CCW'ers that DON'T carry

This is a discussion on CCW'ers that DON'T carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you guys know others with a CCW who DON'T carry on a regular basis, if at all? Or maybe some of you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CCW'ers that DON'T carry

CCW'ers that DON'T carry

How many of you guys know others with a CCW who DON'T carry on a regular basis, if at all?

Or maybe some of you guys don't carry often yourselves.

I'm talking about situations where they COULD carry, i.e. not restricted.

And do you ever say anything to them, such as 'Why not?'

For example, the guy I took my CHL class with, (We even received our consecutively numbered licenses on the same day!). He doesn't carry much.

He didn't even know I was carrying until we went to the gun show and I disarmed to go in (30.06 posted).

I naturally assumed he would need to disarm too. But, nope, doesn't carry much.

I just gently reminded him that it's up to him, but his G27 is about much use as a concrete parachute sitting in his safe.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I know my Dad got his CCW permit at the same time I did, and he still leaves his Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec at home. Makes me kinda wonder why he even bothered to get he permit if he's not going to carry. I don't see the point in having a CCW permit if you're not going to carry. It'll just be something else to get in the way in your wallet. I on the other hand, carry as often as I can.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

i was talking to a guy at work that has is cpl about the process to get it and he said to me"your carry for a while but, eventually your realize it's not worth the hassle"!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Not worth the hassle? It only takes maybe 5 minutes to put on a belt, holster, and spare mags/speedloaders. That five extra minutes that I just spent putting on my gun, just may save my life one day.

5 minutes vs. eternity in a casket, I think I'll go for the 5 minutes thanks.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

it takes me about 2 seconds to slip my holster in my belt every day, and an extra 2 seconds every time i go to the bathroom.

wow

Maybe he really was carrying? lol

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If someone chooses to go to the trouble , time , and expense of getting a ccw and then chooses not to carry much , well that is thier right . I for one would much rather deal with them than the folks who just carry and break the law .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

A few of the guys I use to work with were like that. On the other hand, there were two guys I knew for a fact carried in the office contrary to office policy AND State law.

Personally, I've never considered gearing up to be a hassle at all. I think maybe the trick is to have at least a couple of carry guns to choose from, something "Service" sized for normal carry and something smaller for deeper concealment needs. Besides, I went through the time and expense to get my permit and weapons so, why would I NOT carry as often as possible?
    Jack

Even people with the permit who don't carry reduce crime - the BGs don't have a clue as as to who is a good victim and who could end their life of crime in a nanosecond.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

A guy I work with and his dad went through ccw with me said they mainly got it because they want to have a sidearm with them when they go deer hunting. In the cold weather they don't want conservation agents to hassle them if their coats end up concealing their handguns when out in the field.

I say, to each their own and don't hassle them over it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have friends that do not carry on a regular basis, but they still end up going to the range with me and practicing. Their use of the concealed permit gives them the ability to carry when going to the deer lease, and in rare times that they do not feel comfortable going without protection.

As it is his perogative, it is his call. I do feel safer as he has taken the time to educate himself, and then practices regularly so that if he ever had to use it, he would have both the knowledge and experience to use it properly.

While I carry all the time. I don't mind those who do not, I am just happy they got a permit. And I encourage those that I know to get a permit even if they don't plan on carrying for two reasons.

First, I tell them that if something does happen and suddenly feel the need to carry, or would like to, they have already gotten the 90 day wait out of way.

Second, the more people on the book that have permit, the less push we will get to change or repeal the law...well at least in theory anyway.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I took the CC class with my brother in law and I don't think he has ever carried.

I don't know what he was thinking.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Assistant Administrator
    This subject is one that has had some discussion in the past - I personally am dedicated and carry 16/7 - and wish everyone would all times and places legal.

That said I respect anyone's own decision of course and try and accept their rationale.

My rationale however is based on zero precognitive abilities ... despite being out not a whole lot compared to many. I want my piece to be in place at all times, just like my wrist watch. I do NOT ever, want to be in trouble I cannot avoid, reach down that one time and realize - oops I forgot.

How do we know when something will go down? We don't ... can't. So, if we have gone to the trouble of getting ''tooled up'' legally, why risk facing that scary time when it is not with you.

Each to his/her own - I accept that but strongly recommend all folks I know who can carry, to make their dedication as total as possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Heck carrying a firearm is a commitment.
    I guess some folks are not willing to make that commitment...for whatever personal reason.
    I'm hoping that Lady Luck keeps smiling upon them and they never need to curse themselves out for not having a firearm should they really need one.

I almost think it's best that they not carry if they are proving to be that nonchalant about it.
    Obviously then the necessary correct mindset is in the same place as the firearm.
    Which would be....Not There in the right place.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links