First carry..

First carry..

This is a discussion on First carry.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I joined a couple months back but things got so hectic I haven't been around much. I've lurked some but no posting. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First carry..

First carry..

Hey everyone,

I joined a couple months back but things got so hectic I haven't been around much. I've lurked some but no posting. My wife had our first child 9 weeks ago so that has taken up the majority of my time. He just started day care so that's making it a little better and he's also sleeping thru the night for longer periods.

I received my permit on Thursday and went out for my first carry today. I hit a little store down the road and picked me and the wife up some breakfast then of course hit mandatory Wal-Mart.

I'm carrying a Glock 23 in a ctac holster. I've also ordered a VMII. Figure I have about 15 weeks left before I get it. It's a little umcomfortable carrying but I think as I loose more weight it will get better. It's the love handles that are the problem, not the holster or the gun.

I'm trying to be more aware of my surroundings, more considerate of others, and learning to let things go that would normally cause me to speak out or rather make sure I got the last word. I've read Chris Birds book, Concealed Handgun Manual, and Ayoob book, In the Gravest Extreme. I know they are recommended reads from this site and I recommend them as well. Looking forward to spending more time here.

I'm also shooting my first IPSC match in the morning with a G17.

Jason
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Assistant Administrator
    Congrats on Jr jmc . It's over 30 years since I went thru the disturbed nights stuff but I still remember - in fact my son is there right now having had #2 last year!

Glad you managed the WW trip - and pleased too to hear your comments re awareness, consideration and avoiding troubles - it is truly the way to go.

Carry is a considerable responsibility - something to be remembered every time we are toting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats on the arrival of your new son and your trip to WalMart. I recently started carrying as well and I know what you mean about being more aware and considerate. Stay safe.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

Carrying polite and considerate. Makes you wish everyone else acted this way.

My first carry was to WW as well.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Congrats on both the new addition to your family and your newly acquired carry permit. Both involve responsibilities and it sounds as if your up for the tasks at hand. Process as much information as you can get, practical application will turn it to knowledge.

Welcome. Congrats on the CWP, the baby, and the Wally World indoctrination.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Congrats on the permit and being a father, however I can't help but wonder why you guys aren't "more aware" in the first place? This should happen when carrying, but ESPECIALLY when NOT carrying!

Congrats on the new son! As far as carrying goes comfort will come with time. You'll figure out your little nitches and such. After awhile it becomes so normal to you it's like putting on your pants in the morning. I've been carrying for 15 years and for me it's just part of getting dressed.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Congrats of the new boy Let me guess, Walmart for ammo and diapers

congrats on the new baby and the maiden voyage to WM
    Kimber S/S tle pro

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Welcome to a brand new world!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Congrats

Thanks for the replies!
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

VIP Member

One more for the fold!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Congrats on the baby and your ability to now carry. Now, to help with the comfort of your holster, off to the gym with you my friend. That will help you be more comfortable as well. 30 minutes on the bag four days a week will trim you down in a hurry. Stay safe.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links