Concealed Carry & Motorcycles

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry & Motorcycles within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was curious if any of you drive motorcycles and carry? Does it present some unusual issues? I'm picking up a small bike to commute ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry & Motorcycles

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I was curious if any of you drive motorcycles and carry? Does it present some unusual issues? I'm picking up a small bike to commute to work on, so I've been thinking about it. Obviously storage is quite an issue, especially since I can't/won't take my weapon into work. I was just curious if any of you ride and carry?

Gideon

DC Founder
    I can't help you, but you'll get some answers on this one, I'm sure. We have quite a few riders here.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    There is no CCW law in Wisconsin. Hence, such issues do not apply to me, and I will not confirm or deny the existence of any item that might print on my leather jacket...

Assistant Administrator
    Doing my level best to never be biking outside of PA - it is a minor point. I maintain my normal OWB carry and conceal with a vest - simple denim Smith and Alexander..... necessary to wear even with leather on as that is too short to cover.

As for your situation - can't carry into work. That is not so easy - and maybe only thing you could do is carry when mobile and secure piece then in a lockable stowage device - maybe a back box with lock and lockable box within. Not something I have had to deal with.

I count my blessings with way I can bike and carry. Only minor downside is always access - slower than desirable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I sure wouldn't secure it anywere on the bike Don't know who might be watching while you removed you weapon and secured it .As I see it either you don't carry to work or you get a KelTec and rules be damed and carry at work., If any thing went down on the job you couldn't reach the weapon on the bike.Where I used to work a x-employe from a different state terminal. walked into the office and open fire He killed 2 wounded 2 missed 1 and a friend of mine hide under her desk he didn't see her. It mess her up and she never returned to work. Still unarmed security at entrance only know you must show ID before entering Whoopie! I was on medical leave at the time this happened .Guy doing life with no get out of jail card.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Assistant Administrator
    ''Gun-free zones'' - they are so safe!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The smaller bike can present more of a problem. My main bike is a Harley FLHTCI with a lockable tour pack. When riding, I also carry OWB for primary and pocket for BUG. Concealment is usually a light weight denim shirt with or without leathers. I carry everyday to work as there is no security there.

The gun(s) get locked in my briefcase once I'm in my office. Only one other person at work knows I carry...and so does he! Firearms are against company policy...but dying is against my policy...only you can weigh that risk!!

I would never recommend leaving a firearm on your bike, like michael t said, ya never know who's watching! But if you absolutely have to, then don't leave it out of your sight.

If I have to go to some state mandated "gun-free zone" such as the post office (which by the way has metal detectors here), I simply wear the empty holster, but secure my gun & mags in a lockable storage box inside the locked tour pack before hand. I make that my first stop, park where I can see it, then discreetly arm myself when done. I try to never disarm in public...just to risky for public viewing.

Thank God Colorado has very few gun-free zones.

Tourist - Maybe this will be your year...shoulda been last!! Keep up the good fight!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

VIP Member
    A thread on motorcycles and Tourist wasn't the one who started it?

My former roomate ran out of gas late one night while she was out on her bike, and another motorcyclist stopped to assist her. She agreed to ride with him to the nearest gas station. He said as she was getting on, "If you feel something poking out from under my jacket, it's just my gun. I'm an off-duty police officer, so don't be frightened."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

While I'm usually not in favor of off-body carry, when on a bike I put the pistol in a small tank bag. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but if the bike and I ever had an unintended separation, I wouldn't want a chunk of metal pressing into my various soft bits as I slid down the road.

My bag, the Cortech Super-Mini has a small pocket in the front that's separate from the main compartment, so I don't have to worry about flashing the gun when getting other things out.

I'd also echo what others said about securing it. There really isn't a good way to secure a gun on a bike. I suppose the best would be inside a locked case that was secured inside a locked saddlebag, but I'd still be leery of that. I suppose it depends on how secure your parking area is at work. If it's a controlled access parking garage, you might be OK, but an open lot is a different story.

Another possibility would be to just lock the slide up on your bike and take the frame, or whichever part has the serial number and is considered the "firearm", with you. The frame itself might not be considered a firearm according to your work policies, and you wouldn't have to worry about giving a gun to some criminals if your bike was stolen. Generally, the non-serialized parts can be replaced pretty easily. Of course, standing in the parking lot, field stripping your pistol might draw a bit of attention. ;)

Mike
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

A thread on motorcycles and Tourist wasn't the one who started it
    Betty, talk about starting things! How come whenever there's spooky trouble around here we find two long hairs and the smell of Asian beef simmering?

"If you feel something poking out from under my jacket"
    Ah, yes, that was my favorite pick-up line in the 70's...

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Check this out, might be what your looking for.

http://sabergear.com/
    For God, Family and Country!

Administrator

Wink Let's add a Pic Here

Since you've already provided a link to their site.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There are some variables to consider. A lot has to do with your dress requirements. If you are going to M/C commute, I suppose you are in a casual work environment or wear a uniform. I carry just like I do when I am in the truck. I just pay attention to fastening my cover garment. The wind raises things up.

A tank bag is good, as is a currior bag. Do not lock the gun in your bike. Only you will be able to make a decision regarding carrying in work.

I believe at this point, learning to ride safely is far more important than considering how to carry your pistol. You are FAR more likely to crash than need to employ your pistol. For that reason I recommend off body carry untill this is achieved. I don't intend to flame, just keeping it real.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    i ride a 250 cc scooter and use a fanny pack. i can quickly remove the pack and store it in a lockable compartment under the seat. no-one sees the gun in the fanny pack. i can't take into work, it's a school. when the weather gets hot, i'm going to try a vest over a tee shirt with a high ride holster or maybe put the gun in a pocket on the vest.

Welcome, Old Gunner, from an old biker. We're going to have to teach these kids before our joints freeze up. I'm a Dyna rider.

I use a 250cc motor myself. It spins the generator for my lights.

(You now know my sense of humor.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links