To tell, or not to tell?

To tell, or not to tell?

This is a discussion on To tell, or not to tell? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently applied for my CC in Oklahoma, and bought a new carry gun. My question is, what are peoples opinions about others knowing ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: To tell, or not to tell?

To tell, or not to tell?

I just recently applied for my CC in Oklahoma, and bought a new carry gun. My question is, what are peoples opinions about others knowing you carry? I don't carry yet, as I have not received my license, but I have carefully chosen who I tell and who I do not. In a way, I would like to openly discuss it with everyone I know, in hopes that others will decide to carry, but some, as I once was, look at it in a different light. I feel it is private, and should be kept that way, but if you know others who enjoy firearms, but do not carry I feel it should be talked about in hopes of getting others to carry. Then there are people who you know would disapprove, so I would keep it to my self. Anyone who I do tell, I make sure they know that I do not want them telling others. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Scott

I say mums the word. Discussion of CCW'ing is one thing but divulging is another all together.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I am awaiting my licsense also, but ahve decided to only talk about it if it is brought up. I do not wish for those around me to really ever know if I have it on or not. I know that my parents and girlfriend know that I have my permit (well not yet) but I do not plan on telling them when I am carrying or not.

It's nobody else's business.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Keep it quiet, thats why its called concealed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I'm currently working out of state, which honors my CCW from Oklahoma, there are two of us on this trip but we are from different work sites...I cannot carry at work because it is a Federal LE building that I'm in, I do carry outside of work and I have no intentions of telling my coworker. And as far as I know, he has no clue that I carry. Lets me know I'm doin a good job of concealment A few select friends back home know that I have a CCW permit, but I do not tell them if I am carrying and they know not to ask.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Assistant Administrator
    Discretion

For me - close family and close friends is about it - apart from fellow CCW's at gun club.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I'm an instructor for CHP, so...I'm outed in my area. My partner and I just ask the students not to approach us and ask us questions that give us away to the general public and so on. You know the , "Hey Scott what are you packing today?" really loud at the grocery store type deal.

Not something I'll typically initiate conversation on with people I don't know, but I will jump right in if it's brought up.

Were I not an instructor I would keep it to myself.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    I've learned the hard way... I no longer tell ANYONE!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Close Friends/Fellow carriers. Almost all of my friends carry, so its no secret between us. However outside them, we don't discuss it. Even in public or at the range. Most of them have not even told their familys they carry while they are away at college.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

i realize that i am new, but my $0.02 is that i would tell no one. the sign that is my avatar is in my store and people ask :man like you got a gun abck there?" and my reply is simply and only "what good would a gun back there do me?" and that is the most. however most of my friends that are close know that i do carry at work as i do own the business and would never hesitate to use it for one or moer BG'd came in. we actually have had a huge problem with cellular stores getting robbed here in Grand Rapids. anyway sorry about rambling on.......Done|

VIP Member
    Silence is Golden! Beside you will avoid to answer "Why do you need to carry? question and the "My boyfriend/girlfriend has a gun and will shoot you" events.

When meeting old friends and relatives remember: Hug Low
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I've been carrying concealed for over 40 years. During that time I have developed a very, very firm philosophy. Tell no one that you carry! Concealed means concealed and a large part of that is NOT telling people that you are carrying. Keep quiet
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The military teaches a layered principle of defense.
    Knowledge is always the first layer.
    Do not surrender this layer of defense!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

The people that know I carry that are not on this board are my wife (and she doesn't necessarily know when) and a few LEOs I used to work with. I can probably count them on one hand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links