New Arizona Gun Law

New Arizona Gun Law

This is a discussion on New Arizona Gun Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SB 1221 has passed the Arizona House and Senate and now awaits the governor's signature. It mandates operators of public businesses or events that post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Arizona Gun Law

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

New Arizona Gun Law

SB 1221 has passed the Arizona House and Senate and now awaits the governor's signature.

It mandates operators of public businesses or events that post 'No Firearms' to provide secure containers on the premises for storage. This is a good law, although a small step.

I expect Napolitano to veto the bill with insufficient votes to override. Still, it demonstrates our legislators are concerned with 2A rights and that they must not be infringed.

VIP Member
    At least it's moving in the right direction!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Wow that sound promising.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    SB 1221 has passed the Arizona House and Senate and now awaits the governor's signature.

It mandates operators of public businesses or events that post 'No Firearms' to provide secure containers on the premises for storage. This is a good law, although a small step.

I expect Napolitano to veto the bill with insufficient votes to override. Still, it demonstrates our legislators are concerned with 2A rights and that they must not be infringed.
    I dunno...I'm more for more lax gun laws than probably anyone on this board...some have said I tend to border on anarchy...but I don't agree with that type of law. First, what makes a business public? Does the public own it, hold a stake in it, work it night and day? Second, if the public doesn't own it, which it can't, do you really feel the need to use the law to "Strong-arm" a PRIVATE individual into doing what you want in HIS/HER business? Not I. I just choose not to frequent those establishments. They just don't get my $. You have the right to not patron someone elses business. You don't have the right IMO to use the government to force someone to do or not do something with their own business and/or property.

You could use the same concept and flip it this way and see if you like it: Say someone comes to visit you in your home...do you want them to be able to have the full force and effect of the Government telling you that since said visitor doesn't like your guns, that you must put your guns away when they come to visit IN YOUR HOME? Remember now, that they have a choice...to not come visit you, just as you have a choice to tell them to leave your property.

...Just my $1.00-.98c
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Self Defense,
    Unless this is a proposed change to already existing statute, this law is already in effect.
    It is covered in section 13-3102.01.A in the AZ Crimes Code (Misconduct Involving Weapons, and Storage of deadly Weapons) which can be viewed on-line at www.azleg.state.az.us
    It requires a storage facility if carry is prohibited, but defines a "Public Place" as any property "owned,leased,or operated by this state or a political subdivision of this state". In other words, any state building such as the Tax building.
    Maybe the bill you're citing broadens the definition??
    The Bill SB1221 you cited is listed as Residential Mortgage Fraud on the AZ State website. Bill SB1202 is listed as Misconduct Involving Weapons but there are no specfics as to what it is about; it only shows dates it was voted on and percentage of votes.
    Last edited by Mark Garrity; May 30th, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I work in a goverment building, and I can't even have my EDC in the parking lot. This law would give me a secure place to lock it up instead of my console. (parked on the street!)
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Self Defense,
    Unless this is a proposed change to already existing statute, this law is already in effect.
    It is covered in section 13-3102.01.A in the AZ Crimes Code (Misconduct Involving Weapons, and Storage of deadly Weapons) which can be viewed on-line at www.azleg.state.az.us
    It requires a storage facility if carry is prohibited, but defines a "Public Place" as any property "owned,leased,or operated by this state or a political subdivision of this state". In other words, any state building such as the Tax building.
    The Bill SB1221 you cited is listed as Residential Mortgage Fraud on the AZ State website. Bill SB1202 is listed as Misconduct Involving Weapons but there are no specfics as to what it is about; it only shows dates it was voted on and percentage of votes.
    Sorry about the typo. It is SB1251.

I am not sure what the difference is between this legislation and the current ARS you cited. From the excerpts you quoted it seems this current bill applies to private business that allows public access.

This bill forces private business owners open to the public to do this. While I am all for the right to protect myself everywhere I go, I am all against government regulating what private citizens do with their businesses. However they already do it with wages, EEO, and other crap laws.

I like the good ole if you got a sign I don't give you my money strategy instead of more government control.

Ah hell, you guys/gals in AZ got it good.

Kudos from a 10rd county!

Less bullets = less crime ya know
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    While this may sound good, I don't necessarily agree with a law that says every business open to the general public that prohibits the carrying of arms,must go through the trouble of creating a secure area where people can store their guns safely while conducting business within that establishment. I know if I was a business owner, and I didn't want people bringing guns into my business, I feel it would be up to the person carrying the gun to safely store their gun in their vehicle. Think about it, if a robber comes into a business that prohibits firearms, people still wouldn't have immediate access to their guns, they would have to retrieve them from the containers in which they're stored, which may be a safe, or a lock box in which the business owner has the key or combination number to.

But who am to say such a thing. I don't live in Arizona, but the way I've interpreted that law, that's my response to it. I guess it could work if the establishment created something like Post Office Boxes. Rows of small lock boxes where people can store their guns, and they would get a key from the business owner, and return the key upon leaving.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Self Defense,
    If it defines it as property owned by the state then I can go with it, as long as it doesn't affect individual business/property owners.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    While this may sound good, I don't necessarily agree with a law that says every business open to the general public that prohibits the carrying of arms,must go through the trouble of creating a secure area where people can store their guns safely while conducting business within that establishment. I know if I was a business owner, and I didn't want people bringing guns into my business, I feel it would be up to the person carrying the gun to safely store their gun in their vehicle. Think about it, if a robber comes into a business that prohibits firearms, people still wouldn't have immediate access to their guns, they would have to retrieve them from the containers in which they're stored, which may be a safe, or a lock box in which the business owner has the key or combination number to.

But who am to say such a thing. I don't live in Arizona, but the way I've interpreted that law, that's my response to it. I guess it could work if the establishment created something like Post Office Boxes. Rows of small lock boxes where people can store their guns, and they would get a key from the business owner, and return the key upon leaving.

Hmm, that's an interesting take...

Your example of a robber doesn't fit the purpose of this law, therefore, it's invalid in this case.

Leaving a gun in a car just isn't a good idea period. Our legislators in Arizona seem to recognize this fact, based partially on this law.

A business owner's right to refuse a gun owner's right to carry when it's pefectly legal to otherwise do so in our State/society?

Which right is more important?

I believe when the rights of one prohibit the rights of another, the party exercising that right Inherit the burden of responsibility to acommodate.

Remember, these are business owners in a state where it is LEGAL to open carry, and conceal carry with permit. If they feel that strongly about citizens possessing a firearm in their business, then they should exercise their right to relocate to another state that has laws more in line with their beliefs.

Personally, I would only do business with these companies out of SHEER necessity, and avoid them like a Plague otherwise.

Your post office box idea is pretty much what they have in mind.

This will be relatively inexpensive for business owners to comply with, when you compare costs for ADA compliance, for example, the cost will be almost negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    If it defines it as property owned by the state then I can go with it, as long as it doesn't affect individual business/property owners.
    As previously stated in this thread by Mike Garrity, a law is already in effect for State property.

Gun owners get more rights while business owners lose rights. That is not a good law.

Here is an explanation I received from an AzCDL e-mail:

SB 1251 strengthens the "public establishment or event" storage requirements that were passed last year. It defines "secure storage" and "readily accessible." It prohibits permanently recording information about the weapon or individual. If an "operator" doesn't comply, they can't prohibit weapons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links