Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications

This is a discussion on Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Abingdon Virginia recently built a telephone IVR for public service recordings (276-619-0924), Upon listening to the recording for "Concealed Weapon Permits" (extension: 2104) Transcript Verbatim ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local VA Town Subverting CHP Applications

Abingdon Virginia recently built a telephone IVR for public service recordings (276-619-0924), Upon listening to the recording for "Concealed Weapon Permits" (extension: 2104)

Transcript Verbatim Below:

“In order to obtain a concealed weapons permit you must obtain and complete the proper application from the Washington County’s Sheriff’s Office. Upon application you must present a valid picture ID such as a Driver’s License, Military ID, or Passport. Give a fingerprint sample and include the processing fee. This fee is non refundable regardless as to whether your application is approved or denied. The Sheriff’s Office conducts a detailed investigation to determine your moral and physical fitness, mental history, criminal record, and general background as well as your need to carry a weapon. The department will notify you when final status has been reached on your application. For more information or to apply for a permit contact the Washington County’s Sheriff’s Office, by calling them at area code two seven six six seven six six zero zero zero.”

Fingerprint requirement in Washinton County?
    Determination of Moral Fitness?
    Determine your need to have a concealed carry permit?

This is some serious BS and some of the best anti-propaganda I have ever seen personally.

This information has been forwarded to the VCDL please feel free to call the number and hear for yourself... Remember this is Virginia, a shall issue state!!

I've also recorded it just in case they take it down and deny it... ;)
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/2082698ec557ed/]wcchp.wav - 1.13MB
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kf4uel; May 30th, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add link to audio

Sounds like the state's attorney general needs to get involved as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsjr View Post
    Sounds like the state's attorney general needs to get involved as well.
    More than that. A call to the VCDL was a good step. Make sure you call your state representatives/senators, the governor, and everyone else that you can think of.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Re:

Yeah I was about to reply to the other VA post today about permit turn around times..... it was almost 44 days for me.... seems like they do all they can to discourage them....when other counties turn them around in a week...

1943 - 2009
    Determination of Moral Fitness?
    Determine your need to have a concealed carry permit?
    That runs counter to the very idea of "shall issue". Is there something about those two words that the city officials don't understand?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Code Of Virginia § 15.2-915, which is the Virginia state preemption of illegal, null and void subversion of the state's firearms laws, either via law, policy or administrative action of any kind:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.
    Whatever you want to call it ... Subverting state law. Crimes against the Virginia State Constitution. Thwarting the intent of the People. Sidestepping the spirit of Virginians' restrictions on power-grabbers who specifically put people's lives at risk by their actions. Callous disregard for the safety and security of the people of Virginia.

Where does it stop? It stops when such people are stripped of their power and forced to leave their positions of power, jailed for their crimes against the People. On that day, it stops. Of course, on that day, some new dweebe gets the seat and needs to learn just how hot it can be when fouling the will of the People.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As a Virginia citizen I will make my voice heard on this as well. Its bad enough that some counties feel the need to run all the way out to the 45 day limit. Sorry but I highly doubt there are so many CCW applications that there is a pile 24 hours a day and it takes that long. I know damn well they can process those files and have your permit back to you in 2 weeks.

Funny how this county thinks they can regulate who gets a permit when we are Shall Issue. If this was MD it would make perfect sense, but VA not while the VCDL is here.

I also find it hilarious that Fairfax county continues to try and ban firearms from public places. Funny, how many times are they going to try before a law needs to be passed that says they cannot?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Interesting. I know an Abingdon deputy.

One of my old friends sister married one from college. I would get VCDL invovled. I've stayed in Abingdon a few times, very small town. I think last time I talked to Abingdon deputy he said they had 26 Deputies. There very underpaid and I would seriously doubt they would want to even attempt to fight this in court. I have a feeling 1 threat of a law suit and Richard Gardiner from VCDL and "POOF" it will go away. Other wise they may get cut down to 15 deputies and then have to vote in a new Sherrif because of the all the money the city might loose.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    More than that. A call to the VCDL was a good step. Make sure you call your state representatives/senators, the governor, and everyone else that you can think of.
    Sounds like he moved to Oklahoma doesn't it E4?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

RE:

Bump, This needs annother days attention....I posted to some other forums and they are unfortunately, downplaying it.... :(

Gun-owner apathy is the anti's best weapon against the armed.
    Fairfax county specifically takes the 45 day period to get a permit to you as well.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

It's this type of suppressive (I know better than you) government activity that makes me proud to be a member of VCDL. Get'em Phillip.

Argument for statewide CCW issuance

This disturbing story about one county in Virginia that seems inclined to erect barriers to CCW issuance illustrates the danger of allowing local governments to handle this function. Things seem to work better when a state has one agency in the state government that handles the task for the entire state.

I have permits from Florida, Arizona and Utah, and each state has a central agency to handle all CCW issuance for the state. The rules and procedures are uniform for all citizens of the state, regardless of where they live. This seems like a far better approach than letting local bureaucrats play games with this.

NoVa should be renamed "Maryland Annex", it's like a different state from the rest of the Commonwealth what with how the administration works up there.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

We had much the same problem in our county for awhile. The answer was simple. Our state organization (MCRGO) sued the county sheriff and the county clerk. We have a state preemption law that prohibits anyone but the state from making any firearms law or regulation. It only took 24 hours for these people to enter into a consent decree to abide by state law. The latest is that the state has prohibited local police departments from setting restrictive hours for handling firearms permits and registration. They have to be open all day, every normal business day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links