Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications - Page 2

Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications

This is a discussion on Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Juggernaut NoVa should be renamed "Maryland Annex", it's like a different state from the rest of the Commonwealth what with how the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    NoVa should be renamed "Maryland Annex", it's like a different state from the rest of the Commonwealth what with how the administration works up there.
    We live in Loudoun County and they were about 3 weeks getting my permit to me. My wife applied on 5/22 we'll see how long it is in coming.
    I agree that it's not a gun friendly setting here in NoVA to some extent. Where we live there is a serious problem with Hispanic gangs, I'm not going fool around if trouble comes visiting. People who think nothing can happen to them or theirs are simply living in a fantasy world. If I'm around I'd help them in spite of their ignorance.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    This disturbing story about one county in Virginia that seems inclined to erect barriers to CCW issuance illustrates the danger of allowing local governments to handle this function.
    I disagree. Virginia is set up just like Ohio. Ohio Sheriffs handle the application and licensing process but the State General Assembly dictates the what, how, when, and why. Woe be on to any Sheriff that deviates or tries to make up their process. There are plenty of citizens and grassroots organizations that will legally make them toe the line.

Outside some very minor administrative issues (office hours, you bring your photo or they take it for you, etc), Sheriffs in Ohio have no discretion on how to issue or why to issue concealed handgun licenses.

And we are just about to improve our concealed handgun laws one more time with House Bill 225.

Another good thing about local issuance in Ohio is that our law allows us to go "county shopping". You can apply for your CHL in either your county of residence or in any county adjacent to it. There is a website OhioCCWhen.org where CHL applicants report how long it took them to obtain their license from a particular county. Based on reports there, I decided to apply for my CHL in Champaign county even though I live in Miami county. I dropped off my application on a Tuesday and picked up my license that Friday. If we had to go to a central authority, that flexibility would be lost.
    Last edited by Smith&Wessonfan; June 2nd, 2007 at 12:40 PM.

I am glad I didn't end up applying in Fairfax County. That would have sucked :( Hopefully, Montgomery County will have done well before 45 days. I think its been 16 days so far. Is it 45 business days? or 45 DAYS?

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    The answer was simple. Our state organization (MCRGO) sued the county sheriff and the county clerk.
    I was hoping to find the above suggestion as I read through the posts. The law suit is the way to go if you have the guts to even do it pro se. Perhaps you can find a legal coach to show you how to do it. Even better, if you can find others who are experiencing the same dilemma, a class action suit would light a fire under the anti-gun officials. Sue them and ask the court for a judgement "with prejudice" and if awarded, the opposition will have to pay all your costs (which should be minimal if you go pro se). These people need to be taught a lesson which voting them out of office really fails to teach.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Sorry double post

Anyone heard anything more on this?

VIP Member
    Sounds like here, after all is said and done; however, 30 days later they call you and say come get your permit.

VIP Member
    Actually in VA the Clerk of the Court for your county circuit court issues the permits. The sheriff typically provides the application (although you can download it or get it from the clerk's office in most counties) and does get some of the fee because they do the background check, and depending on the county, fingerprints. You turn it all in to the Clerk of the Court and the Clerk signs off on it. Also in VA the clerk is required to return a date stamped copy of your application that becomes your permit, if they cannot complete the permit in the 45 days. That is good for 90 days. In my county of application is seemed like they were all in the same office because you just went through a door from the sheriff's office to the clerks office.

The only thing on the message they really need to change is the part about "physical fitness...as well as your need to carry a weapon". The rest is not great or the preferred wording, but I don't think it rises to the level of a legal challenge.

As for taking almost 44 days, the law allows them 45 days to issue. Some counties will take exactly that long, as Fairfax does, even though they don't "need" to take that long. Unfortunately unless they go over the 45 day limit there isn't much you can do except complain to the folks in the office or to the Clerk of the Court or possibly the judge.

Has anyone contacted the town and or county about the recording and received a response?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I emailed the VCDL and told them what was going on. They just sent me an email and said

Except for the fact that they call it a Concealed Weapons Permit
    instead
    of a Concealed Handgun Permit. I informed them of the difference.

> Actually what they have now won't need to be changed again ever.
    >
    > At 2:07 PM -0400 6/7/07, John Pierce wrote:
    >
    >> I emailed my concerns to IT Manager Floyd Bailey. I received a
    >> return receipt on his email but no correspondence. However, as of
    >> today, the topic 2104 now says only:
    >>
    >> In order to obtain a concealed weapons permit you must
    >> contact the Washington County Sheriff's Office by calling them at
    >> (276) 676-6000.
    >>
    >> So they seem to have corrected the issue. I offered in the email to
    >> provide them with updated verbiage, but it appears they simply
    punted
    >> on the whole topic.
    >> I will write the new verbiage and send it on anyway in case they
    >> might decide to use it.
    >>
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >>
    >>> I've got a call into Sofia Rosenbaum (276-628-3169) - she's
    supposed
    >>> to be the correct contact.
    >>>
    >>> At 4:15 PM -0400 6/5/07, John Pierce wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I live in Washington County and teach the classes here and I can
    >>>> assure you that we DO NOT do fingerprinting here, nor do we do any
    >>>> out of the ordinary background checks.
    >>>>
    >>>> I believe that someone who recorded the message messed up big
    time.
    >>>>
    >>>> Philip, who did you talk to at the sheriffs office? Let me know
    >>>> what you hear back and if you want me to get involved. Thanks!
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> John Pierce
    >>>> VCDL Webmaster

It seems that maybe the VCDL got them to change their tune

VIP Member
    Sounds like it. Although the VCDL is really us, the members. Normally it is a local member who makes the contacts and does the work to get things changed. Sometimes Phil asks for the help of all members to contact a recalcitrant government official or office. A lot of times these are spearheaded by the local EM (Executive Member). I'm fortunate in NoVA we have several EMs. I don't have the time to spearhead things, but will write and make calls when necessary. Good on John to get in touch with them and get the message changed.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Great Work Guys!
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

Loudoun County 3 weeks and 1 day for my wife to get hers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links