To tell, or not to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell, or not to tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To tell, or not to tell?

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

During WWII there was a slogan: "Loose lips sink ships". The concept is just as valid today. Discussing our interest in firearms in a general sense can be a positive thing. Some things are just too personal to discuss with others. Besides, I would prefer others relate to me solely on the basis of my [hopefully positive] character, not by what I carry.

VIP Member
    I don't tell anyone. A few family members know. Ya gotta be carefull who finds out, because some people like to tell other people, then other people tell other people, well you get the story.

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    ......... Anyone who I do tell, I make sure they know that I do not want them telling others..........
    Scott

.......don't count on that!!!!.....

(BTW, Hi from fellow Okie!)

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Discretion

For me - close family and close friends is about it - apart from fellow CCW's at gun club.
    +1

I define close family as my wife and my parents. No one else. Not even my siblings.

Friends? I have none that need to know I carry a weapon except those who CCW themselves.

Too much mentality and not enough time to explain it to them.

Yep, only immediate family and a few close friends. There are also 2 other people at work that know and that is because they are both CCW holders and we all have shot IDPA together. My work is somewhat conservative and being in management advertising of my hobby and decision to carry could create a little nervousness within the flock. We are unable to carry at work or even store weapons in our vehicles.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

Just my immediate family. We all work together so they have to know. I don't tell anyone else that I carry. My mother understands why, as we deal with cash all day long and usually have the funds on hand at the end of each day. She also knows that I have taken quite a bit of training and why I did. I especially dont let a customer know I carry, and I dont keep signs around the store like 'Protected by S&W' and what not. My .02.

SY

Quote Originally Posted by okracer View Post
    .......don't count on that!!!!.....

(BTW, Hi from fellow Okie!)

You can say that again. I told 4 of my closest friends when I got my CCW. I've known these guys for years and they all know I'm into guns. When I told them, I told them to keep it quiet. Well, three of them did. Unfortunately, once one of them told some of my other friends, word spread quickly, and now pretty much everyone I know knows that I carry.

I try to keep it as a "NEED TO KNOW" basis only! My wife knows, my parents know. My sister doesn't. A lot of friends assume! I am a tac medic on a swat team so again, a lot of people who know what I do assume. I don't confirm to anyone I don't feel NEEDS To Know!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wife, Dad, Mom, my Sheriff friend, and people I know through IDPA, I never bring it up but they know I might be carrying.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I try to keep it as a "NEED TO KNOW" basis only! My wife knows, my parents know. My sister doesn't. A lot of friends assume! I am a tac medic on a swat team so again, a lot of people who know what I do assume. I don't confirm to anyone I don't feel NEEDS To Know!
    What do you say when a friend asks a direct question whether you are carrying? Somehow, "you don't have a need to know" doesn't seem appropriate.

Assistant Administrator
    Not the ideal answer for ''are you carrying'' ......... but makes me think of.

"That's for me to know and you to find out". Keep em guessing sometimes. It's a polite way of saying .... "Mind your own bleep business"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I'd keep it to myself if I were you, or at least in the family.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't tell everyone I know, but I'm not afraid to tell my friends. Also during conversation with friendly aquaintances, If the opportunity arises to promote the 2nd in a rational and intelligent sounding manner, I take it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    What do you say when a friend asks a direct question whether you are carrying? Somehow, "you don't have a need to know" doesn't seem appropriate.

I've said this once before... "None of your business, and if you ask me again we won't be hanging out much anymore"

It seemed to get the point across.

Now, I have been out with friends who are LEO's and if they ask, I will usually tell them yes. Usually they want to know because I become the designated driver by default if I'm packing!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links