MI Traffic Stop Question - Page 2

MI Traffic Stop Question

This is a discussion on MI Traffic Stop Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My thoughts are that since you are a passenger in a vehicle that has been stopped, you should offer the info that you are a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MI Traffic Stop Question

My thoughts are that since you are a passenger in a vehicle that has been stopped, you should offer the info that you are a CPL holder and that you are or are not armed.If the LEO finds out on his own, you are in jeopardy of losing your permit and having your weapon taken.There is no reason not to volunteer the info. JMHO-Chuck.

you a better off telling them then just giveing them your cpl. My brother was pulled over in harrison,mi (he forgot to turn his lights on when he left the atm at the bank) He hads the cop dl & his cpl the cop did not know what his cpl was he asked if it was his car registartion! then he had to tell the the cop it was a cpl and he was carrying

My take on the matter is that the officer is dealing with the driver alone on the matter of the traffic stop. As long as he doesn't address me personally, he has had no official contact with me. And I am not going to complicate things by blurting out that I have a gun. If he asks my name, I will hand him my CPL and then say that I am armed.

Many people wind up in difficult situations just because they can't stay quiet. My policy is to answer any question I'm asked in a polite manner, and to volunteer nothing. Don't let your mouth get your ass in trouble.......
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    MI law states if you are stopped by LE , you are required to disclose a ccw permit. I can be argued either way ,during a vehicle stop in which you are a passenger. Use your own judgment whether to disclose or not , personally I will .
    Yep what he said, N if you do not you can loose your CCW, as it will show up when he runs you. If you are not carrying and you are stopped it is still a very good idea to disclose that you have a CCW but do are not carrying at the moment. It is better to get on the officers good side rather than risk PO'ing them off.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links