CCW'ers that DON'T carry

This is a discussion on CCW'ers that DON'T carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother preceded me into the world of gun ownership, had his permit before I ever did, too. Now, having left Florida for Nantucket (MA), ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CCW'ers that DON'T carry

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My brother preceded me into the world of gun ownership, had his permit before I ever did, too.

Now, having left Florida for Nantucket (MA), he doesn't even have a FOID there (or whatever it is that they require to own/purchase guns).

Now, on Nantucket, there's not a real huge crime rate, that's understood. But I was pretty surprised to learn that the community up there is not all what you'd call upper-class whitebread. There's a working-class demographic, too, and they come from all over the map. I'm sure there's a crime rate there but it probably stays limited to that demographic, and I guess my brother doesn't miss owning guns too much or worry about crime affecting him there.

(It's not a stance that agree with or relish, but it's his choice.)

I'm not sure if he has kept his FL license current. Knowing him, probably not. I'd like to find out I'm wrong. When he lived here, he did carry, though.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    I know my Dad got his CCW permit at the same time I did, and he still leaves his Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec at home. Makes me kinda wonder why he even bothered to get he permit if he's not going to carry. I don't see the point in having a CCW permit if you're not going to carry. It'll just be something else to get in the way in your wallet. I on the other hand, carry as often as I can.
    Well, in my state you can't even buy a pistol without one. My Dad has his LTC. He's never carried.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

I got my CCW permit because my neighbor didn't want to take the class alone. I wasn't interested in carrying at the time mostly due to a bad temper & a short fuse. Now that the temper problem has been cured for several years, I carry regularly.

My wife and I both have our CCW, and we basically never carry in public. I only got mine so when I go hiking in the forest I can just throw my light p3at in my pocket holster and be legal. I got tired of slinging my rifle just for hikes.

I thought about carrying more often in the city, but it's too much of a hassle with all the restricted places (including where I work).

My dad has his Georgia Firearms License (GFL). He never carries.

He says that there are too many off-limits places, making carry inconvenient (a legitimate concern in GA). He also says he never goes anywhere where he feels like he needs a gun (not a legitimate concern, IMO).

I know a couple of his friends have their GFLs as well, but I don't know anything about their carry habits.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    My dad has his Georgia Firearms License (GFL). He never carries...

He also says he never goes anywhere where he feels like he needs a gun (not a legitimate concern, IMO)....

I never thought anyone would try to break into our apartment with a crowbar while we slept either ... but it happened! Luckily, I woke up before they made it inside and there was a shotgun within arm's reach. I didn't have to shoot that night but it sure made getting my permit my number one priority.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I never thought anyone would try to break into our apartment with a crowbar while we slept either ... but it happened!
    That's why I carry, even in the house, and my pistol is within arms reach while I sleep.

Amen brother.

That's why I carry, even in the house, and my pistol is within arms reach while I sleep.
    I have two very protective German shepherds that sleep by the front door inside our house, the shotgun is on my side of the bed, and my wifes S&W model 19 is in her nightstand. A break-in would get real interesting, real fast...

CCW

I have a friend who rarely carries. When I asked him, he said he only carries on road trips to S. Florida or something, and if he goes to some "bad area" locally. His choice, although not mine. Not quite sure I understand his logic. He's a fireman and leaves a pistol and a shotgun home for his wife when he's away on shift, though.

VIP Member
    Everyone I know with a ccw permit does not carry. I just found out another friend of mine has had his permit for 5 years, but we were in mixed company and didnt have the chance to ask him if he carried, but I bet he doesnt.
    My other friends only carry on road trips. They live in large cities and some how only feel the need to carry on a trip. I doubt they even own a conceal holster. I know for a fact one of them carries on a road trip, but when he gets out to get gas etc , he leaves the gun in the car. So I guess he's afraid of the interstate.
    What is it with road trips? Is it just that they are away from home and feel vulnerable? The "unknown gas stations"? Driving down the interstate? I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have a friend who rarely carries. When I asked him, he said he only carries on road trips to S. Florida or something, and if he goes to some "bad area" locally. His choice, although not mine. Not quite sure I understand his logic.
    Same here. This friend owns LOTS of guns, but only carries when he's going out of town.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Thumbs up

Dittos here!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

I carry on weekends and after work- my employer does not allow guns on the premises.

Like many of you, all of the folks that I know who have CCW permits don't carry all the time. Now they do typically own multiple weapons, have them strategically located in their homes, and carry them in the vehicle at all times when they travel. They just don't carry on their person. This includes my wife.

Heck, I've just recently started carrying on my person whenever I can. In addition to the usual reasons, I'm trying to demostrate to the wife that it can be done. She's fairly small and doesn't think there is enough space on her body to hide a weapon. I'm not convinced, especially if we got her the right gun. If I could just get her to keep one in her purse that would be a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately even I don't carry all the time (like now) because my job requires a lot of air travel so whenever I'm on the road I have to leave the gun at home.

Brian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links