To tell, or not to tell? - Page 4

To tell, or not to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell, or not to tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel that the list of people who you allow to know you carry a gun should be exceedingly short. It's a "need-to-know" thing, and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: To tell, or not to tell?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I feel that the list of people who you allow to know you carry a gun should be exceedingly short. It's a "need-to-know" thing, and very very few people need to know.

There are many problems that can arise from the other people knowing. There are not many benefits to be gained from other people knowing. Make yourself a list of who you would tell, and then a sublist of what the pros and cons of that person knowing would be.

If you feel your EGO entering into the decision to tell anyone (i.e. impress a girl, impress a buddy, etc.) then that person goes onto the DON'T-tell list.

If there is not a compelling reason why someone must know (and I think that safety would have to be involved in the necessity), then he/she should not be told.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okracer View Post
    Originally Posted by scott4957
    ......... Anyone who I do tell, I make sure they know that I do not want them telling others..........
    Scott

.......don't count on that!!!!.....

Amen! My story is not exactly the same, but when my (now ex) girlfriend learned that I carry, before I thought to tell her not to blab it, she told me a story of how she mentioned it to a co-worker (a chick who's pretty cool), and the co-worker's eyes flew wide and she yelled out, "He carries a BI***?!"

I got a good chuckle out of the story, actually, but had to insist to my girlfriend that it's a personal matter and not safe to divulge to anyone else, and would she please not do that again.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I have discussed CC with others but to the best of my knowledge no one knows that I carry everyday other then my 18 year old daughter and I am not sure she realizes that I am always armed. I have a very good friend that I have discussed it with. He just applied for his CCL. He is a gun guy from way back and will probably carry every day. I don’t think he realizes to what extent I carry. I don’t figure anyone needs to know that I carry.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    What do you say when a friend asks a direct question whether you are carrying? Somehow, "you don't have a need to know" doesn't seem appropriate.
    Perhaps a good answer is "Sometimes, but no one needs to know when those times are but me."

About half of my family knows, most of my close friends and NO ONE at work!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

It's called "concealed carry" for a reason - it's supposed to be a secret

I don't tell anyone I'm carrying.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by scott4957 View Post
    ... what are peoples opinions about others knowing you carry?
    Guns are a funny subject. In general, many will use the knowledge against you, or shun you, or word will leak to folks you'd prefer not know, whether you think them above such nonsense or not.

Ask yourself: why does a given person truly need to know? If there's no seriously compelling reason, then all you're doing is adding to your own risk.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your status should be "Need to know" and 99% of the people you come in contact with probably DON'T. jmo

Thanks
    MikeV

jmc
    Besides this forum and one other forum I frequent with a different user name, the only people that know I carry are my wife and a friend at work (who also carries.) All of my family and most of my friends KnoW I own guns however.

I may let my father in on it when I see him during July 4th. For all I know, he carries too.
    Last edited by jmc; June 8th, 2007 at 02:19 PM.
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

JD
    Administrator

Who knows?

My immediate supervisor at work knows, as a CYA, as long as it's legal the company doesn't have a problem with it. The only time I've had to draw as while I was on the clock. Everyone at work knows I'm "Into guns" as I have most of my parts and Brownells catalogs sent there. Lucky enough most of us are prior service and are shooters to some extent.

Most of my family knows.

A few select friends and that's it.

My neighbor probably has a good inkling of the fact seeing as how it always seems he's in the hall when I'm laden down with rifle cases and an ammo box on the way to the range.

Then again the last time he saw such gear it was the Pelican case and he assumed it was a guitar and asked if I had been out rocking and rolling...I replied with YUP!

Only good friends, my Dad and unfortunatly a few of the guys from work(but only because the gun debate comes up a lot) other than that I don't let anyone know.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    My 18 year old daughter knows I carry everywhere I go. She sees my gun sitting on my desk ( where my computer is ) everytime I am sitting here. She wants to get her permit in 3 years. I dont believe she's told any of her friends.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but Bill Clinton's policy on gays in the military applies well here: don't ask, don't tell.

My wife and my brother know and that's about it.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

I like working where I do. When I get in in the morning I take it out of the holster and put it on my desk next to my monitor.

All good points, thanks everyone for giving your stories and opinions, I'll take it all into consideration! For the most part I feel the same way, only close friends and family, and not until there is a reason to say so. But I have noticed that open discussion helps, my wife was a little weird with the fact that I wanted to carry, she just thought it was a gun safety course, but since we have been talking about it for a few weeks, she really wants to carry as well. We are going to a gun show in fact, that she suggested, and she is excited about a full auto shoot we are going to as well. I'm going to look at getting her a pistol at the show. Thanks again guys, this is a great board!

Scott

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links