New Job concerns... - Page 3

New Job concerns...

This is a discussion on New Job concerns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone has a signature, better to be judged by 12-then carried by 6. It will be a difficult decision for sure. Personally I would-and tell ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Someone has a signature, better to be judged by 12-then carried by 6. It will be a difficult decision for sure. Personally I would-and tell NO one. You can always find another job, finding another living body is for Sci-Fi channel.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

www.smartcarry.com means never having to let anyone know you are armed.

They don't care about you, they care about $$$ and their liability. They deserve the same respect. It is your decision to make.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It's data, from data you make educated forecasts. Anomalies occur but there are certain patterns in certain areas, ask any LEO.
    Well, take a case where someone was attacked in a place where there formerly had been zero attacks.

If we trace backward, under your approach it would have been logical for that person to conclude, "Well, no one's been attacked in that location, so 'statistically' it shouldn't be that bad if I have to be without a gun there, because it's a 'safe' place."

I thought we here accepted as a given that violent crime can choose to happen to us anywhere we happen to be. So I thought a corollary to that is, "Don't go thinking it's 'safe' to be disarmed in any given place just because it's not known to be a 'high crime' area."

VIP Member
    I dont think his company "doesn't care for you" or "wants to leave you vulnerable". I believe the company, just like alot of other people, needs to be educated on the subject. I don't think its a "concious effort" to put your life in danger.
    I carry everywhere I go and am fortunate enough to work for myself, but I still have to be very carefull about being made because I'm in people houses all the time. A policy isnt keeping me from carrying. I'm not risking loosing a good job which my family depends on or loosing a pension. Tho it could get around if I got caught and hurt my business. The reason for you being fired is carried over to the next potential job, thus maybe not getting hired for it either thus making it hard for you to find employment. And yes I'm aware of the " better off dead" and "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
    The way I see it is, the rules are the rules, you have a choice of either working there or not. If I hired on somewhere, I'd accept the rules like a contract. You have a choice to work there or not, but I feel if you do , the rules should be followed. I know I'm going against the popular vote here, but providing for your family is important. And yes its no good if you're dead, but the chances are actually quite low you'll need your gun. I am NOT saying it cant happen. You have to weigh it out. It would be a tough decision for me to make.

I wouldn't be that concerned about an incident. Remember, your brain is your best weapon AND defense. I've personally avoided numerous confilcts before I got my CCW.

I'd be more concerned being made by someone while working on thier power and having them call the office. All you need is some super anti-2A person to make you and turn it onto a huge case with management. Also, as previously stated, the next employer will check with your current one regarding why you were dismissed. You might be giving up two ( or more ) jobs by getting made once. Deep cover or not, there is a chance each client you visit of getting made.

Personally, I would carry a good pepper spray, a nice big Maglite, and maybe a taser if allowed. It's your call, obviously, but to me, the risks of losing a really good job out weigh the benefit of a possible incident.

Also, considering you have your photo as your avatar please don't tell us what you do actually decide to do. Won't take a rocket scientist to deduce who you are if anyone is following you online...

If concealed correctly no one would know unless you must use it. At that point hopefully you will come out alive. And what is the worst thing the company can do, fire you?

Another option may be an expandable baton.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Personal defense is personal. Probably one of the most personal decisions you will ever make. What value to I place on my life? That is the question. At what cost will I expend personally and monitarily to defend my life? That is another question.

You have to make those decisions based on your personal situation. Jobs like you have don't fall off tree's everyday. There is some security regarding wages, pension, benifits and such in having that job. That has to be considered as well.

Just know, that a gun is a tool. It should not be the only tool in your personal defense tool box. There are many other tools and methods which can be used if the gun is not an option. A lot of the other options may take, more time, money and trainining on your part. Are you willing to learn unarmed defensive tactics to add to your tool box?

All that being said.... There is the caveat that goes like this... "When what you need to save your life is a gun, there is no substitute"

What I'm saying is on that one rare occasion where you need a gun... you need a gun!

It's all give and take... and sometimes, there isn't an easy answer.

I know this isn't much help, but it's all I have for now.

Good luck in what you decide.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links