A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad - Page 6

A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad

This is a discussion on A brief reminder that concealed carry is a lifestyle, not a fad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After only 8 years of marriage I know this...I can be right, or I can be happy. I choose happiness....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    After only 8 years of marriage I know this...I can be right, or I can be happy. I choose happiness.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    xercise2nd...Thank you, your analogy spot on and greatly helped its intended audience (me) and was appropriate for the subject.

Lima...one religious reference in 73 posts and we get a threat to shut it down? I know the other Mods will back you because you are a fellow moderator, but take a lesson from them. Wait a bit, give us some credit and dont be so anxious to flex that 6 star muscle. The fine folks on this forum are capable of having a civilized discussion that may include the word "God".
    Yes the mods will back Lima and so will the members here. We have learned in the past that religion and scripture quoting has no place here and tends to get things stirred up quickly. Much like tossing a match on a pile of tender. The rules are there for a reason.

Things of that nature should be contained in a PM not a post.

I will not turn this fine thread into a religious debate. Therefore you will not hear anything else from me on this matter.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    You know Lima,

I don't usually like to read l-o-n-g post like this but I sure as heck enjoyed yours! Thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lima...one religious reference in 73 posts and we get a threat to shut it down? I know the other Mods will back you because you are a fellow moderator, but take a lesson from them. Wait a bit, give us some credit and dont be so anxious to flex that 6 star muscle. The fine folks on this forum are capable of having a civilized discussion that may include the word "God".
    This is not a religious forum, it certainly isn't a christian forum.
    There are people of many faiths here, probably a few that will take exception to one interpretation of faith over another.

Read Lima's posts, she was brought up by very religious folk. She agrees with you more than you know, but she also knows what is best for the peace of the forum.

So, where were we? Oh yes, guns...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    So, where were we? Oh yes, guns...
    Guns, guns, and more gosh darned guns... (insert war cry here.)

Senior Moderator
    peacefuljeffrey, your posts are nearly as long as mine... Good, I don't feel so bad then.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    My hope is that you will keep them interested, keep them encouraged, and turn their thoughts in the right direction. Suggest that they come to a class; offer a discount if need be. Use facts and common sense to help them see the reality of defensive action and preparedness. There is no reason why that woman could not be told -- politely, of course -- that what she said amounts to popular myth, and that there is actual knowledge of the real way it goes that she could benefit from.
    I agree with you. I don't think these people should be turned away either. They can certainly be taught and reasoned with and they can decide for themselves if they still want to get a gun for self-defense. Even if they determine that a gun isn't for them we can still recommend other options.

Understand that what he was really saying was, "I don't know what I need to know, so please help me." He wasn't saying, "Pick the gun I ought to prefer."

Perhaps you should have just taken it from there and said, "Okay, let's begin the learning process by which I will help you determine what works best for you.

From the sound of it, it seems you did just that.
    Yes, that's exactly what I did. I have already gotten at least three customers who have approached me the exact same way (I don't know anything, help me.) I try very hard to take them through everything, step by step, not pushing any particular gun on them and letting them choose for themselves. Sometimes it gets little challenging because everyone has such specific needs and you don't want to miss anything or advise incorrectly.

One of the customers I went through all of this with bought a Taurus in 9mm. He came back later to thank me because he was so happy with his purchase and my time. That made me feel good.

I try to be helpful.

We were all newbies at one point or another and I always try to extend the same courtesy to others I would want for myself.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Very, very true, sweety (jdlv4_0, for those of you who are new or still don't know, he's my husband ).
    Now that's scary, a Jarhead that can type. LOL Just kidding. Thanks for the job and service you do!!!

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker View Post
    Now that's scary, a Jarhead that can type. LOL Just kidding. Thanks for the job and service you do!!!
    I was one of them there smart type gyrines that worked with dufitchits and such....

I work in electronics, so yeah I can type and even do binary to decimal conversion...well as long as I have a piece of paper.

Your welcome!
    Last edited by JD; June 4th, 2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Spelling, Hey I can type, just not spell some times...

Lima, as usual you have given us a well thought out and written look into the minds of the people going to a gun shop and things that go on at a gun shop. I'm willing to bet you have as many interesting things happening there as a LEO that's been on the job for awhile. Simply because people will tell you things that they'd never say to a LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I was one of them there smart type gyrines that worked with dufitchits and such....

I work in electronics, so yeah I can type and even do binary to decimal conversion...well as long as I have a piece of paper.

Your welcome!
    My son's a wing nut.

Are the only two choices "fad" or "lifestyle"? Im going to go out on a limb here and disagree with Lima.

Im not suggesting that CC should not be taken seriously, but a complete change of lifestyle? Maybe to a point, but when you categorize those who carry into two polarized groups, you automatically label half as ill-prepared wanna-be tactical mall-ninjas who arent as ready as those who have a new CC "lifestyle".

What about those who dont have the time or money to be as prepared as the rest? What if someone does not have a job at a gunshop, hasnt been in the military, didnt grow up around guns, doesnt have a SHTF kit or a sufficient ammo stash...should they not carry because we deem them ill-prepared?

Ill use myself as an example because its the only one I have.

I have just two guns, a shotgun and pistol for CC. Hadnt shot a handgun in 15 years...bought a pistol and had my CC permit within a month. Shoot 100 rounds every two weeks since and I have 80 rounds "stocked up" for my next trip to the gravel pit.

I believe that I represent the majority (the public, not members of this forum) as far as preparedness. Woefully unready by the standards set forth in these posts, but I believe better off than many.

Not a fad, not a lifestyle...somewhere in between.
    I think you have made a very viable point about a lot of people that want a CCW permit. The class I was in was made up of mostly store owners and business men that wanted to be able to carry when they felt the need. (bank drop offs and such)

Assistant Administrator
    Not a fad, not a lifestyle...somewhere in between.
    I'd qualify further - being pedantic And say not so much a ''change'' in lifestyle but a ''modification''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95Carry...+1. Modification is a good choice. Another thread by Lima's Hubby adresses this and when I actually thought out a list of the changes that 1 pistol has made to my routine, it was more than I thought.

We should make a list of ways to tell you tell if your a gun-nut...
    -NRA card? Ammo stash? Vest for summer time? 5.11 pants in the office?

brilliant post as always lima. Good to see you talked some sense into these folks.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

Lima,

I'm getting to this post late, but as usual... an excellent post and good topic for a thread.

One thing I tell people who are rather blahse' about getting a carry permit and thinking all they have to do is strap on a gun and off they go... is to tell them very matter of fact... "Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you are gonna win the fight!" "You have a fair chance of being the one who dies in a gunfight!"

That will usually take them back a step and make them stop and think for a few minutes.

As I said before, I've had a couple near death experiences 20-25 years ago that were life changing events. I developed a defensive lifestyle over 20 years ago. Missouri has only had a CCW a couple years now, and carrying a gun has only been the latest tool that I've added to my tool box. I've been a defensive shooter for close to 25 years, training for the day that Missouri got CCW passed. Over those years I have developed a lifestyle that is defensive and I have many tools in my toolbox.

If I am without a gun, I am definitely not "unarmed" because I have trained in other disciplines along the way and have options. While I have been a medic on a swat team for about 8 years, I was only packing a gun when I work with the sheriff's dept. until my ccw came in.

I am occasionally stunned by some peoples lacadasical attitude towards strapping on a gun. I can only imagine what you come across working in a gun shop.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links