Do you feel that CCW effects your "Lifestyle"?

This is a discussion on Do you feel that CCW effects your "Lifestyle"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Sure it affects my lifestyle but it does not define my lifestyle. DITTO....

View Poll Results: Is CCW a lifestyle

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

250 83.33%
  • No

38 12.67%
  • To new to CCW to tell

13 4.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel that CCW effects your "Lifestyle"?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sure it affects my lifestyle but it does not define my lifestyle.
    DITTO.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I spend too much time on line!
    Clothing hasn't changed much except for getting a vest and holsters.
    Carrying has to be planned out, mostly due to NC no weapon of any kind on school property rule.

It has changed me i guess. Deep concealment at work. No cover available. No more having a beer with the boss at lunch. I have to disarm a couple times a day.Trying to find the "Holy grail" of carry guns. One that won't poke and prod me everytime I try to hide it. I always looked at people so that's not new. I spend more time now cussing at holsters and my ever growing waist. All and all i've met some great people here and learned from them.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Mostly Sometimes choosing a fun event for the family that I can carry to over a trip to the local theaters, where I cannot. Not that we've sworn off movies, just the other option gets one extra vote. I'll also stop by home to gear up after work, instead of directly going places. I honestly don't like the hassle of carrying, but I can always hear you guys in my head :"carry always or guess right." I'm no good at guessing games.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Well I voted yes that CPL is a lifestyle. I have been carrying so long I can't understand why others don't carry. The CPL allows me to keep my pistol out of sight from other people, It also allows me to dress more comfortable. In the winter when I had to open carry because I never had a CPL it was difficult to keep the pistol from being hidden by the winter coat.

Now life is much easier, Washington State is actually an open carry state (although some Police don't realize it) So if My pistol should accidently get exposed it is not a bad thing, but now with a CPL I don't have to worry about it getting covered up.

In Washington You have to have a CPL if your pistol is hidden, not to carry one.

Yes, I plan my daily routine a little different to account for where I can or cannot carry, so by that standard CCW affects my lifestyle and my answer to the poll would have to be "yes". The thread topic, though, asks if you feel that CCW affects your lifestyle. I am not sure if it is more CCW has affected my lifestyle or if my lifestyle has influenced my decision to carry.

Others have mentioned maturing to a realization that you are your one and only first line of defense, and that realization is probably what better defines my lifestyle than CCW. I have always tried to avoid confrontations, alcohol, schools (just kidding), etc. Now I pay active attention to my surroundings in an effort to avoid dangerous situations, carry a cell phone because of its potential utility in emergencies (not so I can reach/be reached by anyone at any time), dress to not standout/attract attention (beyond just concealment of weapons), etc. This better awareness of "life" or "the world" to keep my loved ones and myself safe also led to the decision to get a CHP.

Hope this makes sense.

Hep

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    yes, I had to change my wardrobe spend money on things that I never spent money on before and I don’t go some places that I used to.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

It sure does especially in mind-set, i find myself paying alot more attention to things going on around me. Also how much time i spend learning the most i can about guns, laws & new laws, etc.. The classes that my wife & I have been taking, to learn to properly use them in a defensive situation (hopefully we dont have too though). But the biggest thing if had to change is my temper it can be bad & ive already had to hold my tongue more than once because i was carrying. I do believe though that its the most important hobby ive ever had...

I think it is a lifestyle and a mindset. Most certainly in contrast to the other sheeple.

While I have lived a defensive lifestyle, studied lethal force issues and such for approaching 3 decades now, we have only had ccw in my state a couple years and so as a ccw holder, my lifestyle has changed very little.

The main changes have been in the area's of clothing and keeping up with the laws in my state and the states to where I travel. Also my "spidey sense" has gone back up to the level of street sense I had when I first got into EMS working in the inner city.

Prior to CCW passing in Missouri, my street sense has slowly gotten a little lax over the years, as I have moved farther and farther from the city. Now that I have ccw, that level of alertness has gone back up significantly and my head is back in the game.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I actually asked my 16 year old daughter this question today after reading some of these posts. She said "Dad...you have carried a gun as long as I've been alive! Why would it bother me or why would I think you have changed? You're still the same ol' dad I've always known."

We talked some more and she asked me what I would do in a certain situation, and if I could kill another human being, and I told her "yes...if I had to."

She replied with "Well...I guess you gotta be that way when you're a policeman."

I answered back with, "Maybe I'm a policeman because I AM that way."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I answered back with, "Maybe I'm a policeman because I AM that way."

Well said.

CCW Life Changing

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Nope for the most part

Don't Do anything i didnt do before still dress like a bum in loose Cloths so that covers worrying about printing

Don't drink so Bars were never a issue

Go to sporting so rarely would rather watch it at home where nachos and a pop dont cost me 20$ so its not a issue

Never looked for trouble still don't

I pretty well keep to myself always have

Only thing that has changed is i stay aware of the Carry laws ..

One other thing having a CCW here makes it lot easier to buy a handgun so i guess that effects it to
    What Bud said+ I have bought a better belt, a C-TAC for my XD9sc and a pocket gun carry when I can not carry the XD9sc. Its a P32 Keltec. It did take several years of trying different gun and holsters. I also struggled with carrying all the time as opposed to just when I went somewhere that made me uneasy. I thought through how foolish that was and now carry all the time.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Clothing hasn't changed much here, but I have noticed one key difference. I am extremely aware of my surroundings. I am a deep concealed cover, therefore I have really only bought the holster and a good quality belt. All other items fit by using the deep concealed holsters.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I don't drink outside of the house anymore, and I read signs on doors now.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    CC _IS_ a lifestyle. Everywhere I go I think about whether I can bring the gun inside, every time I get dressed I think about how I'll hide the gun, every time I use the restroom I think about how to keep people from seeing it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links