Been compromised in public?

This is a discussion on Been compromised in public? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have any of you been in a public place and had a holster mishap or dropped your piece? I'm waiting on a new Crossbreed, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Have any of you been in a public place and had a holster mishap or dropped your piece? I'm waiting on a new Crossbreed, and for the time being, I am using one of those soft Uncle Mikes IWB. I went to Wal Mart to pick up a few things to keep in my hotel room and I was just casually walking along pushing my cart and went to pull up my shorts a bit and then it happened...the holster actually came loose and the only thing holding it in place was my arm held against my side......I was starting to get nervous, well I was with a coworker, and I he does not know that I CC, we are from different work sites, just met him on this trip and decided not to tell him.

Well, I told him that I was gonna go to the rest room and that I'd meet up with him....so I calmly made my way to the restrooms, hopefully not looking to strange with my arm against my side and hand in my pocket....I was able to adjust the holster and everything was good...but boy was I nervous...I just didn't want to drop it on the floor. Has anything like this happened to any of you guys or gals? What did you do?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Yep. The same happened to me with the same holster. It hold the gun pretty good, but that clip is nearly worthless. You're gonna love that crossbreed.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I think it is fair to say it happens to everyone, especially at first.
    The real measure of the man is how he handles it, it sounds like you did just fine.
    I've had a few unintentional 'flashes', usually when loading lumber on my truck or something like that... TN doesn't legislate against showing a holstered gun though, I could open carry if so desired.

Assistant Administrator
    I compromized self gassing up first year of carry.

Shirt was inside rig instead of outside covering. Gassed up and thought guy on next pump was viewing my truck - same as his. I then walzed into office to pay - not realizing I was showing.

Only when getting back in my truck did I realize. Nearly wondered if ''man with a gun'' had gotten called in!

No gun drops yet - despite two quite amusing tumbles ... (flat on butt type) ... but gun stayed put.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Hasn't happened; but, I think about it and carry secure enough that it probably won't.

Lead Moderator
    Once dropped my HK USP in my driveway. don't think the neighbors saw, but it really was a bad feeling to see it hit pavement.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Haven't had a gun drop, but pretty close. I too have an Uncle Mikes IWB and am waiting on a K&D Defender. Man I cant wait. I dispise this holster.
    I carry a 642 and several times after getting out of the car, about the time I get up to the door of where I'm going, it rides high like the gun is going to come out. I've heard of the plastic clips on the Uncle Mikes, I have a metal one that holds pretty good. The holster has never come out, the gun wants to come out of the holster.

My shirt tail rode up over the butt in the car and left the gun visible in a fast food restaraunt. I fellow diner told some cops who happened to be eating there. See more detail in my post "Got Made at Arby's" in this forum.

I haven't yet. Having said that I fully expect to drop mine at Home Depot tomorrow!

Sponsor
    Mine was also in an uncle mikes style nylon IWB. The clip held but I was changing a flat and the gun actual worked out of the holster and dropped on the side of the road! No one saw and Ohio doesn't legislate against "flash" but it was the last time I used that POS holster. I make my own Kydex rigs now and I have a K&D Cochise Defender on order for my primary.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

In 15 years or so I have had one incident. I was getting out of the Jeep and my shirt had ridden up over my gun. When I realized it(only moments out of the door I noticed an elderly gentleman in a truck that was looking at me. I smiled, waved and got right back in the Jeep and went home. Man was I embarrassed.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Heh, interesting to see this up today. Today, while walking from my car to a resturaunt, the wind blew my shirttail up enough to expose my Uncle Mike's IWB (is there a pattern here?) and the grip of my XD. I don't know how long it was exposed, as I didn't notice until I was nearly at the door of the building.

There were people who might have seen, but I don't know if I was spotted.

I don't think my one experience really counts, but today I was doing some trimming with an electric trimmer, rounded the corner of the house and finished the whole side before I realized the extension was very easy to pull. It had gotten wedged between me and my IWB PX4 and had pulled my shirt over the grip. I live on a corner with a stop sign across the street, I just hope no one noticed. Oh, I was using a Comp-Tac ProUndercover and it did its job perfectly, though I was not very professional with it.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Never flashed in public, have to be cognizant of your clothing and equipment...Now, as I say this I will do something stupid and get nailed for it..You just hope for the best I reckon. I too am anxiously awaiting my K&D for my Kimber, expect a nice setup from Kevin.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Yep. The same happened to me with the same holster. It hold the gun pretty good, but that clip is nearly worthless. You're gonna love that crossbreed.
    Yeah, the clip sucks...Oh I can't wait, I had a Crossbreed for a Sig P245 and I really liked it, so I'm anxious to get it...I am trying the quick clip this time.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links