New Job concerns... - Page 2

New Job concerns...

This is a discussion on New Job concerns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Blackeagle How likely are you to be assaulted? The fact that you're out in the field would seem to push the odds ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Job concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post

How likely are you to be assaulted? The fact that you're out in the field would seem to push the odds up, but it doesn't sound like you'll be carrying any money for your job, so it's not quite as bad as being a cab driver or pizza deliveryman (no way I would do either of those jobs unarmed).
    There are other scenarios, you are out there on your own.
    The house you visit in the middle of nowhere is a meth lab, you get there just as they are loading a batch into a car outside, they get upset at your arrival.
    The house you visit is being robbed.
    The house you visit is occupied by a cranky old dude who hasn't took his meds in a week and is walking around nude holding a steak knife...

I would carry, as I stated above, and look for other work.
    I work on my own, fortunately I am self-employed so the boss (me) allows guns... I wouldn't have it any other way, dealing with the public is not something you can predict.

As others have said it's a personal decision and I won't advise one way or the other. That being said if you do decide to carry I'd say you should go for something virtually undetectable. That means that even a J frame may be too big for your needs and you should look at something like a Seecamp. Good luck.

Law and Company Policy...

These two issues are very different. I would not want to break the law for fear of loosing the ability to CCW, company policy, however, is another story.

Out and about, 150 mile working area?...Concealed means very concealed. The rural backroads are not places to be unarmed. I doubt that your cell phone or a two-second burst of peper spray will be adequate protection if really needed...OMO!

You obviously have to make some personal decesions.

Dead with your family struggling for survival? Alive but looking for work?

Good luck with your decisions...

Stay armed...don't break the LAW...stay safe!
    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    you need to decide, weight the pros and cons for yourself.( if it is not illegal)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

if you're in your own car....even on company business, how can it be against company policy to have your property in your own car.
    What do they suggest you do if you're in any of 02s posted situations?
    (naked dude with a knife..thanks for THAT visual)

Luvmy40...they tell you you're on the job driving to and from work???? W...T.....other letter are they smoking? Start putting in for mileage reimbursements for those mileage and see what they say. If you're on official business once you leave your driveway..in your own car. Put in for back payments from day one. Either they'll drop that BS or you might come up with a nice bonus.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I used to work for a major midwestern electric utility. Due to state law, I could not carry irregardless of company policy. Once, while on storm outage restoration duty, I was chased by an angry crowd who wanted their power back on. Fortunately I was driving a company car and they were on foot. It doesn't take much to imagine a slight change in circumstances and outcome.

I wouldn't tell you to jeopardize your job, but get the best alternatives you can and start working on changing policy. Ask if they are taking responsibility for your personal safety and will they sign a legal document stating so.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Not to mention the fact that some of the dunder headed mgmt. here have actually said that I am in an "official capacity" while driving to and from work and therefore having a "dangerous weapon" in my possesion is still against postal policy!
    Sounds like it is time to start putting in for some mileage reimbursements.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Myself, I would choose to carry. As others have said, concealment becomes extremely inportant. I would consider carrying a small 9mm
    in a pocket holster. I carry my Glock 26 in a Nemesis pocket hlster, and it is well concealed, but easily within reach. I would avoid IWB or OWB holsters, as i would be too easy for the gun to be noticed.. Most likely, you will not need to use your gun, and so you can keep your job as long as you want. In the event that you are forced to pull your gun, or even fire, well, at least you're still around to look for another job. Best of luck, regardless of your decision.

Sponsor
    To sonofasniper and dunndw,
    A lobotomy is a prereq to going into mgmt. in the Post Office. There is no way they could enforce such a ludicrous (sp?) statement, but they never let a little thing like the the truth or facts get in the way of mismanaging... uhm, I mean managing.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    So, I start a new job on Monday. Utilitly Locating company...anyone from the Mid-West knows them...little white and orange trucks. Anyway..they have a no gun policy. Now the only issue is that I will be working alone ALL the time...in a company truck. Not to mention I will have about a 150 mile range. Rural areas to people's backyards. I see a need to carry my weapon, but don't want to "get caught" This job is something I can't walk away from either. Great pay and insurance, which seeing how I'm getting married in August means alot to me. Can anyone help put my mind at ease here? I mean I won't see my boss but every 3 or 4 days....but, I hate the thought of being dishonest. I'm a good sized guy..5'11" 245, and can defend myself, but still my right hand can't stop a knife or a gun. What to do??
    I think, I honestly think, that you know what to do.
    So do it, and keep your mouth 200% SHUT.

But it's not my decision, it's yours.

P.S. Can you tell me why you should feel bad about being "dishonest" when THEY want you to be vulnerable, and don't care about your ability to defend your own life out in the middle of nowhere?

Honestly, I don't know where some of you people get these guilt complexes about not being 100% obedient to those who don't give a flying rat's behind about you.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    Questions I would be asking myself include:
    What are the areas like?
    Has the company had any personnel attacked?
    If so was the company litigated against by the employee following the attack?

Also it is more than 'feeling dishonest', if you use the weapon expect to be dismissed, which will lose you the benefits.

If I were you I would carry as it isn't breaking laws - just their conditions of employment - people break those everyday, all day. Tell nobody and accept that it is a temporary job. Use the time there to network out for a job where the employers understand.

Good luck.

Although I agree with your final conclusion, I take issue with even bothering to consider those first few questions you posed. It's disingenuous: we are always going on, here, about the fact that "it" can happen "anywhere," and that a place that was "so safe" yesterday could be the scene of a massacre today.

So what does it matter if any personnel have ever been attacked? Does that matter to the first one ever?

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I used to work for a major midwestern electric utility. Due to state law, I could not carry irregardless of company policy. Once, while on storm outage restoration duty, I was chased by an angry crowd who wanted their power back on. Fortunately I was driving a company car and they were on foot. It doesn't take much to imagine a slight change in circumstances and outcome.
    Woulda been funny if, since they forbid you a gun, you were forced to use the COMPANY CAR to mow down some members of a crazed, violent mob.

I'd love to see how the company had to defend itself then, since the car used belonged to them.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

So what does it matter if any personnel have ever been attacked?
    It's data, from data you make educated forecasts. Anomalies occur but there are certain patterns in certain areas, ask any LEO.

You will have to carfully weigh your options and decide for yourself. My job does not allow for me to carry, period. If I tried and was caught, I'd lose everything including my pension. No thanks. I carry a folder and an OC with me every time I am on shift though. The SOGs are not clear on what constitutes " a deadly weapon" so I do with that information what I need to be safe.

You should look at your options and then go from there.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    That's a tuff one that is asked quite often.

To say that it's a personal decision that only you can make is obvious but still true. It's easy to say things like "concealed means concealed" etc.

If it were me, I would look to other forms of self defense even if it meant taking some self defense classes, carrying OC spray or maybe an ASP but I would not violate company policy. But that's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links