Hat carry???

This is a discussion on Hat carry??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coupla years back I bought a handsome stetson in TX - don't wear it a whole lot but got to thinkin' - LOT of space ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hat carry???

Assistant Administrator

Hat carry???

Coupla years back I bought a handsome stetson in TX - don't wear it a whole lot but got to thinkin' - LOT of space inside that thing!

So - anyone followed this route ever? I'd say with a suitable holstering device within, I could accomodate a KelTec P3AT or my R9, tho naturally, hardly the quickest access time! It would tho be an option if clothing was otherwise so skimpy as to have nowhere else to use!

Crazy (probably) ..... but possible? I think it'd work.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Talking

Well, that's a good one....sounds like somethin a gambler would do...I used to watch Maverick too....well 2 things ya need to consider....first is really windy days...and the other is the ladies....ya gotta tip your hat to the ladies ya know. LOL !!

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - yeah but ''tipping the hat'' - naturally - needs in fact only a touch on the brim and a small lift .... not enough to show ''contents'' (or my bald head LOL).

Oops - forget the ''wind factor'' . well, this stetson is so darned stiff in the sweat band - if shoved down it can both give me a headache and - stay locked in place!
    Chris - P95

Administrator

P95Carry

You Said:
    "LOT of space inside that thing!"
    Yep...LOTS and LOTS of empty space up there all right. :smashfrea

Actually, I think there were quite a few old patents that featured various projectile firing mechanisms built right into hats. I wonder what the recoil did?

Maybe we will get Gary Brommeland to design a ITH holster.

I used to have some uuuummmm "clients" who would routinely sew old fashioned razor blades into the rear of their baseball "gangbanger" caps so they can just sort of fan troubles away. Troubles being rival gang members or even the police. If they wave their caps in your face, you'll look like it (your face) was run thru a shredder.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Oops - forget the ''wind factor'' . well, this stetson is so darned stiff in the sweat band - if shoved down it can both give me a headache and - stay locked in place!
    If you carried a full sized gun, the wind wouldn't be a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I used to have some uuuummmm "clients" who would routinely sew old fashioned razor blades into the rear of their baseball "gangbanger" caps so they can just sort of fan troubles away. Troubles being rival gang members or even the police. If they wave their caps in your face, you'll look like it (your face) was run thru a shredder.
    Those guys would be easy to spot by the bald spot on the side of their heads (with razor in rear of hat). Now I am really gonna be watching people.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

as a bouncer living in the Miami area years ago LEO's gave us a heads up that some of our patrons had been cought with little .25 and .32s in their caps and that we shoudl make that a part of our searches.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

VIP Member

Your question jogged my memory...

to an old book I have named "America-The Men and Their Guns That Made Her Great". One of the stories deals with a New Mexican gunfighter named Elfego Baca. Seems he met up with Billie the Kid in Albuquerque:

"Elfego and Billy proceeded to Old Town, where the saloons were located. Elfego remembers that Billy "carried a little pistol called a Bulldog Repeater, when it fired it made a strange noise perhaps louder than a .45 gun". They went into the Martinez Saloon, and in the midst of the crowded gambling hall, Billy fired three rounds into the ceiling. They were promptly searched by a bouncer who was a little hot under the collar, but he couldn't find a gun on either of them. A few minutes later, Billy fired three more rounds into the ceiling. Again they were searched, and again no gun was found, but they were ejected from the place anyway.
    Outside, Billy showed Elfego where the gun was...on top of his head under his derby hat. He had been so quick in handling and concealing the gun that even Elfego hadn't seen where the gun had gone."

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I vaguely recall reading (several years ago) of an undercover narcotics agent who routinely carried a NAA mini-revolver in his hat. Two reasons were given:
    1) Unlikely to be discovered in a bump frisk (or even a pre-buy patdown).
    2) Even if discovered, who'd ever connect a piece like that with an undercover cop?

Might make sense for such extremely limited circumstances & applications, but I'm not intrigued enough to play with this idea . . .

Cool Not a good idea

It is silly, dangerous, illegal in some places even with a CCW (Georgia for example.) There are better ways to carry. Carry for practical reasons not for novelty. This is not a flame, just my opinion.

Assistant Administrator
    Lucky - no flame taken! I mooted this purely as something that just might provide a solution in an extreme case .... of course there are many ways to carry and that I usually do. OTOH tho - concealed is concealed.... except I am interested re your mention of GA for example - so it'd be illegal.

Anyways, thx for comments guys - this is somewhat ''tongue in cheek'' material I admit!
    Chris - P95

If you got a tall Stetson, why not use the smallest NAA mini and blend it in as part of the exterior hat band. You could even put ammo loops for extra rounds. Don't know that the reload would be all that fast for ya. Put a few more conchos or such on that there hatband and I bet you wouldn't even get a second look.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - get your drift Kevin. Thing is, the mini I have is so small it'll happily live in a wee little shirt pocket - it is so easy to hide. Interesting tho - (fun thinking) to imagine the gun in hat band, plus cartridge loops - and see how long before someone spotted it! Forget the conchos!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I agree with Lucky. doesn't seem to be a viable, safe option. I would consider a NAA belt buckle but I am a leftie so it would be backwards for me.

Actually, it might be a wonderful way to annoy the anti's... I can see the headlines now:

Ban assault bowlers!

Dangerous derbies!

Suicide Stetsons!

Fatal Fedora's!

Saturday Night Sombrero's!

Anyone got any more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links