Principles of Personal Defense

This is a discussion on Principles of Personal Defense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is classic info from the Colonel. It applies to all and is a great refresher. Condensed from the book of the same title by ...

This is classic info from the Colonel. It applies to all and is a great refresher.

Condensed from the book of the same title by Jeff Cooper

Alertness – “A commander may be forgiven for being defeated, but never for being surprised.” Alertness is, to some extent, an inherent personality trait, but it can be learned and improved. Once we accept that there are evil men capable of evil deeds, we automatically sharpen our senses. Know what is behind you and pay attention to anything out of place. The most likely attack is from behind. If you can anticipate an action you have a better chance of winning. Always be ready to take appropriate defensive/offensive action. Learn to live in “condition yellow.”

Decisiveness – It is difficult for us to change in an instant to take decisive action to meet a violent emergency. When it becomes evident that you are faced with violent physical assault, your life depends upon selecting a correct course of action and carrying it through without hesitation. There is no time to ponder. When under attack, the best course of action is to counterattack. This is contrary to our normally civilized behavior so it can be hard for us to do. The best way to cultivate this principle is through mental scenarios: What would I do if … This will help you to recognize the threat and in your ability to respond quicker, to solve the problem ahead of time. When under attack, it is necessary to evaluate the situation and decide immediately the proper course of action. Don’t hesitate, be decisive!

Aggressiveness – In defense we don’t initiate violence but our response to the attack should be overwhelming violence. “The best defense is a good offense.” “The best defense is an explosive counterattack.” You have observed this in the animal world. Aggressiveness provides and edge and the surprise factor since the assailant does not expect aggressiveness in his victims. Your skills become a critical factor when counterattacking. A skill person with a handgun can win a multiple assailants attack if he can act quickly and with an aggressive counterattack. This principle by itself have save lives by startling the attackers and discouraging the attack. Get angry, concentrate on the destruction of your enemy.

Speed – Speed is the essence of any form of combat. A big gun is no good if it didn’t fire on time. At the very instant that we recognize the imminent danger, we most move as fast as we can. If he has shot at us we must hit him before he can shoot again, if he hasn’t shot yet, we’ll have an edge of reaction time, we must be fast to hit. You don’t need to be fair, fight back instantly, be sudden, be quick, be fast.

Coolness – You must keep your head! You can’t afford to lose your “coolness”. If you can stay “cool” you’ll be able to shoot more precisely. You need to stay cool to be able to perform under stress.

Ruthlessness – Your assailant deserves no consideration. Do whatever it takes to stop him. Everything goes, hit as hard as you possibly can. Keep shooting until the threat stop, keep fighting until the threat no longer exists. Be harsh, be tough, be ruthless.

Surprise – This is the first principle of offensive combat, we must strive for “tactical surprise” by doing what the assailant least expect us to do, a fast, violent, aggressive counterattack. All the previous principles combine will produce the surprise factor to throw him completely off and win the fight.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Too bad our school systems teach just the opposite way of thinking to ourselves and our children. It's tough to erase all those years of sheep school. Chuck.

Anyone know where I can order this book and not have to wait for amonth to be told it is out of stock/out of print?

I would even be happy to get my hands on a used copy.

Can't seem to even find it in the library.

Thanks in advance
    MikeV

Senior Moderator
    Yep, it's a good read. I also have and read one of his books entitled, "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth"

I had the priviledge of having Mr. Cooper autograph both books while I visited with him in his house in AZ.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I highly recommend this book. In fact, over the last few weeks I've been reading a chapter per night in the self-defense class I teach. Excellent material...the Col. definately had a way with words.

For those looking for a copy...I found mine on Amazon for about $13
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

As an alternative to Amazon, if it is unavailable there. ($13 is a great price) one may try alibris.com. Purchased Art of Rifle there for a decent price.

Good stuff.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Yep, it's a good read. I also have and read one of his books entitled, "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth"

I had the priviledge of having Mr. Cooper autograph both books while I visited with him in his house in AZ.
    There was a copy of it for sale at the recent s. Florida gun show, and the sticker on the back showed they wanted something like thirty or forty bucks for it!!

*** time lapse ***

Okay, I just got back from amazon.com and found that the book sells new for FIFTY dollars! Grrr... I guess if you want good reading, you really gotta pay...

Paladin Press has PRINCIPLES OF PERSONAL DEFENSE for $14.00.

I've read it more times than I recall. Anyone concerned with personal defense should own a copy, in my opinion.

One of my favorite works by the Col. was "Another Country". IMHO it's one of his best works. You can it at the Gunsite Store .

Like Tangle, I had the privilege of entering "The Sconce" many years ago. Col. Cooper was a True Gentleman.

JJ
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Anyone know where I can order this book and not have to wait for amonth to be told it is out of stock/out of print?

I would even be happy to get my hands on a used copy.

Can't seem to even find it in the library.

Thanks in advance
    MikeV

$14 and in stock:
    http://www.TacticalResponseGear.com/...oducts_id=2857

The book would still be a value at twice the price. It is a classic text that should be required reading for anyone that owns a gun for defense.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Excellent words

Spoken in the language that can truly be understood. I will get this book.

Thanks

Thanks for the links, just ordered my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Thanks for the links, just ordered my copy.
    Ditto! Mine's been ordered also.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Thanks for the 411, Copy ordered

MikeV

Links