Overreaction or Not? That is the question.

This is a discussion on Overreaction or Not? That is the question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Agree...well done. I have also had some volatile experiences with the homeless...sadly many are not only homeless, but socially and emotionally unbalanced. So, behavior we ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overreaction or Not? That is the question.

Agree...well done.

I have also had some volatile experiences with the homeless...sadly many are not only homeless, but socially and emotionally unbalanced. So, behavior we might "expect" of anyone else often does not apply in dealing with these folks.

Often what might start as a rambling rant can easily spike to an unreasonable deadly situation. Add alcohol...wow!

Be prepared...and smile.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You did good.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Why were you without a firearm?

So you didn't want the homeless, ranting, bottle-throwing nut-job in the same restaurant as your family??? Gosh, let me think on that for a while.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Why were you without a firearm?
    I was out of my home state, and I'm still waiting for my SC CWP to arrive in the mail. As soon as I get it, I'm sending in my NH non-res application so I can carry in Georgia.

If the new reciprocity legislation passes the SC legislature and our gun-loving gov. signs it, that won't be an issue anymore. (I'm not too confident it will pass).
    NRA Certified Instructor

Primary carry guns: Glock 23, SA Loaded Custom LW Micro .45, S&W Model 10

If those don't work: BM/DPMS CAR-15 custom, Rem. 11-87 3.5-inch

I think you performed very well. You prevented this person from entering and possibly causing more severe problems. I hate to sound like a chauvinist pig. But I think most women will react this way. She was probably afraid for your safety. With someone who is drunk and angry like that, a show of force is the only thing that will work. When reason goes out the window, Good job.

I keep saying that a cell phone at times is more useful than a gun. I would have called the police and told them a drunken mad man was in the restaurant and threatening myself, my wife and my children. Put up with his language until the cops get there.

However, that said, I think you showed horrible judgment in taking your family to such an area.

I have a simple rule for myself regarding carrying. I don't go anywhere carrying that I wouldn't go if I weren't carrying. There are only certain extreme exceptions to that rule.

You're luck you're alive. The guy could have been a real punk and carrying iron. Interjecting yourself into a non violent situation can raise that situation to the level of a violent one.

I hope that I would do as well as you did in this case.

Somebody probably should have been calling the police, but a lot can happen in the time it takes them to get there.

Welcome!

From your explanation, I'd say your reaction was fine. Good job.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    As far as I'm concerned you screwed up. I keep saying that a cell phone at times is more useful than a gun. I would have called the police and told them a drunken mad man was in the restaurant and threatening myself, my wife and my children. Put up with his language until the cops get there.

However, that said, I think you showed horrible judgment in taking your family to such an area.

I have a simple rule for myself regarding carrying. I don't go anywhere carrying that I wouldn't go if I weren't carrying. There are only certain extreme exceptions to that rule.

You're luck you're alive. The guy could have been a real punk and carrying iron. Interjecting yourself into a non violent situation can raise that situation to the level of a violent one.
    I have to disagree on this one. SubMOA only intervened when the drunk started for the door. I would have done the same in that situation.

If any S was going to HTF, I will damn well make sure that the action takes place as far from my family as possible.

I would gladly risk an escalation at the door rather than wait until he gets to the table where my family is sitting.

I can see the point about the risk of going to a real crappy neighborhood to patronize a really good restaurant, but something also sits wrong with me on the idea that good people have to avoid legal activities because the trash of this world has taken over.

Maybe we should think more about taking it back.

By the way, SubMOA, welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you done good!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post

I take extra care when carrying, (which is basically always), to avoid these kinds of places and these types of scenarios. The last thing I need is to be dealing with a beligerant drunk in a seedy part of town while armed. Think of the worst case possibilities.

DC Founder
    I think you did very well in handling the situation. I also tend to think like PaulG that going to a somewhat crappy neighborhood to eat at a longtime restaurant is not something that we should avoid at all costs. If I avoided these areas, I would not be working where I am and would not do a whole lot outside of our immediate area. While I agree you should avoid known dangerous areas, "seedy" areas are not necessarily dangerous areas....

Welcome to the forum!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Tough call dude..You should have called an attorney to see if you were going to be sued for a civil rights violation before you do these types of things to "an abode deprived" individual. You never know my friend...;)
    BTW, I would have and have done the same thing, just me. Welcome aboard.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

You did a great job...

Re: your wife, +1 SIXTO--you can't reason with a drunk.

I fear you will have the same problem in the future, unless you talk to her about your carrying and what she should and should NOT do. In situations like this, she should be focusing her attention on moving the kids out of harms way--NOT yelling at you as she is another distraction and IS NOT helping the situation.

My wife and I have come to this conclusion after we experienced a similiar situation. When it was all said and done and we were on our way home, I explained how the world worked--and in that kind of situation, absent of any LEO, I will handle the situation accordingly. Her responsibility is to get the kids to a safe(r) place and watch my back.

It wasn't a pleasant conversation, but one that needed to be had.

You need to have a similiar one with your wife.

I also recommend getting some additional training to help you with this, build up your toolbox, and have this discussion with your wife.

I will also add making a phone call to the police...

I think you had to get involved to keep the drunk away from your table. Several years ago, before I carried, I was in a respectable restaurant, in a respectable business district, with my wife and several friends, all middle aged couple like us. A drunk came in and started yelling at the bartender about some late rent. Apparently they had been roomates until the drunk had been thrown out for nonpayment. The drunk started throwing punches and it quickly devolved into a wrestling match on the floor. I didn't want to get involved, but neither did I want those two to come crashing into my group, so I simply got up and placed myself between my party and the two fighters. The sober bartender quickly got the upper hand and threw the guy out, so I didn't need to assist. I probably would have lent him a hand if he had needed it. My wife felt a lot safer with me between her and the fight and thanked me for getting involved.

That was one of three incidents that got me thinking of arming myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links