the permit to carry in Indiana is not a concealed carry permit, but a CARRY permit, period. Doesn't matter if ...

Thread: In Indiana it's NOT a concealed permit...

In Indiana it's NOT a concealed permit...

If memory serves me correctly, the permit to carry in Indiana is not a concealed carry permit, but a CARRY permit, period. Doesn't matter if it's concealed or not, you need a permit to carry. I recall when I lived in Indiana, sometimes I'd see a guy with a gun who was NOT in uniform walking with a gun on his hip. No one ever stopped him, no one called the police, he just went about his business and that was that.

I remeber too, my mother had a permit. I always thought that was "neat." Of course this was late 60's, or early 70's. And my mother carried a Iver Johnson revolver in .32 S&W Long. When I first saw that pistol, it looked big to me. Then again, I was about 12 or so. Last time I saw it, I was 24, and it wasn't so big anymore.

Anyone in here still living in Indiana? I really miss living in Marion. Oh well.

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I miss IN, too (moved out here in '88).

HCL in Tennessee

This is also true of the permit in Tennessee. It is not a concealed carry permit but a general pistol carry permit. Since the method of carry is not stipulated than one can carry anyway they wish although LE recommends that you carry concealed so one does not spook the sheeple.
    Tennessee - the firearms Mecca of the South.

Indiana has two different permits. 1 is for Personal Protection(ccw) 2 is a hunting permit to be used for hunting and range only. Thats to the best of my knowedge. Open carry is legal here but be ready to see a LEO because someone is bound to call them if they see it. I have taken off my jacket when at a few restarants with my OWB on and only had something said once and that was someone wanted to know what I was carrying.

Al Lowe-

Yuns is what we-uns in south central Indiana calls flat landers....In the Bloomington, Nashville, French Lick region we-uns all growed up with one leg longer than the other for walking on the sides of ridges, hence the name "Ridge Runners".

I do miss my southern Indiana home, once I'm able to retire I-ma heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by TonySoprano
    Indiana has two different permits. 1 is for Personal Protection(ccw) 2 is a hunting permit to be used for hunting and range only. Thats to the best of my knowedge. Open carry is legal here but be ready to see a LEO because someone is bound to call them if they see it. I have taken off my jacket when at a few restarants with my OWB on and only had something said once and that was someone wanted to know what I was carrying.
    That used to be the case, but now I'm told if you apply for a permit, it's almost automatically a Personal Protection permit. And the PP is not a concealed carry permit, but a carry permit. You used to have to write a letter detailing why you wanted one. Not anymore. And open carry is legal ONLY with the permit. And don't try open carrying in town unless you have the PP type.

Quote Originally Posted by F350
    Al Lowe-

Yuns is what we-uns in south central Indiana calls flat landers....In the Bloomington, Nashville, French Lick region we-uns all growed up with one leg longer than the other for walking on the sides of ridges, hence the name "Ridge Runners".

I do miss my southern Indiana home, once I'm able to retire I-ma heading home.
    There ain't no flat land where I'm at here in Michigan, I can tell you that!
    Last edited by Al Lowe; April 18th, 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Anyone in here still living in Indiana? I really miss living in Marion. Oh well.
    ~SINGING~ (off key) "Indiana WANTS meeee LAWD I can't go back there...."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well got my license out, and here is what it says:
    LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN
    STATE OF INDIANA

The Licensee is hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Well got my license out, and here is what it says:
    LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN
    STATE OF INDIANA

The Licensee is hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle, any handgun lawfully possessed by Licensee.
    That's kinda what I thought. They used to put all sorts of restrictions on there, but I'm pretty sure they stopped that practice.

The only restriction on the license is the same one that has been there since my first license in 1970. Not Valid on Commercial Aircraft

Lawfully possessed used to read 'registered', but was changed in the late 70s if memory serves.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Links