New Job concerns...

This is a discussion on New Job concerns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I start a new job on Monday. Utilitly Locating company...anyone from the Mid-West knows them...little white and orange trucks. Anyway..they have a no gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Job concerns...

New Job concerns...

So, I start a new job on Monday. Utilitly Locating company...anyone from the Mid-West knows them...little white and orange trucks. Anyway..they have a no gun policy. Now the only issue is that I will be working alone ALL the time...in a company truck. Not to mention I will have about a 150 mile range. Rural areas to people's backyards. I see a need to carry my weapon, but don't want to "get caught" This job is something I can't walk away from either. Great pay and insurance, which seeing how I'm getting married in August means alot to me. Can anyone help put my mind at ease here? I mean I won't see my boss but every 3 or 4 days....but, I hate the thought of being dishonest. I'm a good sized guy..5'11" 245, and can defend myself, but still my right hand can't stop a knife or a gun. What to do??
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

Knives are 'banned' too?

Yes, from what I understand. I have asked but no straight answer.....
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well as a standard none of us here will ever encourage someone to break the law or to purposefully violate your company policy.

That being said, this is really a personal decision that lies within you. You have to balance being armed and risking your career with earning a good living and putting food on the table.

I am sorry if I can't give you any easy answer. Many hear struggle with that exact same issue. One of the mods here puts it best in his signature: "Being armed and assuming your safe is like owning a piano and thinking that your a pianist." or something like that. The point is that having a firearm does not automatically protect you. It is you that protects you. The firearm is just one of many tools that you can use.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Questions I would be asking myself include:
    What are the areas like?
    Has the company had any personnel attacked?
    If so was the company litigated against by the employee following the attack?

Also it is more than 'feeling dishonest', if you use the weapon expect to be dismissed, which will lose you the benefits.

If I were you I would carry as it isn't breaking laws - just their conditions of employment - people break those everyday, all day. Tell nobody and accept that it is a temporary job. Use the time there to network out for a job where the employers understand.

Good luck.

JD
    Administrator
    All I can say is. You can't bring home a pay check if your dead.

And there's always pepper spray.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First let me say that this is a very personal decision. Others can weigh in, but in the end you must do right by your and your family.

I work for a utility as well and also travel through my state quite extensively. We have a no gun policy at work, but KY state law says that companies cannot stop us from keeping firearms in our cars. This works for me. While I am on company property I do not carry.

Personally, If I was in your position I would choose not to carry. Yea, I know it is easy to say carry anyway and that the company does not have to the right to keep you from protecting yourself. I agree.

That being said... you get caught and you get fired. If I just had myself to think about it would be different, but I have 3 children and they get real cranky when they don't eat. There are difficult decisions that have to made. For me it is easier. I can keep my pistol locked in the car. You will not have this option. You just have to answer the question "is it worth it".

Good luck with your decision.

IMHO
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I won't say what I would do, because as was covered, it is a personal decision for you to make. My recommendation would be to search alternate means of defense before you decide one way or the other. I have had good experiences with pepper spray (except when I have been hit with it), such as Punch II. I would also check into stun guns, impact weapons such as the ASP, and even a "tire thumper" or large Mag lite for your vehicle. Good luck.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Dead men earn no money for their families.

Explore deep concealment options......smartcarry comes to mind. There are others.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsor
    I am not going to tell you to break the rules, but I wish that was all I had to wory about. It is a felony for me to even have my carry gun in my private vehicle at my job with the Post Office. If I want to have my sidearm before or after work, I have to park offsite in a city parking spot and probably get ticketed. Not to mention the fact that some of the dunder headed mgmt. here have actually said that I am in an "official capacity" while driving to and from work and therefore having a "dangerous weapon" in my possesion is still against postal policy!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

i'm assuming that you can carry legally otherwise. i don't want to encourage you to break your company's policy; i'll just say that i made that choice for myself, as well as other guys i work with. if i had a job that had me working alone all day long, in the middle of nowhere, i'd think about carrying too. stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Wow tuff call. I know I am not allowed to carry at work so I don't. However there are always alternatives to firearms. I doubt since you will be encountering aggressive animals ( in peoples yards) pepper spray would out of line. That along with some sort of blunt impact weapon can be a good combo. Good luck with the new job and keep your eyes wide open.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    I doubt since you will be encountering aggressive animals ( in peoples yards) pepper spray would out of line. That along with some sort of blunt impact weapon can be a good combo.
    For both of those rolled up in one, consider the ASP Key Defender.

http://www.copquest.com/21-1400.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Well as a standard none of us here will ever encourage someone to break the law or to purposefully violate your company policy.
    Very few people here will (openly) encourage someone to break the law, but there are quite a few who will encourage you to violate company no-carry policies. Personally, I'm not going to give you hard and fast advice either way, but I think you have to weigh the chances of needing your weapon with the chances and consequences of loosing your job.

How likely are you to be assaulted? The fact that you're out in the field would seem to push the odds up, but it doesn't sound like you'll be carrying any money for your job, so it's not quite as bad as being a cab driver or pizza deliveryman (no way I would do either of those jobs unarmed).

On the flip side, how confident are you in your carry method? Does concealed mean concealed or do you print/flash occasionally? You don't say what your current carry weapon is, but you may want to think about changing it. I'm generally an advocate of carrying fairly large weapons in a strong side hip holster, but a non-permissive environment is different. A J-frame or a small auto isn't going to be as effective as a bigger pistol in a gunfight, but it may make it easier for you to carry and keep your job.

Finally, if you did loose this job (either because your boss found out you carry or because you had to use your weapon in self defense) how difficult would it be for you to get another?

Think about these things and make up your own mind.

VIP Member
    I would not carry if it was going to jeopardize a good stable insurance paid job. I'd look for other alternatives. A gun isnt the only answer for self protection. It may be the best, but we have to compromise all through life.
    There are people on here that won't go anywhere, no matter what, if they can't carry, there are some that carry part time and there are many that can't carry at work. You're going to get a whole array of answers. You do what you feel is right.
    A point to ponder.......... IF you get caught with a gun and get fired, is that going to carry over to your next potential place of employment? Meaning, you may not get that job either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links