College carry is out, what about leaving it in the car?

This is a discussion on College carry is out, what about leaving it in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any college or university facility unless ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College carry is out, what about leaving it in the car?

College carry is out, what about leaving it in the car?

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile"
    http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...0790/Sec06.HTM

That pretty much eliminates any hope for carry on college campuses. Question I have is am I allowed to leave it in my car in the parking lot? I hit class 1st thing in the morning, then go to work immediately after so if I can't legally have it in my car on campus, then I'm pretty well screwed for the entire day. The wording carry a concealed weapon or firearm into makes it sound like it only forbids carrying it inside a building. Anybody know how this breaks down in Florida?

2. Remove Ads

not sure about FL but here in nevada the college "campus" includes any buildings, parking lots, and grounds belonging to the school
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."--Sigmund Freud

Sorry, it does include anywhere ON the campus...

For OTHER times, you should look into Center-of-Mass safes...great for those times when you have to leave some valuables in the car...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I asked my boss at the university where I work and he said having guns in the parking lot was OK. Not sure if that was an official policy statement or not, or just thinking out loud on his part. The buildings themselves have 'no guns' signs on them.

As far as concealing goes, I'll just point out that no bad guys ever shoot up police stations or the lobby at the jail house. Why not? They shoot up places with 'safe zones', e.g. places with no guns. Just a coincidence, I'm sure. And lastly, I'll just say that I remember the days when concealed meant 'really concealed' because it wasn't legal to carry ...yet some people figure it's a human right to be able to protect yourself and that equal force is fair and make their own decisions on such things.

Brian
    Last edited by conservaDude; June 8th, 2007 at 12:59 AM.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    In Florida it is up to the individual campus whether or not you can keep it in your car. Carry is out of the question though. I'm in the same boat.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

If you do find out it's ok to keep it in your car... I would most definitely invest in a small locking safe that can be mounted to the vehicle or secured with a cable to seat frame.

Cars are prime targets for people getting stereo's, CD's, MP3 players and other things stolen from car sitting in parking lots all day.

If your gun is just sitting in a center console or locked in a flimsy glove compartment, your gun may end up being stolen as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Here in Ohio we've got the prevision that allows us to store inside of our vehicle. It's nice, but keeping it on me instead would be so much nicer.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I've looked into this elsewhere, and all rules I've seen consider the parking lot part of the school grounds. Even if legally okay, if you are affiliated with the school as a student or employee, you'd likely be expelled or fired if caught.

Here in CT there is no law against carrying on a college campus, but there is an executive order issued by our former (and recently released from prison) governor that prevents state employees or contractors from carrying on state property, and as a graduate student who teaches at a public university, I am a 'state employee'.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sorry, it does include anywhere ON the campus...
    That's been my experience. If you're in the parking lot you're in as much jeopardy as within the building. Exercise extreme caution.

I always park off campus...and as close as I can to campus. My gun gets locked in the car. Crime is pretty low here and I am not worried about my car getting broken into on busy street and with the car alarm.
    Not worth getting expelled after 4 years in grad school.
    I carry a pocket knife and pepper spray. There are no rules as far as I know about those. Better than nothing IMO.
    Kind of pisses me off that I live in vermont where there are very few rules yet the university tells me I can't have a gun while the state doesnt care.
    Hmm...
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

jmc
    I'm going to have to check out Mississippi law. I think it's okay to have it in your car;definatley not okay to carry though.
    Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am) but I stripped out the extra stuff that doesn't apply to your question and this is how I read the law you posted...

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student...and the weapon is a...device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile"

Sounds to me like as long as your piece is designed solely for defensive purposes you are ok.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

In Oklahoma, it is legal to have it in any vehicle in any area designated for use by vehicles Roads, Parking lots, parking garages. The one exception is any parking lot at a prison.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am) but I stripped out the extra stuff that doesn't apply to your question and this is how I read the law you posted...

"No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student...and the weapon is a...device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile"Sounds to me like as long as your piece is designed solely for defensive purposes you are ok.
    I believe that a bullet would be considered a "projectile" under the meaning of the statute. I'd mount a small gun safe in the car and park off campus as close as you can get to your class.

Thanks for the input. Anybody have experience with vehicle mounted safes that could mount under a seat or perhaps in the trunk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links