To tell, or not to tell? - Page 3

To tell, or not to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell, or not to tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Letting friends know you carry should be done with the greatest of caution. Your friend could get himself involved in a disagreement or fight and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To tell, or not to tell?

Letting friends know you carry should be done with the greatest of caution. Your friend could get himself involved in a disagreement or fight and tell the guy who is his opponent that you carry. You could find yourself in a mess of trouble.

My wife and children know. That's it.

My brother and sister do not know. Neither do my friends or co-workers.

"Two people can keep a secret, so long as one of them is dead."

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I am not shy about letting people know I carry, and have had no problems at all.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

It's a personal choice. I see it as a very private thing. I keep it secret-

1. I dont care to have discussions about self preservation or when its right to use. You know the idiot who ask the LEO "So whats it like to kill somebody?" with that stupid expectant grin.

2. You talk to people and work gets around that you have a "house full of guns" and somebody decides you have the best house to rob.

3. If I want to talk about guns... I come here!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

My philosophy is...

"Tell those whom you trust. Let everyone else guess."
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I limited who I told to include only those that I could trust, if something was going down, not to say " You have a gun, why don't you do something?"

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    My philosophy is...

"Tell those whom you trust. Let everyone else guess."
    +1!!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

The Element of Suprise is Half the Battle Won.
    I dont have a P3AT Mouse Gun
    or a G23,,,

Or do I ?

I find this thread interesting...

Someone new to Concealed Carry could get the impression from all the "I don't tell anyone" responses, that we (a collective we, as in those who do choose to exercise our 2A rights) are almost, ashamed of our exercising of our rights..and don't want anyone to know.

Don't take that wrong.. I fully understand the complications that can come from the wrong people knowing (losing your job because an anti at work made a stink, friends acting out thinking you're gonna 'protect' them, etc..). I'm just surprised by the number of people who say they wouldn't (or haven't) even told their whole family.

I find myself in agreement with Timmy Jimmy.. I'm not planning on treating the fact that I carry (once the county gets me my permit that is) like a national secret. I think more pro-2A stuff can come from people finding out that 'normal folk' are carrying legally. It would (in my opinion) allow more opportunities for "conversion" of those on the fence about carrying, and guns (no hope for most of the antis, so the fence sitters are the best shot for converting to the 2A cause).

I don't let anyone know. Imagine that you are with you friend who knows that you carry, and you get into a situation where you are face to face with a BG. Your friend freaks out and says "pull your gun"! Not a good situation. This removes any element of suprise on your part.

for me, 2 close friends, one of which woke me up to ccw.
    My parents also know. Thats it. No one else needs to know.
    Oh and the hug low comment someone else made is the truth
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

All My Friends Know...

But then I'm not really a friendly guy...few friends...lots of associates!

Stay armed...shhhhhhhh!...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Given today's anti-gun press and the entitlement attitude that says the government and authority figures will solve all your problems, I'd say "loose lips sink ships." While the person you tell may be OK, someone may overhear and that someone may be the pants-wetter that you don't need to be harassed by, or may 'share' the info with people that can cause genuine trouble ...legal or not. I remember a case where a guy in a mall didn't conceal well enough (reached up and his holster showed underneath his sweatshirt) ...the darn place panicked, cops, the whole thing ...and then he was let go 'cuz he was legal. Want that? Want the one bad guy in the room to know it's you he should shoot first? Concealed guns should be invisible and secret. Do your bragging behind closed doors at the gun club. Heck, I don't even tell those guys and the club has a policy that says concealed weapons must remain totally concealed when on the property (why is that?)

Brian

Senior Moderator
    I work at a gun shop. I get a lot of questions about carry guns and carry methods and laws, it's hard to have credibility there and not have a gun on your hip.

Also, while we are not allowed to open carry behind the gun counter we can and do open carry when we are on range duty.

It lets the punks know that we have guns to and we probably know more than they do and we WILL return fire if we feel we need to.

However, maybe because I'm a female or because I'm just THAT good at concealment or because I'm a "girlie" girl who still likes to look cute and feminine whether I'm working at the shop or not, a lot of people are still shocked to find out that I carry.

Most of the time the reason it becomes known is because someone starts arguing with me telling me that no one can conceal a .45 because it's "just too big."

At which point I turn around and lift up my shirt and smile.

They say, "NO WAY! That is NOT a .45"

"Yes it is."

"Wow!"

It's an eye-opener for the newbies and I think a good one.

One guy was telling me that he wanted to get a .380 or 9mm for his wife even though she wanted something bigger.

I told him to get what she wanted, that concealing larger calibers was not hard.

He said, "How do you know? What do you carry?"

I said, "A 3 inch Kimber 1911 in .45."

He looked me over from head to toe and said, "Now, where does a tiny little thing like you conceal a 1911 .45?"

I pulled my shirt back and showed him my shoulder holster.

His eyes got about three sizes bigger and he said, "Oh.. that's where. I had NO idea you were even carrying."

Like I said, it's kind of expected that I carry where I work and I wouldn't go to work without it. However, there are certainly places and people that I would not like to know that I'm armed.

In my mind it's kind of like talking about religion or politics. There are certain people you can talk to about that stuff and certain people you don't want to.

Sometimes when you venture out and take a chance you find a friend and someone who shares your opinions and thoughts, sometimes you get an angry person yelling at you for being stupid and foolish. Sometimes you just keep your mouth shut and keep the peace..

But that's just Lima theory.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    ...In my mind it's kind of like talking about religion or politics. There are certain people you can talk to about that stuff and certain people you don't want to.

Sometimes when you venture out and take a chance you find a friend and someone who shares your opinions and thoughts, sometimes you get an angry person yelling at you for being stupid and foolish. Sometimes you just keep your mouth shut and keep the peace..

But that's just Lima theory.

You hit the nail right on the head with your last couple of statements.

Very good post Lima... as per usual!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links