Crimson Trace versus LaserMax - Page 2

Crimson Trace versus LaserMax

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace versus LaserMax within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have rather large hands and have had no trouble with the CT grips on my 340....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace versus LaserMax

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have rather large hands and have had no trouble with the CT grips on my 340.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Lead Moderator
    I found the Lasermax pulsing laser easier to pick up fast on my buddies Glock. It may be a personal preference thing though.
    armoredman, nice looking pistol.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The greatest factor I've heard that would sway me to the LaserMax is that it's internal. Nothing extra on the outside of the pistol. Interestingly, the greatest thing I've heard about the Crimson Trace grips are that they're external. They change none of the important functioning parts. If, like me, you're less-than-trusting of the LM guide rod and spring system (I've read reports of it breaking), then CT sounds very attractive.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    While I'm not interested in equipping any of my guns with a laser (though my mind might change about my home defense gun), I like the guide-rod style laser devices, so I'd go with Lasermax.

I haven't looked into it -- does Crimson Trace also make guide-rod style lasers? And does Lasermax offer one that doesn't pulsate? (I would prefer solid red.)

This year's American Handgunner Annual has an article about a bunch of Sig P220 Combat Model guns being torture tested for a t.v. show, equipped with Lasermax guide rod lasers. None of the guns, or the lasers, failed after the excruciating tests, according to the author. That says something.

I finally got CT grips for my J frame today....had to drive down to Fargo, ND to find them....I likie I will post some pics later tonight.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I wont use either , I do not like a projected beam on a defensive gun , with a flachlight i chan choose to project or not , and actualy id a target , with night sights ( triteum or howeaver you speel that ) it projects nothing to sight . For folks who have a reason to need a projected sight i hope the thread helps them , but IMHO its a narrow field of folks who will really benifit from the device , and would not benifit from training on low light shooting .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    The greatest factor I've heard that would sway me to the LaserMax is that it's internal. Nothing extra on the outside of the pistol. Interestingly, the greatest thing I've heard about the Crimson Trace grips are that they're external. They change none of the important functioning parts. If, like me, you're less-than-trusting of the LM guide rod and spring system (I've read reports of it breaking), then CT sounds very attractive.
    Thats the reason I ditched LaserMax. You have to modify your weapon to make it work. Granted its a simple modification, but it is a modification and if your carrying a issued weapon thats a no-no. Also CT grips have served me well and their new products are bar none top of the line.

Now having said all that, after alot of personal and work related testing, I only put lasers on my snubbies, because in full size weapons I have found I actually slow down when using a laser. But on J-frames, in my book their get them up fast when I'm already behind the curve as thier back-ups and I find I cant pick up j-frame sights.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    for the J frame, the CT grips.

for the XD, LaserMax.

can't sing the praises loud enough...
    Why?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I can block the beam on any of my CT's - semi or revo - if finger fully outstretched and high enough - off trigger in other words.

In a shooting situation trigger finger in use falls well below - beam obstruction then ain't gonna happem.
    If I get a laser for my HS2000, it will be LaserMax for one reason: I'm a lefty. My two-hand grip puts my right thumb right in the way of the CT laser. Now if CT were to make a lefty laser, I'd take a serious look at it.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    for the J frame, the CT grips.

for the XD, LaserMax.

can't sing the praises loud enough...
    Why?
    There is no CT for the XD because of the grip safety.

I am not a fan of the LaserMax. My reasoning is two fold, First the one my father has keeps turning on in the holster, second I do not like the blinking laser. He loves it I hate it so YMMV.

I am waiting to see the new CT for the M&P, I may have it as I like the extra deterrent factor.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

CT on Tactical Ultra II

Got CT on Colt Defender, Kimber Tactical Ultra II....would put them on ever pistol I have if they would make em.
    Attached Images

CT prototype

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    There is no CT for the XD because of the grip safety.

I am not a fan of the LaserMax. My reasoning is two fold, First the one my father has keeps turning on in the holster, second I do not like the blinking laser. He loves it I hate it so YMMV.

I am waiting to see the new CT for the M&P, I may have it as I like the extra deterrent factor.
    The CT prototype for the XD is on their website. Also seem to remember the LM website saying something about non pulse being new too. Hard to keep up with all the changes, and who knows how prototypes work out/

The CT for my snubby seems to be more realistic at the moment.

I put a lasermax on my G27 and thought it was neat for a bit. That is until I put it in a holster and a good fitting well made holster caused the switch on the Glock to turn on and ran the batts dead. That is a poor design. The spring on the switch broke also but Lasermax replaced it for free with no questions asked. If I were to do it again I would go with the CT
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I guess that must be an easy-to-overlook issue: does your laser device work correctly in conjunction with your holster.

After all, any gun we're going to carry is going to be holstered, yes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links