MI Traffic Stop Question

MI Traffic Stop Question

This is a discussion on MI Traffic Stop Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that if you are stopped by an officer in MI you are required to disclose that you are carrying. My question is what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MI Traffic Stop Question

MI Traffic Stop Question

I know that if you are stopped by an officer in MI you are required to disclose that you are carrying.

My question is what if you are a passenger in a car that is stopped? I think I would disclose out of courtesy to the officer, I only raise the question because I would like to know how to handle it in front friends that I would rather not know I carry.
    Thanks.

VIP Member
    Since I do not tell ANYONE I am carrying I would just sit there and mind my own business.

If the officer asked for my identification THEN I would hand him my DL and Permit.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I asked this of a state trooper and he told me if they dont talk to you dont volunteer the last thing he said he wants to hear from a passenger or anyone he is not talking to is them blurting out i have a gun

but the law doesnt require it unless the officers talk directly to you

In my experience with LEOs, they appreciate all compliance- anything that makes them feel comfortable and allows them to ratchet back the anxiety in any situation. As long as they feel comfortable you usually walk away unscathed. Now if you don't want your friends to know about your CCW I would hold off until the question is raised, "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" I feel at this point it is time to disclose. IMHO.

When I get pulled over the first thing I say to my passengers, and wife, is to say and do nothing, literally.
    Do not speak unless spoken to no matter what happens.
    Volunteering info about being CCW when you're not the focus of investigation is unnecessary. If everyone were told to exit the vehicle or some such then at that time it would become relevant and sensible to speak up.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

janq-
    Maybe this is ok in your state. but im MI it is a LAW that if u are carrying and are confronted by a peace officer you MUST immediately tell him you are carrying. Grislic- I have had the same question as you. From what I gathered, its as bud white said. Just because you are in the vehicle of someone talking to a peace officer, doesnt mean you are. If there is a good reason for you not to say anything like in your example i wouldnt. (use you own judgment, law isnt very specific). You must if you are driving and get pulled over obviously. If someone else is driving your car and you are a passenger you should as well. When a cop enters in your license plate number, if you own the car and have a cpl they will see that. or if they have your license. But any time you give an officer your license of course you should give them your CPL as well.

I used to live in MI, but moved in 2000, just prior to CCW there. We are planning on a visit in two weeks, and my plan of action while anywhere in MI is to keep my lips sealed unless spoken to...(by LE). We are going to the Northern portion of lower MI for a family reunion...I really don't want my CCW to be a topic of discussion with family I haven't yet met or haven't seen in 30 years.

Stay armed...quietly...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ust because you are in the vehicle of someone talking to a peace officer, doesnt mean you are. If there is a good reason for you not to say anything like in your example i wouldnt. (use you own judgment, law isnt very specific). You must if you are driving and get pulled over obviously. If someone else is driving your car and you are a passenger you should as well. When a cop enters in your license plate number, if you own the car and have a cpl they will see that. or if they have your license. But any time you give an officer your license of course you should give them your CPL as well.
    I agree with this statement as well from how i understand it anyway

friesepferd,

The passengers were not stopped or confronted, it was the driver.
    Now if the LEO addresses the passengers directly or in specific then yeah it's time to speak up.
    If I were in a cab or carpooling and the cabbie/driver gets pulled over for speeding or has a wreck, I'm not the one being talked to or reviewed and I'd keep my mouth shuttered. As noted by others if I'm asked for my license then right along with that I hand over my state relevant concealed carry license as well whether I'm state law bound to do so or not.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    MI law states if you are stopped by LE , you are required to disclose a ccw permit. I can be argued either way ,during a vehicle stop in which you are a passenger. Use your own judgment whether to disclose or not , personally I will .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

me
    Seek Legal advise from Legal council. Since this is a touchy subject that is the best advise.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Be sure of your states laws (as well as the laws of the States you are traveling in). In OH, even if you are just a passenger in a vehicle that is involved in a traffic stop, you are required to inform the officer of the fact that you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    In my experience with LEOs, they appreciate all compliance- anything that makes them feel comfortable and allows them to ratchet back the anxiety in any situation. As long as they feel comfortable you usually walk away unscathed. Now if you don't want your friends to know about your CCW I would hold off until the question is raised, "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" I feel at this point it is time to disclose. IMHO.
    That is a good response. As long as you are totally concealed. Some people take their jacket off in the car and have an open carry situation. Traffic stops are very stressful for us. If it's truly concealed and you don't have to tell, no sweat. IMO, I would like to know as I think most cops would. For God's sake at least show us your hands and don't fidget with things.

If you took off your jacket or overshirt and are now not concealed it would be best to disclose it immediately. I can speak for the majority of cops and say that you don't want me to find your "concealed" gun before you tell me about it. That just spikes the stress levels and flicks the survival switch. I also think most cops are pro-carry and they won't give you a hassle.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I just wonder what happens when my wife, 2 girls and son get pulled over all plates are in my name, I wonder if the LE will ask them if they have any firearms?
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroittwister View Post
    I just wonder what happens when my wife, 2 girls and son get pulled over all plates are in my name, I wonder if the LE will ask them if they have any firearms?
    Probably, make sure they know to keep their hands visible,and turn on the dome light if its dark.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links