anyone have to use their gun in michigan?

This is a discussion on anyone have to use their gun in michigan? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know of many many stories or people who have had to pull out thier pistol, if not use it, but a friend of mine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have to use their gun in michigan?

anyone have to use their gun in michigan?

i know of many many stories or people who have had to pull out thier pistol, if not use it, but a friend of mine (who is actually a "gun person" just doesnt carry) asked if i knew of anyone over havingto use it in michigan. strange question i thought, but id like to tell him of an instance. I guess he just doesnt get the concept of being prepaired for the worst.

2. Remove Ads

Some people just do not get it.

On his website, Evan Marshall related an incident about two months in Midland Michigan where a guy came after him with a baseball bat in a parking lot. Pulling the gun stopped the guy.

Sadly, one of the most frustrating things here in Michigan is the ambiguity of the state statute on "brandishing." This very grey area of having to possibly just grip your weapon, not even necessarily unholstering it, therefore "displaying" it, can land you in plenty of hot water, possibly even arrested. It all depends on the locale, how the LEO's/prosecutors there are CPL friendly or not, and of course the circumstances.........but it sure isn't fun trying to play that kind of a guessing game! But if that dire moment ever arrises...........

Open carry is legal in Michigan, and is NOT considered brandishing. There is a recent court decision affirming this. So, "display" is only open carry, as long as it stays in the holster.

this open carry in Mi. that you speak of, is it more or less because it's not specificaly in the lawbooks as illegal so it is technically legal? Do you know the court decision that you reference?
    Nick.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    Open carry is legal in Michigan, and is NOT considered brandishing. There is a recent court decision affirming this. So, "display" is only open carry, as long as it stays in the holster.
    Got a link to the court decision? Was this decision a concealed carry issue, or just affirming open carry legality in MI?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here is one incident. There are a lot more on this blog. I thought that blog had tags to bring up all the stories from one state but i am not seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    ...a friend of mine (who is actually a "gun person" just doesnt carry) asked if i knew of anyone over havingto use it in michigan
    To justify carrying to this friend, I wouldn't think you would even have to provide stories involving a gun -- just evidence that crime (particularly violent crime) occurs in Michigan should do it. Many jurisdictions have crime stats and police blotters online.

As a former ambulance jockey here in MI, I've seen countless people who had never given a thought to their own safety beaten, stabbed, and shot. Some were dead, some wished (literally) that they had simply dies, rather than live with lifelong disabilities and pain. I haven't met the ones that used their guns, because they didn't need me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Got a link to the court decision? Was this decision a concealed carry issue, or just affirming open carry legality in MI?
    It's contained in state Attorney General's opinion #7101, which carries the force of law in MI. Any state legislator can ask the AG for an opinion on any law.

http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/da...0s/op10176.htm

Although the question was about reserve police officers, the AG said the law was the same for everyone. You have to be holding it in your hand to be brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    As a former ambulance jockey here in MI, I've seen countless people who had never given a thought to their own safety beaten, stabbed, and shot. Some were dead, some wished (literally) that they had simply dies, rather than live with lifelong disabilities and pain. I haven't met the ones that used their guns, because they didn't need me.

Amen to that brother...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
    On his website, Evan Marshall related an incident about two months in Midland Michigan where a guy came after him with a baseball bat in a parking lot. Pulling the gun stopped the guy.

Can you provide a link to Evan's website?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    Although the question was about reserve police officers, the AG said the law was the same for everyone. You have to be holding it in your hand to be brandishing.
    Basically you are just re-affirming the fact that an accidental exposure(like shirt getting hung on gun) isn't going to be brandishing, not that its actually legal to OC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links