To tell, or not to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell, or not to tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 70

Thread: To tell, or not to tell?

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array semperfi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Over here now!
    Posts
    3,615
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    New Member Array Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4
    During WWII there was a slogan: "Loose lips sink ships". The concept is just as valid today. Discussing our interest in firearms in a general sense can be a positive thing. Some things are just too personal to discuss with others. Besides, I would prefer others relate to me solely on the basis of my [hopefully positive] character, not by what I carry.

  4. #18
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    I don't tell anyone. A few family members know. Ya gotta be carefull who finds out, because some people like to tell other people, then other people tell other people, well you get the story.

  5. #19
    New Member Array okracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    OKLA
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    ......... Anyone who I do tell, I make sure they know that I do not want them telling others..........
    Scott

    .......don't count on that!!!!.....

    (BTW, Hi from fellow Okie!)

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Discretion

    For me - close family and close friends is about it - apart from fellow CCW's at gun club.
    +1

    I define close family as my wife and my parents. No one else. Not even my siblings.

    Friends? I have none that need to know I carry a weapon except those who CCW themselves.

    Too much mentality and not enough time to explain it to them.

  7. #21
    Member Array devo6684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    141
    Yep, only immediate family and a few close friends. There are also 2 other people at work that know and that is because they are both CCW holders and we all have shot IDPA together. My work is somewhat conservative and being in management advertising of my hobby and decision to carry could create a little nervousness within the flock. We are unable to carry at work or even store weapons in our vehicles.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

  8. #22
    Member Array Arkhangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    296
    Just my immediate family. We all work together so they have to know. I don't tell anyone else that I carry. My mother understands why, as we deal with cash all day long and usually have the funds on hand at the end of each day. She also knows that I have taken quite a bit of training and why I did. I especially dont let a customer know I carry, and I dont keep signs around the store like 'Protected by S&W' and what not. My .02.

    SY

  9. #23
    Member Array SloMo228's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by okracer View Post
    .......don't count on that!!!!.....

    (BTW, Hi from fellow Okie!)

    You can say that again. I told 4 of my closest friends when I got my CCW. I've known these guys for years and they all know I'm into guns. When I told them, I told them to keep it quiet. Well, three of them did. Unfortunately, once one of them told some of my other friends, word spread quickly, and now pretty much everyone I know knows that I carry.

  10. #24
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    I try to keep it as a "NEED TO KNOW" basis only! My wife knows, my parents know. My sister doesn't. A lot of friends assume! I am a tac medic on a swat team so again, a lot of people who know what I do assume. I don't confirm to anyone I don't feel NEEDS To Know!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  11. #25
    Member Array Protect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    302
    Wife, Dad, Mom, my Sheriff friend, and people I know through IDPA, I never bring it up but they know I might be carrying.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

  12. #26
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I try to keep it as a "NEED TO KNOW" basis only! My wife knows, my parents know. My sister doesn't. A lot of friends assume! I am a tac medic on a swat team so again, a lot of people who know what I do assume. I don't confirm to anyone I don't feel NEEDS To Know!
    What do you say when a friend asks a direct question whether you are carrying? Somehow, "you don't have a need to know" doesn't seem appropriate.

  13. #27
    Assistant Administrator
    Array P95Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    South West PA
    Posts
    25,482
    Not the ideal answer for ''are you carrying'' ......... but makes me think of.

    "That's for me to know and you to find out". Keep em guessing sometimes. It's a polite way of saying .... "Mind your own bleep business"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."


    http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

  14. #28
    Lead Moderator
    Array rstickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Laurel, MD
    Posts
    21,700
    I'd keep it to myself if I were you, or at least in the family.
    Rick

    EOD - Initial success or total failure

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    I don't tell everyone I know, but I'm not afraid to tell my friends. Also during conversation with friendly aquaintances, If the opportunity arises to promote the 2nd in a rational and intelligent sounding manner, I take it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  16. #30
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    What do you say when a friend asks a direct question whether you are carrying? Somehow, "you don't have a need to know" doesn't seem appropriate.

    I've said this once before... "None of your business, and if you ask me again we won't be hanging out much anymore"

    It seemed to get the point across.

    Now, I have been out with friends who are LEO's and if they ask, I will usually tell them yes. Usually they want to know because I become the designated driver by default if I'm packing!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry who to tell
,

pelican computer

,
tell people you conceal carry
,
telling others that your concealed carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.