A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad

This is a discussion on A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A minor point here...one of nomenclature... I do agree that CCW is a serious business. I have had involvement with guns my entire life, always ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad

A minor point here...one of nomenclature...
    I do agree that CCW is a serious business. I have had involvement with guns my entire life, always taking safety as 'step one'...

I have taken several multi-day self-defense pistol courses after getting my CCW permit back in 2000. Did my lifestyle change? I don't really think so...but my attitude did change immensely. Perhaps we are treading on similar ground with different titles.

It is attitude that shapes how we think, how we react, and how we procede...

It is attitude that takes a novice to a more practiced place in any art or position, including the practice of CCW.

I don't think that your lifestyle makes needed adjustments in your habits and attitiudes, but rather one's attitude that makes the needed adjustments in habits and lifestyle...ATTITUDE is the key!

CCW is a serious business, one that if taken correctly, keeps you on your toes, more cognizant of your environment, and mindful of how much more you need to improve...

OMO...yours may vary!

Stay armed...read and practice...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you carry everyday and even if you don't, you have changed your lifestyle to one degree or another. Just think at all the things you do now that you did not do before...You don't walk into post offices or Goverment offices carrying a weapon. If you go to a waiting room, you might choose a seat that will accomodate you and the gun. If the law in your state does not allow it, you don't go into bars and I can go on an on.
    As for training, of course there should be some degree of it (or a lot) but that is your responsability.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"The woman surprised me by saying, "Oh, I don't want to kill anyone. I just want to scare them or shoot them in the leg maybe."

In the state of Arizona, it's against the law to intentionally maim someone. You only have the right to shoot-to-kill. And then only to prevent imminent harm to yourself or a 3rd party.

To use a music business analogy, if someone says they want to go into the music business (or carry a concealed weapon) discourage them. Do everything in your power to talk them out of it. If they are truly motivated and know themselves well, your discouraging comments will not dissuade them. The faddists will shrug their shoulders and go home.
    Last edited by Gadfly; June 3rd, 2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: bad cut-and-paste on quote
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    To use a music business analogy, if someone says they want to go into the music business (or carry a concealed weapon) discourage them. Do everything in your power to talk them out of it. If they are truly motivated and know themselves well, your discouraging comments will not dissuade them. The faddists will shrug their shoulders and go home.
    Not the best analogy, I encourage people to carry. It is still their choice but I offer support and encouragement.
    Decent people are carrying guns in Nashville partly because I offered my help.

Melodrama

Calling concealed carry a lifestyle change is a bit melodramatic. Sure, one's wardrobe may change to accomodate one's pistol and one needs to become proficient with their firearm and educated on local laws & safety, but education/knowledge hardly translates into a change in "lifestyle".

It sounds like you have a passion for firearms and concealed carry and have chosen to change your lifestyle accordingly. That doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Quote Originally Posted by austinguy23 View Post
    ... you have a passion for firearms and concealed carry and have chosen to change your lifestyle accordingly. That doesn't mean everyone else has to.
    I think the term was used to indicate the change in thinking, bearing, planning, dress, security, consideration for the children (if have kids) ... the whole package, which of course varies from person to person. I highly doubt it was a statement dictating everyone else has to do the same things.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    OK, so not every one like's the word "lifestyle" can we get on with life?

I don't think this thread was started to be a debate on the usage of some words in the English language...

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post

I don't think this thread was started to be a debate on the usage of some words in the English language...
    Exactly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post

Meaning life in general or life as it pertains to CCW?

Senior Moderator
    Wow, did this digress.

Not to worry, I have spare theories..

If lifestyle was the wrong word, so-be-it, my apologies.

No, this was not meant to be a huge debate.. though reasonable and well-thought-out debate is good for the soul sometimes, as long as we all remember that we're still on the same side.

Life's mean, we've tried to prepare for it. Some of us prepare more than others. I know and understand that.

Neither of my posts were meant to seem as though I was looking down on anyone, but encouraging them to think.

Even the people who DO start to carry for all of the wrong reasons or have all of the wrong ideas (such as "I just want to wound them") can CERTAINLY learn and understand and advance. Heck, they might end up sharing their stories on here someday about how they became to be concealed carriers and how they progressed. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lima i think you nailed it on the first post , I have carried since 81 ( leagaly we wont discuss otherwise ) and they wife has since 83 when she had an event that did convince her that she is an under 100 lb girl . Its not allways easy , or convienant but it can be done . At times the wife ( and now my adult daughter ) bow to fashon and do not carry , this is part of the reason that i now normaly carry two service caliber pistols as a rule .. I have backup that is reliable if i can arm them at any given point ... but on a 22 year old girls little black dress just where are you gonna hang a ccw ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Lima i think you nailed it on the first post , I have carried since 81 ( leagaly we wont discuss otherwise ) and they wife has since 83 when she had an event that did convince her that she is an under 100 lb girl . Its not allways easy , or convienant but it can be done . At times the wife ( and now my adult daughter ) bow to fashon and do not carry , this is part of the reason that i now normaly carry two service caliber pistols as a rule .. I have backup that is reliable if i can arm them at any given point ... but on a 22 year old girls little black dress just where are you gonna hang a ccw ?
    Before I got my permit my husband used to do the same thing for me. He would carry on his right for himself, on the left for me and told me that if anything happened, I knew what to go for. It always made me feel good.

Now, if I ever have to bow to the whims of fashion, I'm sure he'll do the same.

A co-worker of mine had the unpleasant experience of a drive-by shooting in his neighborhood. He says "I'm gonna get a gun and protect my family". When he finds out how much of hassle (here) it is he says "how can the innocent protect themselves if its so inconvenient to get a gun/permit?" I just want to be able to shoot someone before they can harm my family.

I tell him to speed dial 9-1-1 instead.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Lima...Dont mistake disagreement for digression. In my view debate is a progression, not a digression.

If everbody is in agreement nobody is learning.

I dont believe its just a matter of "semantics". The original implication is that those who choose to CC will, or at least should have some significant change in the way they operate day to day (change in lifestyle). That simply is not true for many, regardless of why (time, resources, etc).

2A / guns etc. has not become an all encompassing life decision, in fact it hasnt changed much. Aside from the ammo trips to Walmart and the time spent on this forum, everything has stayed the same and is likely to for the foreseeable future.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    A co-worker of mine had the unpleasant experience of a drive-by shooting in his neighborhood. He says "I'm gonna get a gun and protect my family". When he finds out how much of hassle (here) it is he says "how can the innocent protect themselves if its so inconvenient to get a gun/permit?" I just want to be able to shoot someone before they can harm my family.

I tell him to speed dial 9-1-1 instead.
    Is he still trying to get his permit?

I think you have a fabulous oportunity here to help him (not help him get his permit, of course, but help him transition into a well armed citizen). He's right, it is hard in some places and in some places it's very easy.

I think if you started grooming him to prepare him for concealed carry he very well could protect his family.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links