Where to find MI Info - Page 2

Where to find MI Info

This is a discussion on Where to find MI Info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually I like to go here, every thing is on line, you just have to type in the correct search words. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ve3...aspx?page=home...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to find MI Info

Actually I like to go here, every thing is on line, you just have to type in the correct search words. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ve3...aspx?page=home
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

For the OP:

http://www.accesskent.com/YourGovern...ks_weapons.htm

Just below the Concealed Weapons License information is a link to the Michigan State Police firearms info. Everything you need to know should be located there. Helped me out a ton when I went for mine on the other side of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Also note, Michigan is an open carry state, so you don't need a permit to carry openly.

Eric
    Open carry in MI? I've heard that it is legal, but don't try it!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Open carry in MI? I've heard that it is legal, but don't try it!

ret
    Been open carrying on any land that I own, for quite a few years now, open carry in my truck too, so you just have to choose wisely where. But the subject was can I carry in my business, N the thread has wandered a bit. (113 days)
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

open carry is legal but i sure wouldnt suggest it. you will have calls in to the police every two minutes.
    also i wouldnt suggest advertising in any way that you have a gun.
    that may keep a few bad guys from trying something. might also just tell the bad guys to come armed with a gun instead of a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Been open carrying on any land that I own, for quite a few years now, open carry in my truck too, so you just have to choose wisely where. But the subject was can I carry in my business, N the thread has wandered a bit. (113 days)

Indeed the thread has wandered. RE: open carry in your vehicle, I believe that is specifically covered as a no-no under the transport of a loaded firearm law. Not sure even if your MI CPL covers that.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
    for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
    any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
    of the following:
    (a) Taken down.
    (b) Enclosed in a case.
    (c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

The exception here is "as permitted by law". If a valid CPL is possesed, it's legal to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Nowhere are there locations specified. Open carry is legal in MI, so it can be in plain view.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Nextlevelcell, for what its worth, it took me about 5 weeks from application turn-in to gun board appearance here in Kent County.

A friend's process in Kent took almost 10 weeks, though.

Good luck with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    When seconds count, remember the cops are only minutes away.

Ahh, Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
    for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
    any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
    of the following:
    (a) Taken down.
    (b) Enclosed in a case.
    (c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

The exception here is "as permitted by law". If a valid CPL is possesed, it's legal to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Nowhere are there locations specified. Open carry is legal in MI, so it can be in plain view.
    And I (as was the wife N oldest daughter) were some of the first to line up for one, we fought long and hard for our shall issue and I wanted mine before I got any grayer. (112) Open carry is legal but not too many are aware of it, or the Police too receptive if you were to walk into say Walmart, or Sears. There has been quite a number of discussions on numerous forums about this, I just wish it was as open carry friendly as Arizona is that place is a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by nextlevelcell View Post
    ecbaatz;
    open carry??? as far as my home and business? i am assuming that is what your are referring to. correct?
    No, the entire state is open carry. Would not recommend it places like detroit but it is. And best of all no permit is required. What makes things difficult is when you get in your car, then it is considered concealed even if it is exposed. Then you need your CPL.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    What makes things difficult is when you get in your car, then it is considered concealed even if it is exposed. Then you need your CPL.

Eric
    Thats Right! I knew there was something about "in a car." Anyway, I was still wrong, the CPL covers that then.

thanks for all of the great posts. however i am more lost now then ever. i will try and clear up a few things.

I have no CCW or CPL or whatever......just a hard working guy with a gun..

so my question is basically. with no CCW as of yet, then can i carry in my business. from what i understand yes. i do so concealed. and also at my home, same applies...???

Quote Originally Posted by nextlevelcell View Post
    so my question is basically. with no CCW as of yet, then can i carry in my business. from what i understand yes. i do so concealed. and also at my home, same applies...???
    See you did learn something, and you correctly answered your own question and open carry is allowed too, now go out there and be safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links