Defensive Carry banner

Where to find MI Info

3K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Sheldon J 
#1 ·
I am in Grand Rapids MI.
I am wondering where I can find info or what law it is that allows me as a business owner to carry my firearm in my store without a CCW. I will be getting it soon as I have finished the class last year however I would like to find that document so i can print it and hang it up or put it on display!

Thanks!
Next Level

#4 ·
A business owner's premises and property are treated the same as his home. No permit is needed.

#9 · (Edited)
True. It's not so much a law that says you can. But there is a some laws that say where you can't carry concealed or otherwise. Your home and business is specifically excluded. (that is, they are not on the no-no list)

That said, never take legal advice from strangers, read - no -STUDY the laws yourself, or better yet, spring for a quick lawyer consult. And definately get that permit.

#7 ·
It's called Michigan Castle law, you have a right to defend any place you are legally allowed to be, and I would guess that your business is on that list.

#8 ·
Open Carry

Also note, Michigan is an open carry state, so you don't need a permit to carry openly.

Eric

#10 ·
again all i have to say is "I LOVE THIS PLACE!" you guys are great. such quick responses and no noob flaming either. I am wondering is every state like this? or would it just be for home use type of a thing? also as a side note. What about carrying at home/on property? i am within city limits, so do not know if that matters or not. say as a example. mowing the grass or something and carrying then?

thanks again everyone for the info!:hand10:

#12 ·
Let's see... I open carry when ever I am out in my yard, mowing or otherwise, at my farm, and at my apartment building working in the yard or in the building, so... carry on literally.

#26 ·
ecbaatz;
open carry??? as far as my home and business? i am assuming that is what your are referring to. correct?
No, the entire state is open carry. Would not recommend it places like detroit but it is. And best of all no permit is required. What makes things difficult is when you get in your car, then it is considered concealed even if it is exposed. Then you need your CPL.

Eric

#20 ·
open carry is legal but i sure wouldnt suggest it. you will have calls in to the police every two minutes.
also i wouldnt suggest advertising in any way that you have a gun.
that may keep a few bad guys from trying something. might also just tell the bad guys to come armed with a gun instead of a knife.

#22 ·
750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

The exception here is "as permitted by law". If a valid CPL is possesed, it's legal to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Nowhere are there locations specified. Open carry is legal in MI, so it can be in plain view.

#25 ·
750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

The exception here is "as permitted by law". If a valid CPL is possesed, it's legal to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. Nowhere are there locations specified. Open carry is legal in MI, so it can be in plain view.
And I (as was the wife N oldest daughter) were some of the first to line up for one, we fought long and hard for our shall issue and I wanted mine before I got any grayer. (112) Open carry is legal but not too many are aware of it, or the Police too receptive if you were to walk into say Walmart, or Sears. There has been quite a number of discussions on numerous forums about this, I just wish it was as open carry friendly as Arizona is that place is a hoot.

#23 ·
Nextlevelcell, for what its worth, it took me about 5 weeks from application turn-in to gun board appearance here in Kent County.

A friend's process in Kent took almost 10 weeks, though.

Good luck with it.

#28 ·
thanks for all of the great posts. however i am more lost now then ever. i will try and clear up a few things.

I have no CCW or CPL or whatever......just a hard working guy with a gun..

so my question is basically. with no CCW as of yet, then can i carry in my business. from what i understand yes. i do so concealed. and also at my home, same applies...???

#29 ·
so my question is basically. with no CCW as of yet, then can i carry in my business. from what i understand yes. i do so concealed. and also at my home, same applies...???
See you did learn something, and you correctly answered your own question and open carry is allowed too, now go out there and be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.